Main Menu

Top Gun: Maverick

Started by Eclipse, July 19, 2019, 12:03:57 AM

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Fester on July 19, 2019, 05:59:50 AM
A bit of trivia.....

What song was the most played song of the 20th century?  Hint:  It's on the soundtrack of the original film.

Take My Breath Away?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

QuoteIn the interest of not violating site policy, I'll refrain from naming.

Giggle. Snicker, snicker.  ;D
Joseph J. Clune

Fester

Quote from: shuman14 on July 19, 2019, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: Fester on July 19, 2019, 05:59:50 AM
A bit of trivia.....

What song was the most played song of the 20th century?  Hint:  It's on the soundtrack of the original film.

Take My Breath Away?

"You've Lost That Loving Feeling"

Played on American radio and TV more than 8 million times.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

Found another couple of things, added to the screwy Rhino cockpit, the incorrect reference to guys with triple kills, and the lack of flight gloves.

4. Check out his cruise patches on the back of his jacket when he puts it on. They've altered the WESTPAC cruise patches to remove the Taiwanese and Japanese flags. (Talk about not wanting to offend our debt masters from Communist China).

5. Why in the world would Fallon stage the ramp as shown, with the jets nearly nose to nose? Its not an Elephant Walk, and there's no room to taxi out.

6. I'd noticed this a few months ago when they came out with the poster, but now I see its in the film; Maverick has on a nonstandard helmet, the old HGU-34/P flight helmet with MBU-14/P oxygen mask. Today's Rhino drivers would wear the correct HGU-68/P flight helmet with MBU-23/P oxygen mask, and a JHMCS (Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System) kit.

Note: the 68/P is a good helmet - far better than the 34 and even better than some later helmets. We tested it against the Alpha HGU-86/P helmet and determined to shelve the design and go with the 68 instead. If Mav is flying with an outdated helmet, he won't be able to employ the HOBS (high off boresight) targeting functionality of his air to air weapons properly, nor will he be able to build threat SA using the provided JHMCS cues.  No patch wearing FWS instructor would violate TTPs so blatantly in an instructor role.

I'm trying to hold on to the suspension of disbelief!!!

Danger Zone!
- Spam

Luis R. Ramos

This film is supposed to be FICTION and COMEDY, not actual. For a correct helmet match to the airplane, make a documentary.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Yeah. Luis, part of the fun here (for many of us in aviation) is to count the number of hilarious Hollywood goofs and things they took extreme license to. I worked with a guy (call sign Yak) who was an advisor on the first film; everyone ribbed him about briefings in hangars with cowboy hats, "trophies and plaques" at Top Gun, dumping fuel at the perch before BFM, all that sort of stuff (he took the good natured ribbing well, because we all LOVE The Movie).

So, I'm not saying anything about the F-22 Raptor test pilot plaque at 1:16 that Maverick uses as a sunglasses holder. I worked with two Naval Aviators on that program (exchange guys). What I would call BS on is that the plaque lists him as an O-6 at the time of assignment! (so that's my number what, seven)?

Then, there's that pressure helmet in the clip... U-2 pilots still wear full suits, not the same ensemble as Raptor guys at 60K, but full suits. What IS a thing to have fun with, is that there's absolutely no need for integral helmet facial lighting (as shown!) to make Tom Cruise look so good for the tight shots! (Its the same thing as in The Abyss, or other films... good fun though). Is that number 8?

LOL

I'm just having fun with it; we could actually turn this into an AE discussion, of sorts (i.e. "what actual, real mishaps were used to create the asymmetric thrust flat spins as shown in the 86 film", and "how was Gooses fatal mishap representative of an actual aft cockpit mishap, with his seat full up and his head higher than the canopy breaker points on the GRU-7 seat"). Many of the things that get into films like this are actually good bases for interesting classes. When the (horribly bad) movie "Stealth" came out, I used a clip to intro an AE night class on weapons delivery; I pointed out that with current gen standoff weapons with configurable impact profiles, it is absolutely insane to do a slow climb straight up and push over to manually drop a gravity bomb straight down an elevator shaft, in the middle of a presumed threat envelope. Our cadets really got into the discussion of how actual JDAMs, JSOWs, and weapon data links work, and that's great stuff.

So... we can have fun, make a little fun of it, and use it constructively to inspire. At least, that's my intent.

Cheers (TL/DR?)
Spam

EDIT: USN/USMC Raptor drivers were not necessarily TPS grads.

SarDragon

There are those of us who have had more direct contact with the subject matter who ask - "What's so hard about using more realistic and correct pilot gear when shooting these movies?"

Seeing all this crap detracts from what might otherwise be a good flick.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

I would have no problem with seeing original stuff, or as near as original as they could get in films that purport to be serious about the event. But in one that does not even try to be serious, that is more comedy than reality, I do not care.

For instance, in A Bridge Too Far, I really would not have accepted a Bazooka for a PIAT, in the scene where the British fire the PIAT into the German tank.

That is why when in The Longest Day they show the Germans firing the M45 4 caliber 50 gun mount instead of the 20 mm Flakvierling, it kinda sets me off.   

On the other hand, in 1941 I would have accepted a 105 mm Howitzer for the 40 mm.

As I said, I do not consider Top Gun a serious film.
Squadron Safety Officer

Spam

Those are good points, Luis. I hear what you're saying there.

You never know, they might work to fix some of the most glaring gaffes in post production. They've got half a year to the release date.

V/r
Spam

MSG Mac

I was expecting Cruise to be sitting at the local Legion hall, talking bout the good old days and telling sea stories.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 21, 2019, 03:34:47 AM
I was expecting Cruise to be sitting at the local Legion hall, talking bout the good old days and telling sea stories.

You're using logic....  ::)

etodd

Who is the female lead in this one? After working with Cruise in the first film, his female lead came out of the closet. What will happen to this new one. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 21, 2019, 12:51:11 AM

Hence it's not being called a documentary.  Not for detailed study.  Its just a fun film for entertainment. Like Star Wars.

(May be a bad analogy. I know too many folks that take Star Wars ... and Star Trek ... WAY too seriously. LOL )
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Spam

Quote from: etodd on July 21, 2019, 04:35:01 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 21, 2019, 12:51:11 AM

Hence it's not being called a documentary.  Not for detailed study.  Its just a fun film for entertainment. Like Star Wars.

(May be a bad analogy. I know too many folks that take Star Wars ... and Star Trek ... WAY too seriously. LOL )

Ah. The Historical Documents! Yes, all very true.
Gilligan's Island (those poor people).

Why, all those Historical Documents must be equally valid... just look at the CAP member in the highly similar one, below! (Sorry/not sorry, Eric):

There's a long history of SF inspiring Cadets (like me) to go into engineering, and the resulting engineering to then inspire SF. It is not necessarily an unhealthy thing, as long as one can channel it into hitting the books hard and staying in school, rather than degenerating into a couch sitting nebbish who never grows and still lives at home. My home Squadron swapped meeting nights to WED back in 1967, because the cadet staff all wanted to watch Star Trek on THU nights...

So, in terms of using Top Gun, science fiction, or whatever as inspiration, I say bravo (as long as the escapist fun doesn't become an end unto itself).

See:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/50-years-of-nasa-and-star-trek-connections

Spam

Some alternate universe Maverick outcomes, after the 1986 movie:

2. Implicated in Tailhook '91 and is cashiered, having been caught on film getting handsy with Paula Coughlin at the Vegas Hilton. (To be fair, in 97 percent of alternate timelines he falls victim to his own bad behavior and never even makes it to the #metoo era).

3. Always moody, Maverick spirals into a depressive state after the mid 2000s retirement of the F-14, goes AWOL, and is last seen in a back booth at McGuire's at Pcola, mumbling off-key Righteous Brothers lyrics into his drink.

4. After his nineteenth TRICARE referral without an actual exam, Maverick succumbs to an easily treatable social disease in 1989, still clutching his stack of TRICARE paperwork in the waiting room. His body isn't noticed by staff until sweepers is finally called on the afternoon of the fourth day.

5. Having finally made one too many high speed low level passes over ATC towers (and Admirals daughters) Maverick is finally reassigned as an MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) officer at NAS Keflavik, delivering high-quality, customer-focused programs and services that contribute to resiliency, retention, readiness, and quality of life. While he initially makes the best of it, hoping to access young ladies via the provision of Fleet & Family Readiness (FFR) Training and Learning Events for all FFR employees, regardless of Non-Appropriated (NAF) or Appropriated Fund (APF)/GS status, rank or grade, he ultimately realizes that Iceland isn't a growth opportunity. In 2019 he is still there (still as an O-3), having remained as the sole base caretaker after the 2006 base shutdown. He looks an awful lot like Fat Thor now.

6. Maverick, having done a tour at N88 as the fighter requirements officer, manages to meet his only stated goal: to push through a validated requirement for a Pepsi bottle dispenser added to the F-35 cockpit. He is given a glowing FITREP, is promoted CAPT and finally RADM, and is placed in command of the JSF Program Office. He retires with honor and secures a massively rewarding job with Lockheed. In the spring of 2020, his name is put before the Senate as yet another replacement Secretary of Defense.
Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hUvoiYiCLw

7. Beset by a late 90s RIF, Maverick (who is then watching his marriage to Charlie go down the tubes due to his absence on back to back deployments and her ascending career at NAVAIR) separates from the Navy. Due to the multiple flight violations on his record, he can only accept a job flying loads of rubber dog [poop] out of Hong Kong. In 2001, while flying northeast of Hanoi, he witnesses the harassment of a Navy EP-3 by a Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) J-8II interceptor. Maverick, in the gutsiest move ever seen, jettisons his cargo into the Jian-8's intakes, driving him off and saving the day for the Navy aircraft. He is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and has a hall named after him in Annapolis.

8. Class of 1981 Reunion notes: "Pete Mitchell, Class of '81, is a civilian instructor at the Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey. He is happily married to Tom Kazansky, Class of '80. They live in Big Sur and have two dogs".

V/r
Spam
"TAILHOOK '91... I WASNT THERE MAN"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Spam on July 21, 2019, 07:18:57 AM

Some alternate universe Maverick outcomes, after the 1986 movie:

2. Implicated in Tailhook '91 and is cashiered, having been caught on film getting handsy with Paula Coughlin at the Vegas Hilton. (To be fair, in 97 percent of alternate timelines he falls victim to his own bad behavior and never even makes it to the #metoo era).

3. Always moody, Maverick spirals into a depressive state after the mid 2000s retirement of the F-14, goes AWOL, and is last seen in a back booth at McGuire's at Pcola, mumbling off-key Righteous Brothers lyrics into his drink.

4. After his nineteenth TRICARE referral without an actual exam, Maverick succumbs to an easily treatable social disease in 1989, still clutching his stack of TRICARE paperwork in the waiting room. His body isn't noticed by staff until sweepers is finally called on the afternoon of the fourth day.

5. Having finally made one too many high speed low level passes over ATC towers (and Admirals daughters) Maverick is finally reassigned as an MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) officer at NAS Keflavik, delivering high-quality, customer-focused programs and services that contribute to resiliency, retention, readiness, and quality of life. While he initially makes the best of it, hoping to access young ladies via the provision of Fleet & Family Readiness (FFR) Training and Learning Events for all FFR employees, regardless of Non-Appropriated (NAF) or Appropriated Fund (APF)/GS status, rank or grade, he ultimately realizes that Iceland isn't a growth opportunity. In 2019 he is still there (still as an O-3), having remained as the sole base caretaker after the 2006 base shutdown. He looks an awful lot like Fat Thor now.

6. Maverick, having done a tour at N88 as the fighter requirements officer, manages to meet his only stated goal: to push through a validated requirement for a Pepsi bottle dispenser added to the F-35 cockpit. He is given a glowing FITREP, is promoted CAPT and finally RADM, and is placed in command of the JSF Program Office. He retires with honor and secures a massively rewarding job with Lockheed. In the spring of 2020, his name is put before the Senate as yet another replacement Secretary of Defense.
Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hUvoiYiCLw

7. Beset by a late 90s RIF, Maverick (who is then watching his marriage to Charlie go down the tubes due to his absence on back to back deployments and her ascending career at NAVAIR) separates from the Navy. Due to the multiple flight violations on his record, he can only accept a job flying loads of rubber dog [poop] out of Hong Kong. In 2001, while flying northeast of Hanoi, he witnesses the harassment of a Navy EP-3 by a Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) J-8II interceptor. Maverick, in the gutsiest move ever seen, jettisons his cargo into the Jian-8's intakes, driving him off and saving the day for the Navy aircraft. He is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and has a hall named after him in Annapolis.

8. Class of 1981 Reunion notes: "Pete Mitchell, Class of '81, is a civilian instructor at the Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey. He is happily married to Tom Kazansky, Class of '80. They live in Big Sur and have two dogs".

V/r
Spam
"TAILHOOK '91... I WASNT THERE MAN"

I'm disappointed. Not one of those stories included a reference to him being "#1 in his class at Civil Air Patrol."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

Another one that states "its for entertainment, not a documentary." So again, why the insistence on exact, correct helmets?

Are you gonna look at the bullets or missiles fired and say "they are not real bullets or missiles, its Hollywood magic."
Squadron Safety Officer

OldGuy

PHall

Quote from: OldGuy on July 21, 2019, 02:22:20 PM
'Top Gun' sequel, co-produced by China's Tencent, appears to remove Japanese, Taiwanese flags

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/20/asia-pacific/top-gun-sequel-appears-remove-japanese-taiwanese-flags/#.XTR0vuhKiUl

How is this a surprise? The guys providing the money have ALWAYS called the shots in the movie industry. Nothing new here.