Achievement 9 Mentoring

Started by luv2fly97, September 16, 2014, 04:37:57 AM

luv2fly97

So I'm almost finished with achievement 9/flight commander. all I have left is "mentoring. I asked my squadron commander, and he told me to "do my research", AKA he doesn't know, lol.  I have been looking for hours, and I still have nothing. is there anyone out there who has completed this, or knows what I have to do?,

I would like to get it done by the end of the month so I can start working on 1st Lt.

Thank you all,

Luv2fly97 :)

Eclipse

Do you understand what "mentoring" is?

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: luv2fly97 on September 16, 2014, 04:37:57 AM
I asked my squadron commander, and he told me to "do my research", AKA he doesn't know, lol.

Or maybe, just maybe, he doesn't want to present the answer to you on a silver platter.

It's probably a good guess your Squadron CC knows what "mentoring" is.

luv2fly97

yes, I know and understand what mentoring is, but I want to know if there are any guidelines as to what I am supposed to do. I  am the CC, and I asked my squadron commander again, and he said he doesn't know.  I know I am supposed to be a mentor, but I do not know what I have to do to get it signed off, as it is all I have left for achievement 9

AirAux

Tell him you don't understand and exactly what does he need for you to do to be able to sign it off for you.  This process is not supposed to be a guessing game or "gotcha" game.   

kwe1009

Sounds like the squadron commander needs some mentoring too.

Майор Хаткевич

This is something that was covered in your leadership texts, and CAPR 52-16. You really should know this by your Mitchell.

If you need any help: http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/Cadet_Super_Chart__low_1BBD4C1E6F725.pdf

Cadetter

Activities, here http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/achievement-9-flight-commander/

Also 3rd to last sentence under Aerospace. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be on

Don't know either helps or not - haven't gotten there yet.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

And thusly a textbook example of appointing a cadet to a position inappropriate to his grade and experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

luv2fly97

Thanks guys for the help, I talked to the AE officer last night, and he said I had to mentor a cadet in one of the AE modules, and once the cadet passes the test, I can get it signed off.

Eclipse

From CAPP 52-6:

"3. The unit commander should identify senior members, cadet sponsor members, and Phase III or Phase IV cadets to serve as aerospace education mentors (see CAPR 52-16). This authority may be delegated. The purpose here is to guide the cadets towards mastery of the aerospace education texts. This relationship should last longer than just one AE achievement; otherwise, this relationship is more like a "substitute teacher." The tutoring relationship should last for as long as the cadet takes to complete Phase I (about 6 months to 1 year) and/or Phase II (another 10 months to 2 years) of the cadet program. Mentoring the cadets, in this example, may be accomplished through a variety of methods, to include:
a.The mentor works with the cadet one-on-one in reviewing the AE chapter before the cadet tests.
b.The mentor works with the cadet to go over text sections of the questions missed on the AE achievement exam. The mentor will not have access to the test or answers. Rather, the testing officer will give the cadet the corresponding AE section areas of the questions missed. These section areas are listed next to the question answer on the answer key. The cadet should then work with the mentor on the section area(s) that needs review prior to the cadet re-testing to obtain the 100% score."

Suggested reading on the topic of mentoring:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_006_204F34CBD9CF4.pdf

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P050_007.pdf

Though directed at Senior members, and fairly old, both have good in formation on mentoring and
what CAP considers appropriate in this regard.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Since we're going the spoon-feeding route...

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_006_204F34CBD9CF4.pdf

Of course CAPR 52-16, which you should have read and studied prior to taking the Mitchell exam and the Cadet Super Chart were a good place to start.

PA Guy

I'm always amazed at the number of cadet officers who have never read CAPR 52-16 and some who don't even know what it is. It boggles the mind that they are so ignorant of the bible of THEIR program.

Eclipse

Even more so the ones who engage in discussions with experienced members on either some minutia they
think they have "discovered", or on a point they only know about via wive's tales yet "sounds true", but
they never looked it up themselves.

This issue comes up a lot when you deal with cadets in the encampment environment, especially
smaller squadrons.

By the time you call yourself s cadet officer, you should know 52-16 inside and out, especially on
any point which is a testing or general service issue like mentoring, since by the first pip you should
have benefited from mentoring enough to know what it is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

IMO 52-16 should be added to the WBA requirements.
Earhart Award, 2018

Майор Хаткевич

52-16 should be a required study subject from day 1.

Cadetter

General knowledge of it should be required in Phase 1 - very good understanding at least starting in Phase 2.

(Reminder to self: Finish reading all of 52-16.)
Earhart Award, 2018

Майор Хаткевич

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2014, 03:33:38 PM...especially on any point which is a testing or general service issue like mentoring, since by the first pip you should have benefited from mentoring enough to know what it is.
Except... not all cadets receive the mentoring they should.
Earhart Award, 2018

luv2fly97

Sorry that I was not "instructed" enough as to what I had to do. I've been the highest ranking cadet in my squadron since I was a SSgt. all the officers hated me and never taught me what I needed to know, instead they put all there time into cadets who quit right away when they left, leaving me with nothing. and my squadron commander has absolutely NO idea what he is doing. so I am trying to do my best. I asked on her hoping to actually get an answer, but all I really got was a "YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS IF YOU ARE AN OFFICER".  I eventually had to go to my AE officer, who only shows up once a month right now. and I didn't want to wait for him to show up, because, as I said before, I only had mentoring left for the achievement, and wanted it signed off ASAP. I have the mentoring for the most part finished now.