Blue Beret primary slotting

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, March 05, 2019, 07:03:36 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I'm currently listed as alternate for the Blue Beret NCSA. How likely is someone to decline a position for Blue Beret so that I may be listed as primary?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jhighman

I can't speak to the odds, but if it helps, everyone is an alternate for any NCSA until the primary slotting is complete. Keep the faith!

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: jhighman on March 05, 2019, 07:05:02 PM
I can't speak to the odds, but if it helps, everyone is an alternate for any NCSA until the primary slotting is complete. Keep the faith!

When is the primary slotting complete?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

PHall

They always seem to be needing people right before the event starts because of last minute drops and such.
So if you really want to go stay available. You might be getting a phone call.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: PHall on March 05, 2019, 07:31:33 PM
They always seem to be needing people right before the event starts because of last minute drops and such.
So if you really want to go stay available. You might be getting a phone call.

But I could go to multiple NCSA's?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

MSG Mac

Yes, there are many cadets who manage multiple Special Activities in one year.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 05, 2019, 08:03:24 PM
Yes, there are many cadets who manage multiple Special Activities in one year.

Is there any certain date that alternates must be changed to primary by? Or could it happen at anytime before the activity?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Airplane girl

A lot of people who were originally alternates are selected to go to NBB. That happened to me my first year. You have a pretty good chance if you complete all of the required qualifications as soon as possible, which you can find here:

http://nbb.cap.gov/faqs.html

And you can be selected any time before the activity starts. A person in my flight became a primary about one week before NBB started.

Good luck!

MSG Mac

There are probably several dropouts by the time the lists were published. When the paperwork and payment deadlines come due, they will drop anyone who hasn't fulfilled those requirements and start contacting alternates the following day. As stated by previous posters you can be contacted anytime upto the beginning of the activity.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jeders

Speaking solely to NBB, there are about 4 alternates for each primary selected. Within a month or two that number will drop down to about 2 alternates for each primary as cadets, both primary and alternate, decline NBB in favor of other activities. As the event gets nearer, there is always a chance that several of the remaining primaries will be dropped by the NBB staff for failure to complete the prerequisite training requirements.

Generally speaking, when a primary has to be replaced with an alternate, they will choose first from the alternates that have all of their required training completed. So if you want to increase your chances, get those quals done early.

As for timing, I've seen primaries replaced with an alternate on the first day of the activity.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: jeders on March 06, 2019, 04:34:21 PM
Speaking solely to NBB, there are about 4 alternates for each primary selected. Within a month or two that number will drop down to about 2 alternates for each primary as cadets, both primary and alternate, decline NBB in favor of other activities. As the event gets nearer, there is always a chance that several of the remaining primaries will be dropped by the NBB staff for failure to complete the prerequisite training requirements.

Generally speaking, when a primary has to be replaced with an alternate, they will choose first from the alternates that have all of their required training completed. So if you want to increase your chances, get those quals done early.

As for timing, I've seen primaries replaced with an alternate on the first day of the activity.

I've already completed all of my requirements.
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Capmonkey

I was lucky enough to get slotted as a primary. I'm thinking because it's my first NCSA, and I had all the requirements done, I got selected.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Capmonkey on March 06, 2019, 06:58:10 PM
I was lucky enough to get slotted as a primary. I'm thinking because it's my first NCSA, and I had all the requirements done, I got selected.

I had it listed as my first choice and had all the requirements done. So how come I wasn't selected as primary?  :-\
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Capmonkey

Color Guard Rifleman

Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Capmonkey

You also have to remember, with me, I'm a C/Lt Col, with 5 years in, 0 NCSA's. That boosts my points substantially, plus green-lighting. I had 154 total points.

Color Guard Rifleman

I had 136 points. How far down the list do you think I am for alternates in your opinion?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Capmonkey

Being that this is my first NCSA, I'm not in a position to speak, nor will I speak on this. If I'm not mistaken, you made a post inquiring as how to decline. You're a C/SMSgt. It's not the end of the world not getting NBB. Go do the other NCSA's you were accepted for, and power on.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Capmonkey on March 06, 2019, 07:21:25 PM
Being that this is my first NCSA, I'm not in a position to speak, nor will I speak on this. If I'm not mistaken, you made a post inquiring as how to decline. You're a C/SMSgt. It's not the end of the world not getting NBB. Go do the other NCSA's you were accepted for, and power on.

The thing is I'm busy during most other ones due to me staffing this year's MIWG Encampment as a First Sergeant. So it would really help if I could go to Blue Beret as how it would be more convenient. Also, I'm 17 yrs old, so I don't have much time left
Recruiting NCO

See the source image