Main Menu

AM I a wannbee???????

Started by flyguy06, September 27, 2009, 09:01:13 PM

flyguy06

Quote from: RRLE on September 30, 2009, 11:05:40 AM
QuoteMy reference to the CG Aux wasnt about titles. It was about how they have no problem wearing a uniform that looks exactly like their parent organization yet we in CAP want to wear a civilain style uniform.

You will get into this same arguement in the Aux. On their main discussion board, they are having this arguement right now. There is a significant number of Auxies and Coasties who think the Aux should wear a different uniform for many of the same reasons it is brought up in CAP: members who wear it incorrectly, out of shape etc. And since the Aux and the Coast Guard work more directly with the public there is the on-going discussion of Auxies impersonating (deliberately or not) Coast Guard officers and deceiving the pubic.

The Aux doesn't have a Corporate Uniform like CAP but it does have a Blue Blazer outift, two polo shirt outfits and a t-shirt option.

The organizations are different but the issues are the same.

Thats my oint. We need to ensure hat mewmbers wear their uniforms correctly and if they do not meet height and weight standards then they should wear the alternate "military" style uniform. Now how do you enforce this with volunteers? You empower Squadron Commanders. Train Commanders to counsel members and if neccessary take dicsiplinary actions if members do not comply.

SarDragon

And what disciplinary actions do you suggest?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

I really haven't seen a problem when it comes to correcting senior members about uniform wear.   It normally just takes a few words in private to correct poor behavior.  About the biggest thing is letting a few members know that their hair was really too long for a military style uniform. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PHall

Flyguy, two things. Your spelling sucks, take a second to look your post over before you hit the "Post" button please.

And just what kind of Disciplinary Actions are you thinking of? Most Commanders only have two available to them, suspension and 2b. Both require a lot of documentation. Is an uniform infraction worth that kind of pain?

jpizzo127

Quote from: Fubar on September 30, 2009, 05:41:24 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 29, 2009, 11:36:56 PMI have heard the term "secret squirrel" used derisively quite often in my real CAP life.

This is frequently thrown around at my local GA airport. Apparently a number of folks have tried to strike up conversations with CAP members before/after missions and the crews refuse to provide any information about what they're up to, even when on training missions or proficiency flights. Seems like a missed recruiting opportunity to me.

That's OPSEC and its mandatory.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

heliodoc

OPSEC??  Again??

Form 5's and proficiency flights

Unless somebody is rolling in a GA8  ......  maybe.....  Maybe Predator Surrogate

Secret squirrel stuff ....... you mean like flying FEMA and flood/ photo flights...OPSEC ..are you really kidding me??

There goes that stuff like throwing OPSEC around again ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

NCRblues

opsec in day to day operations of cap... LOVE IT ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

"Hey Kid, I saw you guys doing pushups and stuff over there, what's that about?"

"I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to discuss that with you..."

"Oh, well why are you wearing a uniform?"

"I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to discuss that with you..."

"Is that your organization's plane over there with the Civil Air Patrol markers on it?"

"I can't neither confirm, nor deny that information."

Good Grief...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

Quote from: jpizzo127 on October 01, 2009, 03:02:47 PM
Quote from: Fubar on September 30, 2009, 05:41:24 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 29, 2009, 11:36:56 PMI have heard the term "secret squirrel" used derisively quite often in my real CAP life.

This is frequently thrown around at my local GA airport. Apparently a number of folks have tried to strike up conversations with CAP members before/after missions and the crews refuse to provide any information about what they're up to, even when on training missions or proficiency flights. Seems like a missed recruiting opportunity to me.

That's OPSEC and its mandatory.

Wrong, and that attitude is part of our collective problem.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Spike

^ I don't think this stuff happens that often. 

RRLE

Quote^ I don't think this stuff happens that often. 

Be careful there, there might be another poll in your future.  ;)

Fubar

Quote from: Spike on October 01, 2009, 07:37:00 PM^ I don't think this stuff happens that often.

Maybe it does, but nobody is telling you. OPSEC you know.  ;D

NCRblues

That's right even if opsec was used, you would never know, because they couldn't tell you, because of opsec..... Also this post never happened if anyone asked...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 01, 2009, 03:31:57 AM
Quote from: RRLE on September 30, 2009, 11:05:40 AM

Thats my oint. We need to ensure hat mewmbers wear their uniforms correctly and if they do not meet height and weight standards then they should wear the alternate "military" style uniform. Now how do you enforce this with volunteers? You empower Squadron Commanders. Train Commanders to counsel members and if neccessary take dicsiplinary actions if members do not comply.
Commander's already have the power to enforce uniform wear standards.   Surely this "enforcement" power is more as gentle pursuasion to the members, rather than some military fantansy (that some have) of barking out orders.  Frankly CAP shouldn't be calling any uniform an "alternative", but should basically called it the corporate uniforms appropriate for wear by all senior members.  BTW I think you will find that the basic CAP uniform for CAP senior members is the white aviator shirt & grey pants, along with the appropriate name tag & epaulets.   My experience is that the golf shirt wearers seem to be the smarter & very productive contributing members of CAP  -- they don't have to prove anything to anyone (BTW and that includes wear at an AF SAREX evaluation).  Some of the dumbest people I've met seem to wear a great mlitary style uniform & have a great haircut, and meet weight standards  --our great for PA photo shoots, but don't let them be interviewed because the fantasy will disappear >:D
RM

fightingfalcon

I would rather have everything told to me so I can wear the proper uniform and listen to the orders.
Cadet airman

SarDragon

Quote from: fightingfalcon on October 13, 2009, 11:54:52 PM
I would rather have everything told to me so I can wear the proper uniform and listen to the orders.

Keep in mind that some of the folks telling you things about uniforms might be giving you incorrect information. A prime example is the use of the term 'Class As' referring to the Service Dress uniform. It's 100% wrong, but some will say that they learned it that way from Major Hoobenfratz, who's been in CAP forever, so it must be correct.

Look it up for yourself. Then you will have a better understanding of what's right and wrong.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

[edit to change correct to incorrect]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2009, 01:30:16 AMKeep in mind that some of the folks telling you things about uniforms might be giving you correct information. A prime example is the use of the term 'Class As' referring to the Service Dress uniform. It's 100% wrong, but some will say that they learned it that way from Major Hoobenfratz, who's been in CAP forever, so it must be correct.

Look it up for yourself. Then you will have a better understanding of what's right and wrong.

I'm reminded of the phrase: "Trust, but verify." Anyone fully aware of the facts won't mind. Personally, I'm happy to hear someone say, "I actually looked that up..."