Main Menu

AM I a wannbee???????

Started by flyguy06, September 27, 2009, 09:01:13 PM

flyguy06

Am I a wannbee because I choose to wear the military style uniforms as opposed to the blue golf shirt or CAP distinctive uniform? and because I want to be addressed by my rank?

Eclipse

No, you are a CAP member acting properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I wear the AF uniform.  Most of the time, with my ribbons.  I dont go over board with wanting to be addressed by my rank however I dont discourage it by any means.  What I do insist on in my unit is that when Seniors are around cadets, we are formal.  However, when the seniors are together, we do not expect to be addressed formally.  You are a Lt., Capt. Major etc in CAP, so you are not a 'wannabe" by wanting to be addressed as such. 
I think what can sometimes happen is when some members assume someone is in CAP because you couldnt handle the "real" military so you are getting you kicks off of a CAP title.  However, in your case your a little different because you are also an Army Infantry officer outside of CAP. 
I know at work, I address the Captain as Captain and the Sgt as Sgt!
With non-CAP members, ie. parents, I introduce myself by my first name.  Just my choice, however, I have parents with a military past who, on their own, address me as Captain.

I see nothing wrong with CAP members addressing each other by their ranks.

Fireball

I wannabee...

a better citizen, so I VOLUNTEER.

a better CAP officer, so I stay current with regs and study leadership.

a better role model, so I stay in shape and wear my uniforms properly.

able to make a difference in the short time I am granted on this earth.

I AM A WANNABE!
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

Chicago_Pilot

Quote from: Fireball on September 27, 2009, 09:35:23 PM
I wannabee...

I AM A WANNABE!

Agree.  I just wannabee a good CAP member.  If I wanted to join the RM, I would.

lordmonar

Quote from: Fireball on September 27, 2009, 09:35:23 PM
I wannabee...

I AM A WANNABE!
+2

Nicely said.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

Thanks. I just read a comment by someone else onthis board and it got me to wondering.

Major Carrales

I, too, have been called a "wannabe" by people on this and other forums for the same reasons you cite in you thread.  That anyone would make such a comment to you here reflects that idea that I rail against...the "self-loathing of CAP."

There are some here who cannot accept that CAP is what it is and that we need not apologize for it.

Again...be more proud of what we are than ashamed of what we are not.

Oh, and don't fret anyone, we will weed out those few that disgrace us all by exercising the behaviors that are very unbecoming...such as demanding salutes of active duty, disingenuously carrying  "swagger sticks" and throwing weight around.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 28, 2009, 12:59:19 AM
Oh, and don't fret anyone, we will weed out those few that disgrace us all by exercising the behaviors that are very unbecoming...such as demanding salutes of active duty, disingenuously carrying  "swagger sticks" and throwing weight around.

Yeah, Styles would have made a great CAP pilot!   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2009, 01:11:07 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 28, 2009, 12:59:19 AM

Yeah, Styles would have made a great CAP pilot!   :D

Ah...trying to break the Enterprise's Speed records...eh?  Honestly, I often wonder what happened to Styles in Star Trek canon?  I suspect he became some sort of Admiral working in a less than stellar office.

I am also reminded of Chekov.  He was first officer of the USS Reliant when Khan took over. Seems like his career stalled after that, I don't believe he ever made Captain.

To bring this back into the fray of the topic.  What do you suppose happens to CAP Officers who are "paragons" of CAP virtue and get called wannabes? I mean, we all espouse proper uniform wear, professional demeanor and sprit d'corps...but when those that live it are chastised for it with this insult?

It makes me question some people on this board and what they really want. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

We revel in it!

Call me a wannabe....just like I love to be called a Trekkie!

Back when I was 2....I learned "sticks and stones can break my bones...but names will never hurt me".

I also learned the phrase "If the shoe fits...wear it".

Both of these apply.

Are there some who are too tied up with the USAFAUX aspect of our ogranisation....sure there are.....just about as many who are too tied up with the "aero club" aspect of our organisation. 

It takes a village....that is it takes all sorts of people to work together to make this thing we call CAP work.

The key is that we should all be leaders and use what we got to get the mission done. ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Larry Mangum

Quote from: lordmonar on September 28, 2009, 03:03:54 AM
It takes a village....that is it takes all sorts of people to work together to make this thing we call CAP work.

And like every village we have our idiots!

And I am not taking a shot at Lord Monar, just continuing his statement.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 27, 2009, 09:01:13 PM
Am I a wannbee because I choose to wear the military style uniforms as opposed to the blue golf shirt or CAP distinctive uniform? and because I want to be addressed by my rank?
Wearing the military style uniforms require a relatively significant outlay of funds to do it right.  Many members lack the proper outwearer (coats) for these type of uniforms.   Compliance as far as proper haircut, weight standards, & even hat wear vary greatly.
As far as as being addressed by your rank, fine when involved with cadets & with others involved in a formal type gathering.   Unlikely to make you popular with other senior members if this insistence carries over to informal times.

Please remember we are CIVIL Air Patrol.  You aren't in the military.  Don't let your rank go to your head ;).   Perhaps it's just my experience,  but it seems that I find that there's more "goof balls"  wearing the AF style uniforms,  versus the corporate type options. 
RM 

jimmydeanno

I must be missing something.

I swear the only place I ever hear this type of talk is here.  I've been doing CAP now for nearly 13 years and have yet to be met with disdain or accusations of being a wannabe. 

Prior military members that bring their children to us to be cadets seem to be supportive of what we/I do.

Parents that have no association with the military seem to be supportive of what we/I do.

My family has no issues.

We meet on an Air Guard Base and get invited to all the base events.  The Guard members on base actively pursue helping us and inviting us to things.  We even hold a model rocketry day for the Guard dependents.

My last unit, same thing.  No disdain, no wannabe accusations - just a mutual respect.

Maybe its just the people I work with in CAP. I've never had to have any of these discussions with anyone, except here.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

I'm not sure I've ever been called a "wannabe". I've seen more than a few cases here, but I don't know if it's ever been directed at me.

I think of some of the "wannabe's" here show cases of using military terminology that's not in our pubs or doesn't apply. It would be one thing if the member is current or former military and uses terminology out of habit because they don't know what we call it yet. It's another thing entirely when it's people calling things and procedures by terms we don't use.

I wear the military type uniforms because I've got loads of them that were issued to me. I've got them, it would be wasteful for me not to use them. I wear them properly; I expect the same of others; and to that end I set a proper example.

I don't expect CAP members to act with the same amount of military bearing that I do. I've got 20 plus years of the habits, and they show when I'm not even wearing the uniform. I do expect fellow CAP members to act like professionals, which is simply acting in a civilized manner. Screaming, yelling, loud conversation for the sake of attention is inappropriate in any setting.

As to rank, I don't bother, I introduce myself by name. My rank is either on my collar or my shoulder, so it's not like I have to tell someone. To a CAP member it's obvious, to a non member it probably doesn't even matter. I have always been amused by those in the military that introduce themselves by rank and then name. It's not like I can't tell their rank.

Nick

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 29, 2009, 02:02:17 PM
We meet on an Air Guard Base and get invited to all the base events.  The Guard members on base actively pursue helping us and inviting us to things.  We even hold a model rocketry day for the Guard dependents.

That is outstanding. I wish I saw a lot more active duty/guard/reserve interaction with tenant CAP units than I do.  I spent about 7 years in the CAP squadron at Lackland and saw near-zero interaction.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

flyguy06

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 29, 2009, 01:53:33 PM
Wearing the military style uniforms require a relatively significant outlay of funds to do it right.  Many members lack the proper outwearer (coats) for these type of uniforms.   Compliance as far as proper haircut, weight standards, & even hat wear vary greatly.
As far as as being addressed by your rank, fine when involved with cadets & with others involved in a formal type gathering.   Unlikely to make you popular with other senior members if this insistence carries over to informal times.

Please remember we are CIVIL Air Patrol.  You aren't in the military.  Don't let your rank go to your head ;).   Perhaps it's just my experience,  but it seems that I find that there's more "goof balls"  wearing the AF style uniforms,  versus the corporate type options. 
RM

Why do people keep saying we should only address each other by rank ONLY when in thepressence of cadets? WHy not in the pressence of only senior members or at meetings? Again, I point to the state defense force who are ALL adult volunteers they do. I point the CG Aux who are all adult volunteers. They do it. I understand that we are civilians ( well you guys are) but we are professional. So because we are civilians should I shirk my responsibility of getting a flight release when I fly or since we are civilians should I ignore the regs that say I cant take a plane out of state without permission? We have rules and regs in our organization and I havent seen one that says to ONLY address each by proper rank when inthe pressence of cadets

Now of course I dont mean to say that if I see you in the mall on a weekd ay in civvies that I ned to salute you or cal you by your rank. Dont take it that far but If youdid outrannk me and I saw you outside of a CAP environment I would call you sir/ma'am. And I probably would not address you by your first name.  if Isaw my Wing Commander in the mall off duty I would still treat him with proper respect. Heck I talk to my former wing Commander and I still address him as COL so and so

We arent in the military but we are in a miitary auxillary.

This is a the mindset of a lot of our members whichis why I say we need a formal basic trainng program for new senior members. Right now all we have is a computer based level one that all you have to do is read and answer some questions. there is no practical evaluation process or standardized training. We need that.

Ned

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 29, 2009, 05:33:59 PMwe need a formal basic trainng program for new senior members. Right now all we have is a computer based level one that all you have to do is read and answer some questions. there is no practical evaluation process or standardized training. We need that.

Could you expand on what your are hoping for here?

I assume you are not talking about some sort of mandatory Annual Training / OCS like the ACA performs, but something a little more local and portable.

vento

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 29, 2009, 05:33:59 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 29, 2009, 01:53:33 PM

RM
We arent in the military but we are in a miitary auxillary.

This is a the mindset of a lot of our members whichis why I say we need a formal basic trainng program for new senior members. Right now all we have is a computer based level one that all you have to do is read and answer some questions. there is no practical evaluation process or standardized training. We need that.

We are the USAF Aux when performing missions under a USAF assigned mission number.  We are the CAP Corp when we do everything else.

Having knowledge and understanding of this publication is good enough for Senior Members to act professionally.  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P151_9028588D89DD2.pdf