Main Menu

Okinawa squadron

Started by jb3, July 25, 2008, 09:45:06 AM

jb3

I am looking for information on a squadron in Okinawa. I have been here since January and still cannot find their location or meeting time. I wrote a letter to the address that NHQ has for the unit but as of yet have not received a response. I e-mailed NHQ and was told that they are also unable to get in contact with anyone here. Anyone with useful information please let me know.

IceNine

Hawaii Wing Civil Air Patrol
419 Lele St.
Honolulu , HI 96820

Telephone: (808)-836-3417

I personally would have started here before jumping to nationals

If the wing staff/commander cannot answer your questions there is a problem. If nationals can't answer them it just means they don't have up to date information.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Just out of curiosity, what does HIWG have to do with Okinawa.  Okinawa is an OS squadron and those report directly to NHQ...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

Apparently I don't own a globe... My bad

I retract my previous statement and walk away with my tail between my legs

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

Lord Monar used to be there. He may have good information. Shoot him a PM.

Flying Pig

I BELIEVE its on Kadena.  I tried to get to a meeting when I was over there about 10 years ago.  Sorry, best I can do.

Maybe try contacting the aero club there also.

lordmonar

I was at Misawa (way up north)...but there was/is a squadron on Kadena.  They used to have a small building there near the BX area IIRC.

If you get no joy on contacting the POC....try calling the Kadena Command Cheif and see if he can pump the Cheif's Mafia for a good contact name.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb3

Thanks to all for the info. I live on Kadena and will keep looking. I remember when I first joined CAP at McChord AFB. Oddly enough it was hard to get information there as well. I lived on base but it still took months of calling around to get in contact with the unit. Of course that was before the internet.

Capt Rivera

Is there a listing of all CAP OS units?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Here. Look under National Headquarters (Page 24 in this release). Looks like we have four now, two each in Germany and Japan.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb3

Once again thanks for the information. I actually have a copy of the unit listing and sent a letter to the address listed quite a while ago but have not received a reply. It is a PO box rather than a physical address and the postal folks aren't all that keen on telling me who owns the box. I'm going to have to step away from the internet and look the old fashion way with a bunch of phone calls and a couple office visits. I'm sure that somebody knows something as it goes. I guess when we stopped using MML and STR/PDRs we kind of lost regular contact with NHQ and apparently the rest of the world. I remember that when I was commander I had to submit our meeting location in addition to the mailing address as well as commander and his/her contact information. I know that NHQ at least has a location for me to start with but I'm still waiting on another response from them. I'm adding another device on my find ribbon if I ever locate this unit.

Ohioguard

If you find someone, let us know.  I was the commander of the unit, 1980 - 85.  I have a lot of historical information that I would like to pass along.

JEFFREY WANDELL, Lt Col, CAP

jimmydeanno

You might try making a trip to base real estate - they know who lives where and when...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 27, 2008, 10:43:31 PM
You might try making a trip to base real estate - they know who lives where and when...

Base Real Estate? What the heck is that? I've never heard of that office on an Air Base or in the Air Force period.

Actually, MWR (Morale, Wellfare and Recreation) would probably be the best place to start.
A look at the base phone book might help you find them too.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Ohioguard

When I was the commander there, I report directly to the base CC.  We had monthly meetings where I would brief him on the squadron.  He approved and supported most everything that we did.

Some of the best time in CAP.

JCW

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2008, 01:23:06 AM

Base Real Estate? What the heck is that? I've never heard of that office on an Air Base or in the Air Force period.

Actually, MWR (Morale, Wellfare and Recreation) would probably be the best place to start.

Facilites Management Officer...may know if CAP owns a building or not.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2008, 01:23:06 AM

When my wife was stationed at Langley [AFB], everyone on base called it "Base Real Estate."  They picked chose where units were moved to, decided who occupied what amount of space and where. 

They are who we worked with to move our CAP squadron when we outgrew the Honor Guard building.  Even the people that worked there would tell us to come down to the "base real estate office."  Heck, the base commander when he came in to see us recommended that we go talk to "base real estate" to see if we could get a few extra rooms in the building we were in.

When in Rome I guess.  I've never heard it called "Facilities Management."

Snake Doctor

I would like info on the unit as well.  I was a TAC Officer there for two Summer Encampments 1992 and 1993.  Never got credit for 1992.
I was stationed at Misawa and was part of the Misawa Cadet Sq.

The C.E. department to contact would be the Real Property Office. They would know who is in what building and have contact information for the buillding custodian.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

stillamarine

When I was a cadet there in 89-90 they had half of a building on the left hand side of the road about a mile in from Gate 2.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Snake Doctor

Any luck with finding the unit?

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jb3

No luck yet. I called the numbers that NHQ and the base information have but nothing. NHQ told me that the squadron commander's membership was not renewed this year and they can't get in contact with the other senior member. I'm not giving up but it doesn't look good. All the other youth organizations are thriving on the other hand. I'll keep you posted.

Snake Doctor

That would be a shame if the unit folded.  JB3, You said you lived on Kadena.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your affiliation to the base? 

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jb3

I'm in the Army and Kadena Air Base has the closest housing. As far as CAP goes I'm sure that there will be an active unit here before I leave. I just hope that I have something to work with. The problem here is the lack of long term civilians to recruit. When I was commander of Fayetteville Composite Squadron on Fort Bragg I actively recruited cilivilans as opposed to active duty personnel (although we did recruit those too). A common misconception is that military members make better CAP members. They have some basic military knowledge but I prefered having a civilian lawyer to be my legal guy and a civilian secretary to be doing admin work. A parachute rigger or infantryman has nothing special to offer other than the basic military skills and I can teach those to anybody. I'm saying this as an active duty officer so it's nothing personal.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: JB3 on August 10, 2008, 02:58:54 AM
When I was commander of Fayetteville Composite Squadron on Fort Bragg I actively recruited cilivilans as opposed to active duty personnel (although we did recruit those too).

I had the same problems as I moved from post to post on active duty.  But when I left Fayetteville, the new commander was a Falcon-Recipient Herc driver.  Good guy, drive an Air Bus for America West these days.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Snake Doctor

JB3,

As an active duty officer you'll be able to start a unit, if the past one is indeed past.
A big challenge to get a unit going, yet I suspect lots of fun.

Good luck which ever way it goes. 
Let me know if I can help in any way.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

swanny

Did anyone find the CAP here at Kadena? I am on Okinawa as well and would love to help out. Thanks.

whatevah

has this data been updated in the past year?

https://creports.capnhq.gov/unitlocator/UnitProcess.asp?pass=1642
Mailing Address:
18TH MSG /CAP UNIT 5133 BOX 10
Apo AP 96368

Meets at:
18TH OSS AWACS MTC, FTAC, BLDG 3445 SCHREIBER AVE
KADENA AIR BASE, OKINAWA JA 96368
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Eclipse

OK, a loud, crashing bump on this.

Did we ever find them?

I have a member being transferred and wants to join.  He's actually interested in starting a new unit there if he can't find the existing one.

Apparently he's had no luck with the PAO or anyone else there.

Anyone?

"That Others May Zoom"

Snake Doctor

Never heard a thing.  Got in contact briefly with someone in C.A.P. at Misawa AB Japan but he stopped e-mailing.

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Eclipse

Everything on the web dries up around 2006...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

You might make a direct call to NHQ to see what additional info they might have over and above what's online. Keeping units going is harder with the new rules requiring AD AF status for the unit commander.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I'm stretching my detective skills to the edge and am making some progress.  If there's anything I can share, I will.

Is that confirmed on the AD AF requirement?  Could it be AD other military?  Anything you can cite on that?

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Quote from: 35-4 3.bb. Squadron Commander. Since overseas squadrons operate almost independently, selecting a suitable squadron commander is vitally important. Squadron commanders and their replacements must be active duty members in the grade of tech sergeant or higher and recommended by the military installation commander. Units cannot obtain or retain a charter without a commander who meets these criteria.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

35-4 also says that the unit can only be on an Active Duty U.S. Air Force Base.

So on Okinawa, a member of the Navy or the Marines,in the grade of E-6 or above, since they are based nearby, could serve as the Squadron Commander, as long as the Base Commander at Kadena approves them.

IceNine

Not quite, it says the charter has to be requested by the installation commander.

Does not talk about the commander of the squadron requiring any on-site approval by base command staff

Quote from: 35-4Charter Policy. Charters will be limited to cadet squadrons and restricted to overseas US Air Force installations. Charters will be granted only upon request of the installation's commander and only where there is potential for a strong, viable unit. Since the success of the squadron depends largely upon the local installation, squadrons will be chartered only where strong base support is assured.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

And I suppose the the installation commander will recommend unit commander's when necessary.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Well, this is a Navy O-3 with several years of CAP and an active Mitchell cadet.  He'd be a good, motivated fit if he could get the approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2009, 01:41:43 AM
I'm stretching my detective skills to the edge and am making some progress.  If there's anything I can share, I will.

Is that confirmed on the AD AF requirement?  Could it be AD other military?  Anything you can cite on that?

Quote from: CAPR 35-4b. Squadron Commander. Since overseas squadrons operate almost independently, selecting a suitable squadron commander is vitally important. Squadron commanders and their replacements must be active duty members in the grade of tech sergeant or higher and recommended by the military installation commander. Units cannot obtain or retain a charter without a commander who meets these criteria.

I thought it had AF somewhere in there, but I guess not. The reg has changed since my stint at Misawa, but I don't have an olde copy to track the specific change.

I was a USN AD E-6 on an Air Base, and my interview with the base commander and the outgoing squadron commander lasted about 10 minutes. It did help that the base commander was a former CAP member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb3

Here is the latest and greatest: The unit has a charter but no members or commander. I got NHQ approval to assume command and regrow the squadron but have to get approval from the 18th Wing Commander. I've met with his people several times and keep getting an additional requirement. Basically I have to teach them what the AFI says. A year of trying led to a change of command so I'm going to have to start over a little. I'm still pushing ahead but not as rapidly as I'd like. I would love some help so please contact me if interested. I travel a lot with work but enjoy CAP and think that Okinawa would benefit from a unit there.

Eclipse

Via direct email I sent the contact info from my member being transferred out your way.

I think there's a very good chance he will be able to help you get things moving.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ohioguard

I was the commander of the unit from 80 - 85, yes a long time ago.  Once you are up and running, I will you provide you with the unit history from its beginning through 85.  I have the original unit patch along with the redisigned patch we did around 1983.  You do relize that the OCS was the first chartered overseas unit.

At one time we had about 50 active cadets and 17 active seniors.  We had two buildings on Kadena.  One we used for our meetings and one for supplies.  We had great support from the 313th AD and the 18 FW,  The AFA was a big supporter of ours.

We held our own encampments, even had cadets come down from Yakota AB.  Held the first CLC and SLS overseas.  Several cadets attended national cadet activities and seniors attended RSC at Hickum.  The first and only overseas cadet to recieve the Spaatz award, Jeff Morris,  was from the OCS.

It was a great unit, we did a lot for the unit, the base and the members. 

I wish you luck getting it back up and running.  If there is anything that I can do from here, let me know...

JEFFREY C WANDELL, Lt Colonel, CAP

swanny

Please get in contact with me. I am a current member of the civil air patrol and willing to help out anywhere needed. I am hoping when my children get older they can join as well. My DSN # is [redacted] on Camp Foster. Give me a call and let's together get the Kadena CAP back in operation.

edit: removed phone number at original poster's request - mod

Eclipse

Quote from: swanson on August 21, 2009, 02:42:44 PM
Please get in contact with me. I am a current member of the civil air patrol and willing to help out anywhere needed. I am hoping when my children get older they can join as well. My DSN # is 645-5798 on Camp Foster. Give me a call and let's together get the Kadena CAP back in operation.

I'll pass this info to the member - I presented his son a Mitchell about two weeks ago as a going away present and they are off to the Far East.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

I'm a few hundred miles away in Taiwan but I'd be willing to help out where I can.
BTW, I have an Army Chaplain brother-in-law living on Kadena now.

jb3

Update:
I obtained approval from Kadena Air Base and processed it last night. I'm not the proud new commander of a two member squadron (one was on the books from years ago). We'll be up six by next week and recruiting will continue after that.

I look forward to rebuilding and becoming the largest overseas squadron. I will keep posting.

JB

321EOD

I've never been to Okinawa but here's some hits I got from Googl'ing "Okinawa Cadet Squadron"

http://www.virtualginza.com/okinawa.htm?crubs.htm
Civil Air Patrol, Okinawa Cadet Squadron Meets every Tues at 6pm in Bldg 4084, KAB. For more info call 634-3688

2009 US Forces Okinawa Phone Directory
http://www.okinawa.pac.dodea.edu/ContactUS/Telephone%20Director%200910.pdf

CIVIL AIR PATROL
Unit 5133 Box 10, APO AP 96368-5133
Bldg 326 Kadena AB
Okinawa Cadet Squadron
Squadron Commander...18 MSG/CAP...634-4301
24 Hour Answering Machine.........634-3688
FAX...............................634-5698

Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

321EOD

Quote from: 321EOD on October 27, 2009, 02:17:33 AM
I've never been to Okinawa but here's some hits I got from Googl'ing "Okinawa Cadet Squadron"

http://www.virtualginza.com/okinawa.htm?crubs.htm
Civil Air Patrol, Okinawa Cadet Squadron Meets every Tues at 6pm in Bldg 4084, KAB. For more info call 634-3688

2009 US Forces Okinawa Phone Directory
http://www.okinawa.pac.dodea.edu/ContactUS/Telephone%20Director%200910.pdf

CIVIL AIR PATROL
Unit 5133 Box 10, APO AP 96368-5133
Bldg 326 Kadena AB
Okinawa Cadet Squadron
Squadron Commander...18 MSG/CAP...634-4301
24 Hour Answering Machine.........634-3688
FAX...............................634-5698

OOPS! - note to self - read whole post before adding content! - Congrats JB3 on a successful outcome - and not giving up.
Good luck with the "new" squadron!
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

a2capt

Quote from: JB3 on October 26, 2009, 10:06:20 PM
I look forward to rebuilding and becoming the largest overseas squadron. I will keep posting.

What a fun way to give back to the program.

The perseverance.. though I hope you're there long enough to get a good footing going at least. Seems like you have spent a lot of time already just playing wait and seek.

jb3

I probably won't be here to see the squadron once again in all it's greatness but that's okay. I'm looking for a replacement already and will make sure it's one that will be here for a while and will make sure he or she is trained for this job.

a2capt

Quote from: JB3 on October 28, 2009, 08:52:31 AM
I'm looking for a replacement already ...

The most important part of most positions. Your replacement. One spends so much time building up a working program, you can't run it forever. Someone has to carry on. Perhaps one of the reasons the unit fizzled...

Any luck finding any left over stuff there? (supplies, color guard materials, guidon's, etc)

jb3

I actually was able to locate all the squadron's equipment. I'll spare you the year long saga by offering the quick version. Basically I tracked down the building where the offices where and the NCOIC of the building used a master key to let me in. He said that he has not seen any one go into the offices in the year that he's been there. I was looking around and discovered the keys which were simply placed on a sofa and left. I took the keys and now use the offices. The squadron has files, equipment, uniforms, and a pile of bank statements for an account that is still active. The previous commander is no longer a member of CAP for reasons unknown to me but I still wonder what happened to cause someone to leave without properly deactivating the unit. On the other hand we're lucky in some aspects because now we don't have to start from scratch.

The squadron had one member (inactive) on the MML when I took over this week and now has three active in addition as well as transfers pending for two patron members.

Hopefully people reading this will use the story as "what not to do". Realize that in a regular squadron any one of the issues presented (financial statements not filed in over a year, only one member, no commander appointed, etc.) would likely result in the squadron losing it's charter. Overseas squadrons lack group, wing, and region level oversight and are mostly overlooked as is evidenced with this case.

More to follow...

AlphaSigOU

On a related issue, I've been asked why haven't I started a CAP overseas squadron in Kwajalein yet. The answer is CAPR 35-4. Kwaj is an Army installation (even though the inmates - ahem, civilians - largely run the asylum  ;D); while the potential exists for a strong cadet program with the junior and senior high school kids here, the current regs restrict CAP overseas squadrons to USAF installations and commanders to AD E-6 or higher. Not to mention the possible legal minefield that is also known as the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement).

I don't recall if there was ever a Kwajalein squadron under Hawaii Wing (there was one squadron in Guam under HI wing control in the 80s). Parents have asked for a JROTC or similar cadet program for the kids at Kwaj Junior-Senior High, but I don't think it's gone past the talking stages.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb3

You have an interesting situation. The regulation makes it pretty tough. I agree with limiting unit's to AF bases although I'm an Army officer myself because the AF has their own AF Instructions that outline support for CAP whereas other branches do not. But like everything else I believe that exceptions should be made if a potential unit can prove that they will get  the support needed.

I don't really believe that the commander should be and active duty member though for a couple reasons. The first is because civilians typically are able to stay in one overseas location for longer time. An active duty has no more competence, experience, or skills than a civilian. It comes down to the person. Finally the base commander doesn't necessarily have and more control of the squadron by virtue of the commander. For example, I am an Army officer working on a different post. The AF general here has absolutely no influence on my life whatsoever. On the other hand he "owns" thousands of civilians. Plus the last commander here was an active duty AF TSgt and he simply left his keys and PCSd.

If you really have a base for a potential unit I would contact NHQ and start working on a change to the regulation. I'd be willing to send a memo outlining my experience.

kirbahashi

I am on the fence with the AD vs. Civilian Commander.  Both sides has merits. 

I think what everyone can agree on was the previous leadership at that unit failed in a few areas. Take your pick of the unit's deactivation once it went below 15, The Unit Commander's PCS without telling anyone, or the lack of presence/oversight/assistance by the LNO that is required to be assigned...

Anyways, I am glad there is a unit there now.  I have been looking a little bit here and there but am at least one year from getting there.  I have been blessed with a one year stop in Korea first.  But, having been a member of two OS units, I am looking forward to getting back into it.  OS-100 will gain two members (my son and I) when we get there.  He is excited! 

Good Luck OS-100!

Dan Kirby
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Michael M

Thought you might like to see the overseas CAP patches:

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/OS/index.html

Check this one out for current overseas units:

http://creports.capnhq.gov/unitlocator/ULProcess.asp?wing=NHQ&os=yes

jb3

Here is the latest and greatest:

Our squadron now has several active members and we are doing a variety of activities. It has been a long hard road but well worth it. The Air Force is now supporting us more than I have seen in nearly two decades of CAP service. We are communicating with the other overseas squadrons and have some great activities planned including an encampment here on Okinawa for all the Asia/Pacific members.

I just wanted all to know that it is worth it to stick with an endeavor like this.

Lt Col Bauer

SarDragon

Congrats.

Do you ever hear from the Misawa unit? There are some people on here who have either been members or commanders of that unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

Quote from: JB3 on August 31, 2010, 07:01:05 AM
Here is the latest and greatest:

Our squadron now has several active members and we are doing a variety of activities. It has been a long hard road but well worth it. The Air Force is now supporting us more than I have seen in nearly two decades of CAP service. We are communicating with the other overseas squadrons and have some great activities planned including an encampment here on Okinawa for all the Asia/Pacific members.

I just wanted all to know that it is worth it to stick with an endeavor like this.

Lt Col Bauer

I started my SM career in the Misawa Squadron and it was one of the best expereinces I have had in the CAP. Gave me a real sesnes of belonging. I think that any work that you do to carry on and support cadets and SM alike is beneficial. There were only 10 cadets in my squadron but they were great cadets.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

jb3

The biggest help for me getting in touch with the other squadrons has been the creation of an Overseas Team Leader position. Although not in the chain of command, the person coordinates the efforts of all the overseas units and solves a lot of the common problems that we all face. The current one is Lt Col Shirley Timm and she has done a great job getting us all talking and has also updated the overseas squadron regulation. Although the squadrons in Asia (Okinawa, Missawa, Yokota in Japan, and Osan in Korea) are still small, we are planning some activities together which should help. I only have about a year left here but expect to see some great things before I leave.

JB

bosshawk

Shirley Timm is a great lady: I have known her for years.  She was VC for CAWG when I was a Sq CC.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

It's great to hear that they have someone identified as the overseas "wing commander".  When I was CC of Misawa NHQ had a blind spot where overseas units were concerned.

Great job getting Okinawa back up and running.

Ganbate!

Snake Doctor

I've read the whole thread and I'm thrilled. You must have been in contact with Lt Col Porter by now.  He's at Yokota. He's working with Lt Col Timm concerning many issues with overseas squadrons including senior members advancing in professional development.

Continued success to you.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

spacecommand

One idea I was thinking of, and I don't know how practical it might be to really accomplish, but it would be similar in fashion to the IACE (International Air Cadet Exchange) where cadets in overseas squadrons get a chance to visit squadrons back in the states, and vice versa. 

That might be a fun and interesting "Special" Special Cadet activity, especially for Cadets who have never been in CAP stateside before joining overseas, and stateside cadets experiencing how it is to be in a CAP squadron overseas (if it comes down to SOFA issues, then a "one way" exchange might still be possible I figure). 

Cadets can speak about living abroad and working in CAP overseas, participate in special O-Flights (I don't think it is possible for cadets overseas to do O-flights?) etc.  similar in fashion to the IACE but not as broad in scope. 

Snake Doctor

Good idea!  that would require a bunch of reseach. A point paper, or what ever. 
Military airlift?  Commercial? Cost? Lots to think about but still a good idea.

I wonder how many overseas cadets attend NCSAs and how often?
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

PHall

Quote from: Snake Doctor on September 06, 2010, 10:27:21 PM
Good idea!  that would require a bunch of reseach. A point paper, or what ever. 
Military airlift?  Commercial? Cost? Lots to think about but still a good idea.

I wonder how many overseas cadets attend NCSAs and how often?

Well, they're all military dependants, which means they have a pretty good priority for Space A seats since they're overseas.
It's doable.

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

This would be a great idea to have such a cadet and SM exchange program.

There is an Airlift unit here at Spangdahlem and also one at Ramstein. So for our 2 units in Germany, it would be no problem to get Space A seats.   

If there is somebody who wants to come over to Europe, you are always welcome.
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

spacecommand

Yeah there are a lot of logistics to work out on that idea, but it is just an idea I had to toss out.  Cadets in overseas squadrons don't have many chances to participate in many items that cadets in the US get to do, so the exchange idea would give them an opportunity to experience those items (eg O-flights, taking control of a plane etc).

wuzafuzz

Sorry about the off topic post: 

I am looking for anyone currently in Okinawa. My son is headed to MCAS Futenma for a couple of years and I have a couple questions before he leaves. 

Please contact me via PM if you can entertain a few quick questions.

Thank you!
Eric
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

jb3

Eric, I just sent you a PM.

Since I'm here I will give a final update for Okinawa Cadet Squadron.

I recently handed command over to Capt Chris Allen. He has been running the squadron as the deputy commander with me deploying all the time so knows the squadron better than anyone.

The squadron grew from one active member (me) and one inactive member to 19 members and growing. Our biggest downfall is that our members typically have no more than three years until they have to leave the island and that is only if we recruit them the day they arrive. The upside is that we will be sending some high quality cadets to other squadrons.

We will be running an encampment from 26 DEC 10 to 2 JAN 11 that will rival even the largest encampment in the US.

It has been an honor and privilege to command this squadron during it's rebirth and I look forward to seeing where Capt Allen takes it from here.

Thank you to all those who have helped along the way. I couldn't have made the squadron what it is today without the support of the people posting on this website as well as others.

JB

a2capt

Cms.sloane

So me and my dad ( rear admiral lower half) will be arriving on the base Jan 3rd on a TDY. Any advise about what to do or about the locals (we will live off base)? I already speak fluent dutch(im dual citizen with holland) and fluent german im trying to learn japanese.

SarDragon

Spend your time learning the customs before you learn the language. Many Japanese speak English better than you speak Japanese, but they are reluctant to use it for fear of making mistakes.

Always keep in mind that you are in their country. Sometimes, "their way" will seem odd compared to how you've done things. Learn, and adapt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Wilkerussell

I'm PFC Wilke I was in cap in Nebraska for 5 years I'm getting stationed on Okinawa for 2 years and was wondering if anyone had contact info for someone in the unit that I could talk to.