Main Menu

Common Access Cards (CAC)

Started by KyCAP, June 22, 2008, 02:27:46 AM

abdsp51

Obviously you have not seen a local FSS customer service section.  They are jam packed with plenty of people trying to get their ID cards replaced or renewed.  Most places require an appointment and two forms of ID and what is going to be the process for when one gets lost? And how are you going to retrieve it in the event a member is 2b'ed?  There is nothing wrong with the card we have now. 

FlyTiger77

I am still confused as to what the proposed CAP CAC would do that the current CAP ID card does not.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PA Guy

^^^^^
Nothing, they just look soooo kewl. ;)

PHall

A CAC card costs the Air Force $8 each. And we have people are whing about the cost of our $4 card now... ::)

abdsp51

So we add an additional estimated 500k for CAP to have CACs not to mention additional costs for members to travel to installation to have them made. 

rjfoxx

FWIW...

My CAP ID gets me onto Dover AFB and the Delaware ANG (DANG) base without the blink of an eye.  But the CAP ID will not get you past the gate at either Aberdeen PG (Army) or JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.  However, I am told that JB McGuire...recognizes the NJWG members CAP ID.  I am able to access both bases, but I have to go through the Visitor Centers. The Vistor Centers recognize the card and will issue you a 24 hour pass to the bases.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 30, 2012, 03:44:24 PM
However, I am told that JB McGuire...recognizes the NJWG members CAP ID.

I wonder if that will change as the new CAPID has no unit / wing / region identification on it?

AngelWings

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 30, 2012, 03:44:24 PM
FWIW...

My CAP ID gets me onto Dover AFB and the Delaware ANG (DANG) base without the blink of an eye.  But the CAP ID will not get you past the gate at either Aberdeen PG (Army) or JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.  However, I am told that JB McGuire...recognizes the NJWG members CAP ID.  I am able to access both bases, but I have to go through the Visitor Centers. The Vistor Centers recognize the card and will issue you a 24 hour pass to the bases.
One of the reasons a CAC would be helpful. I've had trouble getting onto Hanscom AFB before because their base issues stamps to those from the squadron. If it weren't for the fact that the vistor center guards realized we were just trying to get on base to go to the BX to buy uniform stuff already set aside, we would have been screwed. I think a CAC wouldn't cause problems like this, as they are recongized already and do not require specific information/stamps to identify we are really CAP members.

SARDOC

A Common Access Card is not necessary to access a military base.  Even Retired Military members and dependents don't get a CAC card.  I'm betting they have no trouble getting on a post.

Other emergency management agencies in order to comply with provisions of HSPD Twelve are creating Identification cards that are similiar in appearance to a CAC card.  A number of Government agencies issue a Personal Identification Verification (PIV) card to employees and contractors...It won't necessarily make it any easier for these people to get on a Military Base.

Instead of getting a different CAC like card why don't you just contact your State Director about using your current CAPID for authorized access to a facility for official purposes and you shouldn't have a problem.

jimmydeanno

Base access issues are not a problem of which ID card we have or what they look like; it is a relationship/understanding issue.  In the end, each installation commander gets to call the shots on who/when/where people are allowed to go or even whether they are allowed to enter the base.  A base commander could decide that military families, retirees, or even some of their own personnel (with CACs) could be denied entry.

If the installation commander has established access requirements/procedures for CAP members and it isn't really working, the fix is to get the state director/base liaison talking to work out the problem to a workable solution.  In the case of Hanscom, it's possible that when the procedures were made the conversation was "we have a CAP squadron on the base, give them stamps to get on" and didn't take into account that CAP members that weren't part of that unit might need/want to get onto the base.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

spacecommand

4 pages for a rehashed 4 year old thread.

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on April 30, 2012, 07:39:25 PMIf it weren't for the fact that the vistor center guards realized we were just trying to get on base to go to the BX to buy uniform stuff already set aside, we would have been screwed. I think a CAC wouldn't cause problems like this, as they are recongized already and do not require specific information/stamps to identify we are really CAP members.

What you had is called a "conversation", and the problem was fixed.   A CAC would not have changed that.  There are thousands of uncredentialed civilians
with on-base business who are granted access to military facilities every day - family members, contractors, whatever.

Having a CAC would not really change anything, since it would say "CAP" on it somewhere, and the base commander would still be free to say "no" to those CAC's if he had a good reason to.

Quote from: spacecommand on April 30, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

Seriously.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: spacecommand on April 30, 2012, 09:48:26 PM
4 years old and the "new" information is erronious.

CAP is not getting a CAC type ID CARD.
CAP-USAF never offered CAP to get a CAC type card.
There is no need to get a CAC type card as the current CAP ID is just fine everywhere.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP