Main Menu

Common Access Cards (CAC)

Started by KyCAP, June 22, 2008, 02:27:46 AM

brasda91

Quote from: FW on June 22, 2008, 03:40:35 AM

When you are in EOC or EMA, you should have access to system and, once "in", you should be able to access any internet site needed.

I'm beginning to wonder why you would need other govt. access to computers. Doesn't your Wing/HQ have them or internet access?  We spend big bucks for computer IP access every year.

How about because my unit will be moving to a NG Training Center (high-tech armory) within the next year?  If we don't have simple internet access, it puts a hindrance on us.  How you ask?  Something as simple as checking the reg's since they're online.  What about my members who don't have a computer, but need internet access to complete OPSEC or the GES test.

I work for a private company that enriches uranium for the Dept. of Energy.  I have a DOE "Q" clearance, but yet I can't get a card for simple internet access?

We pay for internet access for those units that have a phone line.  For years my squadron had its own private building on private property.  We could never afford a phone line.  Therefore could never have internet access in our building.  Now we are moving in with the NG, KY State Police, Army Reserves and who ever else, but can't get access to the internet.  ???
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

desertengineer1

Umm, no.  They will get a 387 card to get access to the base.  Only a DoD employee or contractor that requires network (or controlled area) access will get a CAC. 

Funny, that the crack smoking kid working the burger king French fry fryer on an AF installation can get a CAC, but hard working, non paid patriots serving their communities State and Nation, can't get that benefit.   >:(

Anyway...... here is a link     http://www.cac.mil/index.html

FW

Quote from: brasda91 on June 22, 2008, 08:55:02 PM
Quote from: FW on June 22, 2008, 03:40:35 AM

When you are in EOC or EMA, you should have access to system and, once "in", you should be able to access any internet site needed.

I'm beginning to wonder why you would need other govt. access to computers. Doesn't your Wing/HQ have them or internet access?  We spend big bucks for computer IP access every year.

How about because my unit will be moving to a NG Training Center (high-tech armory) within the next year?  If we don't have simple internet access, it puts a hindrance on us.  How you ask?  Something as simple as checking the reg's since they're online.  What about my members who don't have a computer, but need internet access to complete OPSEC or the GES test.

I work for a private company that enriches uranium for the Dept. of Energy.  I have a DOE "Q" clearance, but yet I can't get a card for simple internet access?

We pay for internet access for those units that have a phone line.  For years my squadron had its own private building on private property.  We could never afford a phone line.  Therefore could never have internet access in our building.  Now we are moving in with the NG, KY State Police, Army Reserves and who ever else, but can't get access to the internet.  ???

Maj, try working with your State Director.  Other units have had similar problems which were solved one way or another.  I don't think this should be a major problem.  

mikeylikey

Quote from: desertengineer1 on June 22, 2008, 10:09:33 PM
Umm, no.  They will get a 387 card to get access to the base.  Only a DoD employee or contractor that requires network (or controlled area) access will get a CAC. 

Funny, that the crack smoking kid working the burger king French fry fryer on an AF installation can get a CAC, but hard working, non paid patriots serving their communities State and Nation, can't get that benefit.   >:(

Ya....I have seen AAFES employees walking around with CAC's.  Last time I checked, AAFES runs the BK's on post. 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

KyCAP's original logic regarding issuing them to certain CAP members as government contractors has a certain logic to it.  As has been stated, the overwhelming majority of CAP members have no need, but there are those for whom this would make life a lot simpler. 

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 22, 2008, 11:37:14 PM
Quote from: desertengineer1 on June 22, 2008, 10:09:33 PM

Ya....I have seen AAFES employees walking around with CAC's.  Last time I checked, AAFES runs the BK's on post. 

Probably because they're dependants.

md132

Dependents don't get a CAC unless they need it for work.  They have the tan dependent ID.  AAFES employees mostly have them because they are required to access certain AAFES applications like email.  Or if they don't use the old style ID cards that was used 20 years ago then they get a CAC with the DoD logo and it says DoD civilian.  They also get it if they get deployed.  (Yes AAFES employess also get deployed.) 

afgeo4

AAFES is a DoD contractor and thus their employees get contractor CAC cards and vehicle decals.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^ Thank you. 

AAFES is also a join Command between the Air Force and the Army.  If I am not mistaken a new Brigadier General (Army) just took over from a Major General (AF).

^ Useless fact.  Sorry!!
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Well here is by $.02.

We will never get CACs because:

1) too expensive to issue and adminster.
2) The majority of CAP units don't need them.

Here on Nellis we got a password that allows us to use the computers in the ALS facility but we don't get network access.  We cut a deal where we get an internet feed for our CAP computer....it's not working right now....but it does not give us access to the government network.

Work with the comm guys....they may have fix for your situation....but CACs for general membership just won't work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

When I was in a unit that met on an Active Duty Air Force Base we just got a regular "outside line" telephone line. (You can get them, you just have to ask.)

The Air Force liked it because we weren't on DSN, so they didn't have to worry about long distance bills, and we weren't on the base LAN. That really made them happy!

We just had our one phone line that we had DSL on so we use the computer to send stuff to wing and national plus we had a fax/scanner/copier machine so we could fax stuff too.

Kind of a win-win for everybody.

KyCAP

We don't have any problems with Voice lines.  Voice these days is part of the LAN thanks to VoIP and Cisco and controlling it is fairly easy.

The "internet" issue would also be a side benefit if we were on LAN and needed "just" internet.  That can easily be controlled using VLANs and GRE tunnelling for guest access which dumps your "guest" data into a secure tunnel and dumps it outside of the firewalls demilitarized zone (DMZ).  That feature ships in the box of most basic Cisco small business Unified Communications solutions. 

Looks like "sneakernet" is going to be the way to go.   I must say it really makes us look odd to our customers that "want" to work with us that we have all of this gear and can't even get a basic CAC card..

A good way to stymie our relationship with the leadership of our customers at the top level and raises their eyebrows a little..... I get that feeling of "Thought you were Federal Corporation and DoD funded?  Why can't you get a CAC card... WE all have them..."

Something to think about..
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on June 23, 2008, 03:40:51 AM
Well here is by $.02.

We will never get CACs because:

1) too expensive to issue and adminster.
2) The majority of CAP units don't need them.
Don't think anyone is talking about that here.  Just talking about units that might have a legitimate need based on local circumstances.   

badger bob

I could see a limited number in the future of the general card when the feds go to a universal card for all agencies.
Examples the designated accountable officer that accesses the DRMO for turn-ins or withdrawls or the incident commander that has to connect to access additional fed resources for a mission. There is a pretty limited need for CAP access to the military network

Local general internet access is probably bestworked out on a one to one basis with the local armory commander.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

KyCAP

In our wing the local armory commanders' request flow back to J-6 Commander at State EOC.   There is one "complete" WAN with centralized Network Admission Control enforced strictly.  We're either IN all the way or OUT.  I had new emails today starting to "rethink" how we're doing this.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

badger bob

In some wings, it may be more appropriate to be on a *.gov state network (domain) rather then attempting to link to a *.mil network
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Tubacap

Quote from: KyCAP on June 24, 2008, 01:34:45 AM
In our wing the local armory commanders' request flow back to J-6 Commander at State EOC.   There is one "complete" WAN with centralized Network Admission Control enforced strictly.  We're either IN all the way or OUT.  I had new emails today starting to "rethink" how we're doing this.

What's your thought process?  I am in the same boat, and in fact where we hold have our computer access, there isn't a phone line so that makes it even harder.  I ran into the same boat with the guard, although I didn't try our SD.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

KyCAP

All of the things are on the table at this point and I am starting with a clean slate trying to think through this with them for our other issue.

For your issue TubaCAP.   One solution might be to approach the Guard in your area and see if they will provision a device like a Cisco ATA-100.   This is a device that grabs an IP based phone trunk and then terminates it out as an analog port.    In network land this is called a FXS port.  That shouldn't be too hard for your J-6 guys to get their mind around.  This allows tight security for them and you at least get the ability to get 56K dial-out to the internet in the mean time.

The other solution is that your guys have to implement the Guest access VLAN.   That's an engineering task that has to be implemented and most places "are" because of the guests that they "don't want" on their LANs.    In today's environment just because your in the same copper wiring infrastructure doesn't mean that you're in the same LAN at the transport layers.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

MikeD

Quote from: badger bob on June 24, 2008, 12:02:25 AM
I could see a limited number in the future of the general card when the feds go to a universal card for all agencies.
Examples the designated accountable officer that accesses the DRMO for turn-ins or withdrawls or the incident commander that has to connect to access additional fed resources for a mission. There is a pretty limited need for CAP access to the military network

Local general internet access is probably bestworked out on a one to one basis with the local armory commander.

Except that each agencies card will probably not be compatible with other agencies.  I know my work card and encryption system won't talk to DOD, even though the encryption is done using the same software.  It's all in how it gets set up.

KyCAP

The "Harmony" of which ye all speak of is commonly referred to as a Federated Database system that would allow each agencies security database models to trust one another and allow equal Credentials from USAF to allow access to the National Park Systems readers (for example).    We can't even get ubiquitous healthcare records into a Federated System....    I ain't holding my breath for that one..
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing