November NEC Meeting -Cadet on NB?

Started by RiverAux, October 24, 2007, 12:46:02 AM

a2capt

Quote from: RiverAux on October 24, 2007, 12:46:02 AM

1.  Making various changes so that folks in the Region and Wing "ghost" squadrons (XX-000) can only participate in the same CAP activities as patron members and restricting their access to some online materials. 

4.  Changes the Moral Leadership program to a Character Development program.

1. I've often wondered - if you are in xx-000, it's probably for a reason.

4. History repeats itself. MLO, CDO, back to MLO, ... and now.. back to CDO.

Someone has issues with the concept of morals.

Euphemisms. Phooey.

Brad

As I've taken the time to pick through the various thoughts here, and also look through the NEC Agenda itself, I would like to add my two cents.

QuoteThe Cadet Representative should have full privileges as a non-voting
member of the National Board, except that he/she may be excused from closed session
meetings by the National Commander or presiding officer at the request of a board
member if the topic to be discussed so requires.
Legal coordination will also be
required to ensure that the Cadet, and the Cadet's parents or guardians (if the Cadet is
a minor) will enjoy insurance protection and indemnification in the event of suit in their
capacity as a National Board member.

Emphasis added on my part. There was many a point raised about the idea of the cadet being present on sensitive matters with the NB. It seems to me that that contingency has been accounted for with regards to the dismissal clause.

As far as the idea of a minor being a Corporate Officer, it stands to reason that the second emphasized clause would prevent that from coming to pass in terms of legality.

My own opinion is that I think it is a great idea. Granted I may be new to CAP, but I did pull four years as a NJROTC cadet, so I certainly know what it feels like to have a voice...and not have one. The cadet member is a very logical choice because if the matters concern the cadet program, then the cadets need an assurance that their voice will be heard outright, not just a hopeful chance riding on the whim of the NB to let the NCAC Chair speak.

"Well what about the cadet being exposed to the 'politics' of the Senior-side?" Again, look at my first point on the dismissal clause. If there is one brain cell between the NB (some may disagree  :P) then they will take all efforts needed to minimize the cadet's exposure to that element, so that he/she may concentrate on the reason he/she is there; for the cadets.

Ok I'm done.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 24, 2007, 03:47:40 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 24, 2007, 03:30:02 AM
Mikey:

I don't see a lot of difference between a cadet "advisor" to the NB and a service-wide senior NCO.  What exactly is your objection?

Children are children.  Do we want a child giving input on matters that they may or may not be around to suffer OR benefit from?  It is elevating Cadets equal to Senior Members.  They have a CAC......now if they used it better......

Children?  I've seen a few cadet officers who are more mature than some senior officers that I know.  Hell, I've seen 14 year old cadet NCOs who were more mature than some 30 year olds.

You take a well-rounded select C/Col and put him or her in that position and you'll not only influence that cadet, but just think of the perspective they could provide when it comes to cadet programs.  I'm all for it.