Main Menu

Coast Guard Aux

Started by 0, August 24, 2007, 06:24:51 PM

Does anyone know anything much about the Coast Guard Aux? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Sgt. Savage

They are the auxilliary of the Coast Guard.... and they like boats >:D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

I meant other than they exist.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

They let you wear metal "grade" on hats and coats.  >:D
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on August 24, 2007, 06:35:29 PM
They let you wear metal "grade" on hats and coats.  >:D

Where do I sign?!   ;)   >:D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

I saw they do SAR too.  I found a local floatilla and asked for information and I'm just waiting on a response.  I've also found out unlike us they aren't adressed with Millitary Grade names.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Quote from: MIKE on August 24, 2007, 06:38:42 PM
http://join.cgaux.org/index.html

Already seen that site.  Was kinda hoping someone here might have first or third hand knowledge.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Well... What do you want to know... I'm just a lowly Flotilla Staff Officer.
Mike Johnston

What are the differences in the SAR training (other than they don't do ground teams)?

Is their parody for us with the grade we've earned in CAP if we join a Floatilla?

Do they provide people Flight Instruction?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 24, 2007, 06:45:28 PM
Is their parody for us with the grade we've earned in CAP if we join a Floatilla?

Heck no,  the insignia you wear is based on the position you currently hold... Or your highest past office.
Mike Johnston

Ok, so go in and start at the bottom then. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Skyray

No flight training, although in many locations they will allow you to offer your own aircraft for use, and reimburse you for gas, oil and maintenance.  There is a Coast Guard uniform called ODU that is made much like BDUs except they are very dark blue, and recently there was an edict that all rank on ODU had to be sew on.  All grade is elective or appointive office.  I for instance wear something that looks like a Navy Lieutenants stripes (shoulderboards) except they are silver with a blue "A" on the boards.  If anyone addresses me by rank (very seldom done) it is "Flotilla Commander."  There are several RCCs around the country, and the SMC (Sar Mission Coordinator) is always active duty Coast Guard.  We work much more closely with the Coast Guard than the CAP does with the Air Force.  And while it is possible to terminate (2B) a member of the Auxiliary, it can only be done with the concurrence of a Coast Guard Admiral.  They tend to look less at the politics of the situation, and more at the cost/benefit analysis. I.e., are you more productive than a PITA.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

With the SAR training here in CAP I'm a mission scanner would that help me at all with CGAux SAR?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Skyray

There is an MOU that says that scanner equals observer and observer equals "air crew" but as far as I know it has never been implemented.  I don't know what the air program situation in Boston is, but you would probably be better off just to do the Auxiliary Training.  In is not as structured as what you have seen in CAP.  A written test, egress training, a swim test, and a couple of seminars.  Plus a check list that varies with location.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Cool thanks. I'm thinking of joining a Flotilla up here in addition to staying in CAP. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Skyray

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 24, 2007, 07:26:45 PM
Cool thanks. I'm thinking of joining a Flotilla up here in addition to staying in CAP. 

It is big time different.  No cadet program, work directly with the Coat Guard, not much in the way of military protocol and courtesy.  Lots of training on boats.  Almost all their SAR work is maritime search.  You qualify for rescue, but most of the "rescue" is done by commercial salvors who you are required to call unless there is a threat to life or property.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RiverAux

CAP aircrew training will not transfer directly to the CG Aux.  The MOU "equivalency" only applies to situations where a CAP Scanner might serve on a CG Aux aircrew and in that situation the CG Aux will honor the CAP training that you are qualified to do that job.  But, if you join the CG Aux, you don't get "credit" for CAP training.