CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 07:05:01 AM
^^ but in the end, Burger King still has triple Whoppers and that is outstanding   :)

The Triple Whopper is yet another reason we must bolster our Military.  Bin Laden fears the Triple Whopper and will stop at nothing to see its demise.  Local vegan, Bert, of Sesame Street fame, has joined to put an end to it...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

^^ Bin Laden also has a well thought-out slogan: "Death to America"

He isn't very nice, but his slogan properly explains his purpose.  Now I will go back to trying to find some Transformers toys so I can dress them up in little CAP uniforms.

docspur

Coming from a non-flying squadron (we have no plane, no pilots...and we have to beg o-rides from the flying squadron pilots) then the "More than meets the skies" slogan makes sense.  Yes, it is a bit cheesey but I can see it working from the standpoint of a squadron where ES and Ground Team training is what we specialize in.  Not all squadrons fly...not all squadrons have pilots.  This slogan gives the U.S. a chance to see that we do more than fly.

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

MIKE

So it would appear it wasn't just me who thought of Transformers when I heard the tag line.

You have failed me again Starscream - Megatron
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Yes, not many CAP members fly, but almost everything we do is about flying and aerospace in one way or another. 

mikeylikey

SO who is going to be OPTIMUS PRIME?  I vote for TP!  He has already transformed into something these past few days!
What's up monkeys?

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 12:10:10 PM
So it would appear it wasn't just me thought of Transformers when I heard the tag line.

Nope, it wasn't just you.
Of course, now I guess we get to make up our own lines:

Optimus Prime:  Skylane, fly out and attack with the Archer System!
(A white robot leaps into the air and  transforms into a C-182)
Megatron: Decepticons, Retreat!!

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Dragoon

It's a fine recruiting slogan, if the attempt is to get more non-aviation minded folks in CAP.

It's not a particularly good slogan for marketing to our customers, as our primary operation asset IS aviation, and our cadet program has a strong aviation slant.

I guess it all depends on who the target audience is.

JohnKachenmeister

I don't care what all you naysayers think...

"More than meets the skies" is still better than:

1.  Army Strong.

2.  The Army of One.

3.  Cross Into the Blue.

4.  Be All You Can Be.

It is not as good as:

1.  It's not a job, its an adventure.

2.  The Marine Corps commercial where they compared the making of Marines to the forging of a steel sabre.

I'll give the new slogan a C+ or maybe a B if the right advertising media accompany it.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

I don't know, "Be all you can be" was a pretty darn good slogan in my book and seemed to work pretty well for a lot of years.  Made a good jingle too. 

Army Strong isn't all that good by itself, but they've got an AWESOME long-format commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbCnWe6e1o that really makes the slogan seem good (very motivating music too --- sound like it might be from a movie, but I can't place it). 

RiverAux

By the way, I'm not getting the Transformers refernce.  Was "More than meets the skies" used in the movie?

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 02:33:18 PM
By the way, I'm not getting the Transformers refernce.  Was "More than meets the skies" used in the movie?

Wikipedia:

After the Federal Communications Commission did away with regulations that prohibited toy companies from broadcasting cartoons based on their products in 1984, The Transformers began with a three-episode miniseries (later titled More Than Meets the Eye) that introduced audiences to Optimus Prime, Megatron and their armies...

A.Member

Quote from: Psicorp on August 10, 2007, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 12:10:10 PM
So it would appear it wasn't just me thought of Transformers when I heard the tag line.

Nope, it wasn't just you.
Of course, now I guess we get to make up our own lines:

Optimus Prime:  Skylane, fly out and attack with the Archer System!
(A white robot leaps into the air and  transforms into a C-182)
Megatron: Decepticons, Retreat!!

I'm willing to bet that's what the majority of the people under age 40 will think of.  As such, is it an effective tagline when the first thing you think of is the Transformers?  No.

And to an earlier point, we do have more missions and do other things but everything we do is related to and in support of aviation/aerospace activites.  It's even in our name...we are the Civil Air Patrol. 

What we need more than a bunch of silly taglines is a documented strategic vision for the organization.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DogCollar

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 02:33:18 PM

Wikipedia:

After the Federal Communications Commission did away with regulations that prohibited toy companies from broadcasting cartoons based on their products in 1984, The Transformers began with a three-episode miniseries (later titled More Than Meets the Eye) that introduced audiences to Optimus Prime, Megatron and their armies...

I'm glad that someone else wondered about the Transformers' connection!  I came of age when "Johnny Quest, Raji and Bandit" were soaring the "skies!!!"

I dare say that More Than Meets the Eye has been around as a phrase a lot longer then the '80's!

Tags - MIKE
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

RiverAux

Quick!  Can anybody give the Boy Scout's current recruiting slogan/tagline?

Chappie

According to my "sources", the slogan that did not make the cut was: "It's a bird...it's a plane...it's C-A-....nah it's a bird". ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Skyray

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 03:02:41 PM
Quick!  Can anybody give the Boy Scout's current recruiting slogan/tagline?

I think, translated into Latin, it's SEMPER PARATUS.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RiverAux

No, thats the motto just like CAP's is Always Vigilant.  I'm talking about what they put on advertising to attract people to join.

MidwaySix

RA is correct...

Always Vigilant
is our motto.

More Than Meets The Skies is the new tagline.

Me, I miss "Eyes of the homeland skies."

- M6

Skyray

Sorry, River.  I ain't been a Boy Scout in fifty years or a little more.  My old council is defunct and the records are lost.  They do good work, but believe it or not, there is substantial political manuevering among the upper level scouters (adults).  I looked into it when Tony canned me in Florida, but I decided that I had had enough politics for a while.  I was already in the Auxiliary, so I stayed in.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member