CAP-USAF Completes realignment from Holm Center to 1AF

Started by Eclipse, June 24, 2016, 05:59:47 PM

THRAWN

Not every one. NJ and PA shared a LO and each had an LNCO.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

Quote from: THRAWN on June 26, 2016, 08:54:54 PM
Not every wing had a State Director either.

SarDragon

Eons ago ('70s), every wing had their own LO and LNCO. It wasn't until maybe even the '90s when there was sharing going on. I don't recall the reasons, but it happened gradually, reducing the numbers of LOs, until the billets shifted from AD military, to retired military/GS civilians.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 27, 2016, 03:52:14 AMIt wasn't until maybe even the '90s when there was sharing going on. I don't recall the reasons, but it happened gradually, reducing the numbers of LOs, until the billets shifted from AD military, to retired military/GS civilians.

It was primarily a happenstance of career moves vs. finding the new guy, then once a position was vacant long enough,
the respective wing, etc., came to the realization they didn't need an independent one and the effort to fill the slot was slowed or
stopped.  It takes a special person to dance with CAP, not to mention the requirements are somewhat "specific", further reducing the
potential pool.

As I recall, CAP-USAF was down to about 30-35 SDs before the last reorganization.

The RAP issue is / was a similar problem, made worse by funding issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: SarDragon on June 27, 2016, 03:52:14 AM

Eons ago ('70s), every wing had their own LO and LNCO. It wasn't until maybe even the '90s when there was sharing going on. I don't recall the reasons, but it happened gradually, reducing the numbers of LOs, until the billets shifted from AD military, to retired military/GS civilians.

In 1994(?), there was a major shakeup in CAP-USAF/CAPHQ staffing; mostly caused by a decrease in the AF budget...  There's been a steady decline of manpower ever since, however that is another story.  CAP-USAF's duties will not change with the realignment.  CAPHQ will still continue to be augmented with volunteer staffers, and (CAP) funding will basically stay the same.

NIN

Quote from: FW on June 27, 2016, 12:05:21 PM
In 1994(?), there was a major shakeup in CAP-USAF/CAPHQ staffing; mostly caused by a decrease in the AF budget...  There's been a steady decline of manpower ever since, however that is another story.  CAP-USAF's duties will not change with the realignment.  CAPHQ will still continue to be augmented with volunteer staffers, and (CAP) funding will basically stay the same.

1994 was when CAPHQ was "divorced" from CAP-USAF and the so-called "CAP, Inc" rose.

Prior to 1994, the "Executive Director" (basically, Don Rowland's job) was also the job of the dual-hatted Commander, CAP-USAF.

And HQ directorates were managed by a combination of USAF personnel and USAF employees (not sure if the civilians were paid by "CAP, Inc" or they got actual USG paychecks)

Look thru old regs, for example, CAPR 147-1 (Exchange Service).  "ELIZABETH A. MASHBURN, Major, USAF. Director of Administration"  Actual USAF officers were the folks who promulgated and issued CAP regulations.

(and the signature block right next to it: "JOHN T. MASSINGALE, JR. Col, USAF. Executive Director"   Col Massingale was the CAP-USAF commander circa 1985-1986 WIWAC)

Post 1994, CAP HQ was "civilianized."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on June 27, 2016, 03:04:40 PM
Quote from: FW on June 27, 2016, 12:05:21 PM

1994 was when CAPHQ was "divorced" from CAP-USAF and the so-called "CAP, Inc" rose.

Prior to 1994, the "Executive Director" (basically, Don Rowland's job) was also the job of the dual-hatted Commander, CAP-USAF.

And HQ directorates were managed by a combination of USAF personnel and USAF employees (not sure if the civilians were paid by "CAP, Inc" or they got actual USG paychecks)

Look thru old regs, for example, CAPR 147-1 (Exchange Service).  "ELIZABETH A. MASHBURN, Major, USAF. Director of Administration"  Actual USAF officers were the folks who promulgated and issued CAP regulations.

(and the signature block right next to it: "JOHN T. MASSINGALE, JR. Col, USAF. Executive Director"   Col Massingale was the CAP-USAF commander circa 1985-1986 WIWAC)

Post 1994, CAP HQ was "civilianized."

FWIW, in 1973 I travelled to Republic of Korea for IACE, in commercial aircraft, but with USAF travel authorization issued by CAP-USAF, which were signed by a "DAFC" (Department of the Air Force Civilian).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Nick

Quote from: NIN on June 27, 2016, 03:04:40 PM

Also known as the good 'ol days.

I recently had a lengthy chat over several days with a CAP-USAF WRC (wing reserve coodinator) who was trying to recruit me back into the program.  His impression is that the ACC (Air Combat Command) realignment is going to ramp up the reserve manning to fund more (unsure how much more) IMA (individual mobilization augmentee; basically a reservist who works for an active duty organization like CAP-USAF) positions to augment the LR (liaison region) staff on a more consistent basis than the PIRR (participating individual ready reservist; lowest tier of a reserve obligation you can have and still re-enlist in the Air Force) reservists that are pretty unpredictable in their availability and participation.  This would be consistent with my experience as the last AF manpower slash and burn of the IMA program around 2008ish(?) when the RMGs (reserve management groups; detachments of the Air Reserve Personnel Center that manage the IMA and PIRR program for the active duty MAJCOMs) were stood up defunded IMAs from the AFRC (AF Reserve Command) budget and left it up to the gaining MAJCOMs to either fund or eliminate the positions.  That effectively eliminated the AETC IMA program (and, in turn, the vast majority of CAP-USAF) because they didn't have operational money to use.  The hope here is that 1 AF with a real-world mission has the money to put IMAs back in the field.

Edit: Added definitions to all those acronyms.  Sorry, I go 3-letter-nuts when I start talking Air Force stuff.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

stillamarine

Quote from: McLarty on August 07, 2016, 06:13:03 AM
Edit: Added definitions to all those acronyms.  Sorry, I go 3-letter-nuts when I start talking Air Force stuff.

Haha, I was about to say "Holy Acronyms Batman!" Be interesting to see how that plays out.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Luis R. Ramos

McLarty-

You should have gone the complete way, and capitalize them!

>:D

Just Joking!

Thank you, as not all of us know their meanings!

:P
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 07, 2016, 06:27:01 PM
McLarty-

You should have gone the complete way, and capitalize them!

>:D

Just Joking!

Thank you, as not all of us know their meanings!

:P

Funny, I understood him no problem. But I was in the Air Force too. >:D

Garibaldi

On a semi-related note, I attended an NJROTC parent's brief with my best friend, whose son is going into the program (For whatever reason he chose NJROTC over CAP, but that's neither here nor there). They had a few acronyms I wasn't familiar with, and dumb me sat through a briefing on the cadet-parent organization for TWENTY MINUTES before I realized the CPO on the screen didn't stand for Chief Petty Officer. I felt so dumb.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

I WILL bite.

CPO, if not Chief Petty Officer...?

???

Duh! [Palm on face!!!]

Cadet-Parent Orgnization?

:-[
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 07, 2016, 09:38:39 PM
I WILL bite.

CPO, if not Chief Petty Officer...?

???

Duh! [Palm on face!!!]

Cadet-Parent Orgnization?

:-[

Exactly my reaction.

SarDragon

OTOH, I almost immediately discard Chief Petty Officer as the expansion of CPO in any non-Navy context.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Remember that Garibaldi's story was at a Navy JROTC event if I understand it correctly, so he had reason to believe it was Navy-related and thus thinking about Chief Petty Officer was justified, but your comments do have merit...
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 08, 2016, 12:53:14 PM
Remember that Garibaldi's story was at a Navy JROTC event if I understand it correctly, so he had reason to believe it was Navy-related and thus thinking about Chief Petty Officer was justified, but your comments do have merit...

To be fair, I had just come back from a 2.5 mile hike and my brain hadn't yet adjusted to oxygen.

Eclipse

I recently had a lengthy chat over several days with a CAP-USAF WRC (wing reserve coodinator) who was trying to recruit me back into the program.  His impression is that the ACC (Air Combat Command) realignment is going to ramp up the reserve manning to fund more (unsure how much more) IMA (individual mobilization augmentee; basically a reservist who works for an active duty organization like CAP-USAF) positions to augment the LR (liaison region) staff on a more consistent basis than the PIRR (participating individual ready reservist...

I'll believe that when I see it - that takes more then initiative, that takes budget, something in significant shortage right now.

The also has to be a cost-benefit to the additional personnel, which means the converse would have to be "what's not getting done today".

Between RIFs, realignments, and program changes, CAP-USAF has been significantly marginalized over the last 5 years or so.
They no longer certify, or even need to be involved with encampments, they don't test Spaatz candidates, and their
reduction in numbers makes it very difficult for them to be much more then peripheral to Wing Plans and Programs, but with that
said, very little, to my knowledge, isn't getting "done" that could be done by RAPS.

The nation is in a draw-down, too, which means just finding reservists at all with the right attitude, not to mention proximity, gets
harder every day.  The election might change that, or it might not.

I'll take 10 reservists tomorrow if they want to join my unit, but if the idea is to have them visits more, smile politely, and watch the clock,
that doesn't offer much in the way of ROI.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2016, 02:13:11 AM
I recently had a lengthy chat over several days with a CAP-USAF WRC (wing reserve coodinator) who was trying to recruit me back into the program.  His impression is that the ACC (Air Combat Command) realignment is going to ramp up the reserve manning to fund more (unsure how much more) IMA (individual mobilization augmentee; basically a reservist who works for an active duty organization like CAP-USAF) positions to augment the LR (liaison region) staff on a more consistent basis than the PIRR (participating individual ready reservist...

I'll believe that when I see it - that takes more then initiative, that takes budget, something in significant shortage right now.

The also has to be a cost-benefit to the additional personnel, which means the converse would have to be "what's not getting done today".

Between RIFs, realignments, and program changes, CAP-USAF has been significantly marginalized over the last 5 years or so.
They no longer certify, or even need to be involved with encampments, they don't test Spaatz candidates, and their
reduction in numbers makes it very difficult for them to be much more then peripheral to Wing Plans and Programs, but with that
said, very little, to my knowledge, isn't getting "done" that could be done by RAPS.

The nation is in a draw-down, too, which means just finding reservists at all with the right attitude, not to mention proximity, gets
harder every day.  The election might change that, or it might not.

I'll take 10 reservists tomorrow if they want to join my unit, but if the idea is to have them visits more, smile politely, and watch the clock,
that doesn't offer much in the way of ROI.

Bob, your optimism is always refreshing. ;)

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the MAJCOM shuffle might help them out some. Just because AETC is notoriously horrible for manpower doesn't mean ACC is. If they don't show any results by the end of FY 17, then we know it was all hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

PHall

Bob, there is a world of difference between the mindset of AETC and the mindset of ACC.
AETC is a training organization, ACC is an organization that actually accomplishes the mission.