Main Menu

If you had the power

Started by usafcap1, May 01, 2015, 11:21:54 PM

Майор Хаткевич

2b anyone who says they are in the Air Force/Military when asked about CAP.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 03, 2015, 12:36:12 AM

I know this shouldn't surprise me, but...

This happens?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 03, 2015, 01:19:18 AM

I know this shouldn't surprise me, but...

This happens?

Rarely, but yes.

Flying Pig

I've been involved with CAP since 1986 and I've never heard anyone in CAP say they were in the Air Force.  Unless they were in the Air Force.  So fortunately I don't think you would be very busy.

Garibaldi

I've heard cadets say it, but when you see a stringy short 13 or 14 year old saying that, it's kind of a no-brained.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

sarmed1

I actually had heard 2nd hand about a guy at work making the claim....he had some line about how he was a flight crew member, who did counter drug work part of the time and did air force missions during time of war or disaster..... he never mentioned CAP specifically though; he didnt know I was a local squadron commander and I did eventually get the "story"....
I then dropped the bomb of "oh you mean you are in Civil Air Patrol?"; and had a little counseling session about being proud of what he did and shouldnt try to be vague and misleading about it or try to mis-represnt himself as a member of the military

It doesnt happen often, but it does happen

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

A.Member

In no particular order:

1.  Complete overhaul of all regulations with the goal being the elimination/significant reduction in administrivia, particularly that related to flying activities.  This includes complete overhaul of SUI process.  Goal: minimum 25 - 30% reduction in non-value added crap tasks/paperwork. 

2.  Complete cultural overhaul with a shift away from the punitive environment that exists, particularly in re: flying activities (tied to #1)

3.  Replace overly conservative legal counsel and bureaucracy at National level (ties to 1 and 2).

4.  Upgrade technology to consistent professional level; this includes providing common cap.gov email address for all members (thus eliminating skyacesuperjock69@juno.com and other silliness).  Provide updated website and social media templates (and mandate they be followed when creating an online presence) - i.e. Google Apps or similar

5.  Get rid of the current PAO and the silly triangle nonsense; they are lost

6.  Renewed focus on developing relationships with agencies and organizations at a National level with support down to the squadron level

7.  Stop buying new aircraft for a couple years and purchase mission enhancing technology instead, such as aircraft mounted gimbal IR/imagiing (i.e. FLIR) devices, with a minimum of 2 per Wing.  Other options include GPS messaging system, such as SPOT, to automate aircrew and ground team check-in locations...or utilize a tool, such as My Tracks with an automated overlay of Google Maps for real-time situational awareness of assets. Etc.

8.  Develop cyber mission for cadets and seniors in conjunction with USAF

9.  Develop UAV/drone program for cadets; replace model rocketry?

10.  Increase focus on multi-Wing/Regional ES exercises, perhaps even National ES exercises; i.e. one CAP
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

usafcap1

I would create a better membership system that would allow members to do more than one year of dues. Maybe 2,3,4 years at a time. And it gets cheaper as you purchase more years.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

FW

^Was actually done a few years ago, but only about 100 members took advantage of the system.  It would be nice if, however, we could have credit card automatic renewal.  I understand it can be done with our management software, but...?

DoubleSecret

Double 2B them for USAFX or USAF AUX when used in lieu of CAP.

usafcap1

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 03, 2015, 10:28:39 PM

These are both good ideas. I think it would be smart to establish some type of course to reeducate members that they are not in the military. And that they don't have the authorization to go around ordering military NCOs and officers as if they were in the military.

I think there should be some repercussions for doing this.

But in the end establishing a task force of some sort to eradicate this issue would be a waste of time and money.

(The ordering military officials around has happened multiple times that I have heard.)

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Airplane girl

There should be something for non members to:

a) tell people what CAP is
b) inform them we are not the military

It's really awkward when people confuse me for being in the military. I don't know why people would tell people that they're in the military.

Once this guy came up to me, with pants that were almost down to his feet. He pretended to salute me, and said "Hey yo sir," As you can probably tell from my name, I'm not a sir. I'm nowhere even close to a sir (A C/TSgt). All of that happened before he started digging through the trash... That was the first time something like that happened, but it wasn't the last.

Spam

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 02, 2015, 12:14:17 AM
8. Add back Radiological Monitoring. (I like the badge, we can be useful to the EPA WRT taking readings near some superfund sites, and increasing knowledge about how radiation works is IMO important.)

Once you've been through radiation worker training, your opinion may change on this. As relatively poorly equipped volunteers who already have issues maintaining SAR community standards of training, it would be extremely ill-advised from a risk standpoint to attempt to employ our members in hazmat/radiation worker specific incidents. Especially so considering that many of our members are the very young and the rather old (cadets and older senior members) who are biologically more at risk from injury due to ionizing radiation.

I get where you're coming from though, I crunched through the ground and ARM training when I was a cadet and then young senior member, and then started working around stuff professionally, and realized how far behind the times/behind the industry CAP tends to be. I even liked the badge...

Spam

usafcap1

Quote from: Airplane girl on May 04, 2015, 12:09:59 AM
There should be something for non members to:

a) tell people what CAP is
b) inform them we are not the military

It's really awkward when people confuse me for being in the military. I don't know why people would tell people that they're in the military.

Once this guy came up to me, with pants that were almost down to his feet. He pretended to salute me, and said "Hey yo sir," As you can probably tell from my name, I'm not a sir. I'm nowhere even close to a sir (A C/TSgt). All of that happened before he started digging through the trash... That was the first time something like that happened, but it wasn't the last.

I think a lot of members tend to say that they're in the military because the general public will accept somebody who's in a military uniform as if they are in the military.

I also believe a lot of members say they're in the military because it's easier to explain that they're in the military than to try to explain that there in the Civil Air Patrol as an easy way out vs. trying to rededicate the public.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Spam on May 04, 2015, 12:20:22 AM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 02, 2015, 12:14:17 AM

8. Add back Radiological Monitoring. (I like the badge, we can be useful to the EPA WRT taking readings near some superfund sites, and increasing knowledge about how radiation works is IMO important.)

Once you've been through radiation worker training, your opinion may change on this. As relatively poorly equipped volunteers who already have issues maintaining SAR community standards of training, it would be extremely ill-advised from a risk standpoint to attempt to employ our members in hazmat/radiation worker specific incidents. Especially so considering that many of our members are the very young and the rather old (cadets and older senior members) who are biologically more at risk from injury due to ionizing radiation.

I get where you're coming from though, I crunched through the ground and ARM training when I was a cadet and then young senior member, and then started working around stuff professionally, and realized how far behind the times/behind the industry CAP tends to be. I even liked the badge...

Spam

Well, remember that for the purpose of this thread, in my perfect world where I'm the Supreme Commander of the Civil Air Patrol, I already normalized and cleaned up our SAR standards and procedures.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: usafcap1 on May 03, 2015, 11:34:44 PM

These are both good ideas. I think it would be smart to establish some type of course to reeducate members that they are not in the military. And that they don't have the authorization to go around ordering military NCOs and officers as if they were in the military.

But in the end establishing a task force of some sort to eradicate this issue would be a waste of time and money.

(The ordering military officials around has happened multiple times that I have heard.)

What do you mean whe you say "...that I have heard?"

Are you saying that you have heard of specific instances wher it has happened? Or are you saying that you have heard other people saying that they heard of it?

I've been around CAP since 1967, at squadron, group and wing assignments, mostly at wing he. I've never heard of this happening where there was an actual name, date or reference attached to anything of the sort - it's all been "...that I heard" and has never tracked back to anything real.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

Establish a " Paid Life Membership". The NEC actually approved this in May of 1991. Unfortunately it has never been implemented. Dr Dothrow  keeps asking for fund raising and this would be perfect. Member pays $1000, At 5% interest their membership is paid every year. Upon their death-the original $1000 is still generating interest. If you have 1000 members who take advantage, plus another 100 per year, every year CAP would be collecting a minimum of $50,000/year. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

usafcap1

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 04, 2015, 04:13:52 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on May 03, 2015, 11:34:44 PM

What do you mean whe you say "...that I have heard?"

Are you saying that you have heard of specific instances wher it has happened? Or are you saying that you have heard other people saying that they heard of it?

I've been around CAP since 1967, at squadron, group and wing assignments, mostly at wing he. I've never heard of this happening where there was an actual name, date or reference attached to anything of the sort - it's all been "...that I heard" and has never tracked back to anything real.

I've heard other people tell me said story. As a second lieutenant when I heard the story so I assume that it must be true seeing how it came from higher ranking officers.

I was told that first lieutenant of Idaho wing was on an Air Force Base, an NCO walked by, didn't salute the first lieutenant ,forced that nco to salute him causing IDWG CAP not to be able to go to this particular Air Force Base. Whether this is true or not I don't know if it is this is very sad.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 04, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
Establish a " Paid Life Membership". The NEC actually approved this in May of 1991. Unfortunately it has never been implemented. Dr Dothrow  keeps asking for fund raising and this would be perfect. Member pays $1000, At 5% interest their membership is paid every year. Upon their death-the original $1000 is still generating interest. If you have 1000 members who take advantage, plus another 100 per year, every year CAP would be collecting a minimum of $50,000/year.

+1 This is actually a pretty good idea.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: usafcap1 on May 04, 2015, 02:58:54 PM
I was told that first lieutenant of Idaho wing was on an Air Force Base, an NCO walked by, didn't salute the first lieutenant ,forced that nco to salute him causing IDWG CAP not to be able to go to this particular Air Force Base. Whether this is true or not I don't know if it is this is very sad.

Many of these 'trolling for salutes' stories are apocryphal. Yes, some have happened but this may have been the 'straw that broke the camel's back' regarding CAP access to the base. The base commander is the ultimate authority on who sets foot on their installation. Some of the abuses that have put us in the doghouse with Ma Blue:

Abuse of exchange privileges - you are allowed to purchase military clothing, gasoline and sundries at the Express (except for booze and tobacco) and eat at the AAFES-themed restaurants (Burger King, Popeye's, Subway, etc.) You are not allowed purchases at the main exchange unless you have a military support authorization (MSA) letter while occupying government quarters on base.

Speeding and parking tickets on base.

Poor wear of the uniform.

Security violations.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040