Main Menu

Letter from AF re: CGM

Started by Alaric, January 08, 2015, 07:24:05 PM

Alaric

ProdigalJim

Hmmm. A little "Kremlinology" here makes for some interesting (and I think potentially positive) conversation:

1) She uses the phrase "on behalf of your fellow Airmen" (my emphasis)

2) She uses the clause "in the past, present and future" (my emphasis)

3) She says "we could not ask for more dedicated Wingmen than the men and women of the Civil Air Patrol..."

Now yes, all letters like this give off a glow due to their ceremonial nature. But there were many ways to craft that letter without saying those phrases. For some of the CTalkers who are convinced the Air Force doesn't like us, isn't committed to our future and so forth, there are meaningful messages here in the subtext. We're "fellow Airmen," not red-headed stepchildren; she points to the future, implying that we have one, and characterizes us as Wingmen. I'm very pleased by the recognition and the choice of words.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

lordmonar

That would be double plus good.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

I got a warm feeling from the address to fellow airmen.

JeffDG

lordmonar

Quote from: winterg on January 08, 2015, 08:03:57 PM
And jokes aside.....it is the truth.  Those that matter....do think we are part of the team.

winterg

It really is a small thing compared to the main point of the letter, CAP wartime service. But the simple gesture to let us know that we are part of the Air Force team goes a long way in my mind.

flyboy53

Quote from: lordmonar on January 08, 2015, 08:12:29 PM
And jokes aside.....it is the truth.  Those that matter....do think we are part of the team.

True. I'm still a little curious though about the references to CAP "veterans" during the ceremony.

James Shaw

It is a very nice Thank You letter, and I will take it as that. Very nice to see the effort.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

FW

I appreciate the letter. I felt warm on a very cold day....

Flying Pig

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 09, 2015, 10:45:48 AM

True. I'm still a little curious though about the references to CAP "veterans" during the ceremony.

I guess they would be CAP veterans.  Im a Law Enforcement vet, Im a veteran member of CAP.....    The context isnt always in reference to military service.  Thats how I would take it. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 09, 2015, 10:45:48 AM

I would attribute that to the fact the ceremony was honoring CAP members for their wartime service.

James Shaw

Several years ago (about 2009) there was an effort made to get CAP WWII Members recognized as "Veterans" for their service (American Defense Service Medal)(. There were some prior WWII Members that were filing for benefits based on their CAP Service. They did not have any luck with that. It was one of the first things I worked on when I became National Curator. I was told it never worked out, but was not told why. I was asked to do a design for possible CAP recognition.

There were many designs that were requested that never made it.

They may not have qualified under the "technical definition" at the time but I treated them as though they were.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jim Shaw

Flying Pig

Seriously... I know these people have a unique place in CAPs history, but they aren't military vets.  An admin clerk E-1 based in Kansas who never left the country had more skin in the game than a CAP member who served at their leisure.

DoubleSecret

Like when I got a varsity letter for being the guy who videotaped the actual players :)

RiverAux

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 09, 2015, 03:58:41 PM
Seriously... I know these people have a unique place in CAPs history, but they aren't military vets.  An admin clerk E-1 based in Kansas who never left the country had more skin in the game than a CAP member who served at their leisure.

With the exception of the guys flying bombs around.  Lots of effort right after WWII to get them some recognition, but it never worked out. 

lordmonar

Quote from: DoubleSecret on January 09, 2015, 05:35:20 PM

Like when I got a varsity letter for being the guy who videotaped the actual players :)
Part of the team is part of the team.

James Shaw

Quote from: lordmonar on January 09, 2015, 06:22:30 PM
Part of the team is part of the team.

When I was on active duty I left the NSA/Ford Aerospace Division to go to my first real duty station. Misawa Air Base Japan as part of NSGA Naval Security Group Activity 53 Division. I arrive about 2330 and went to my assigned barracks. About two moths  later during a Command Award Ceremony we were called up to be presented with the Naval Unit Commendation Banner for the Command. I did not move when they called my division up. I was later fussed at for not participating. I told them I had not been at the base long enough to qualify from my understanding. My orders were stamped at 2357 on the last day of the "Eligibility Period" and got it anyway. After a small butt chewing from my Division Officer I was quickly told to get my uniform corrected.

Jim Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2015, 06:10:31 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 09, 2015, 03:58:41 PM

With the exception of the guys flying bombs around.  Lots of effort right after WWII to get them some recognition, but it never worked out.

Merchant Mariners of WWII did not get recognized with Veteran status until 1989 or so. Then they were listed as USCG members and received discharge papers to that effect.  8)