Main Menu

Possible Faker

Started by JK657, February 19, 2014, 11:02:23 PM

Storm Chaser

Maybe he meant to say he was a retired Lt Col in CAP and typing USAF was just a "mistake". :P

It's hard to say. Either way, he could either clarify this "mistake" or provide the evidence requested.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 22, 2014, 12:33:44 AM
Maybe he meant to say he was a retired Lt Col in CAP and typing USAF was just a "mistake". :P

It's hard to say. Either way, he could either clarify this "mistake" or provide the evidence requested.

That was his argument.  The actual signature is really USAF Aux but it has been cropped out.

abdsp51

Senior Members where still wearing CAP cutouts on the Service Coat and BDUs when I left in 99.  We went to the Grey slides and nameplates around 96.

A.Member

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 22, 2014, 12:33:44 AM

There was no mistake.  He is a liar!   

This was just one of several major lies he told.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

Quote from: LSThiker on February 22, 2014, 12:39:04 AMThat was his argument.  The actual signature is really USAF Aux but it has been cropped out.
Backtrack backfill. :)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2014, 03:32:31 AM
Senior Members where still wearing CAP cutouts on the Service Coat and BDUs when I left in 99.  We went to the Grey slides and nameplates around 96.

Double check. The US cutouts were approved by CSAF Fogleman when he referenced CAP as being part of the "Total Force." He stepped down in 1997.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

LSThiker

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on February 22, 2014, 05:42:32 AM
Double check. The US cutouts were approved by CSAF Fogleman when he referenced CAP as being part of the "Total Force." He stepped down in 1997.

There is a change highlight bar next to the US cutouts in the 1997 CAPM 39-1.

JeffDG

Quote from: BillB on February 21, 2014, 11:55:39 PM
If I put on my CAP application that I served 4 years as Presidentof theUnited States, do you think it would get by Suzie Parker?
If your name were BillC, maybe 8. ;)

skymaster

Quote from: LSThiker on February 20, 2014, 05:18:09 AM
Quote from: Jaison009 on February 20, 2014, 04:16:56 AM
Anybody else notice he is wearing a blue colored nametag in pic 2 with blue CAP insignia with white railroad tracks from "SOS" dated 2011? For those of us who are real members we know the only ones who wear blue and white nametags are cadets. This has been the way it was since WIWAC in 1996.

Well the 2011 date is when it was posted to the forum, not necessarily when it was taken.  Remember, we were wearing blue epaulets back in like the late 80s.  We went from metal on the service coat/blue epaulets on shirt to maroon epaulets to gray epaulet all in the late 80s early 90s.  So again, it is possible that at one point in time (not necessarily current or today), he was a CAP Lt Col.  Of course the SOS is probably a fabrication and he really meant SLS or simply another program back then that used SOS or just a complete lie.  So he probably is not a current CAP member, but at least at one point in time he was a member.
The only way that photo of him with the short sleeve AF Blue shirt, with the dark blue CAP Captain epaulets and white-on-blue 3-line CAP nameplate could be correct, would be if that particular photo was taken sometime in the time period 1978 through 1992. In 1992, CAP changed to the maroon epaulets worn with the same white-on-blue 3-line nameplate, and in 1995 changed to the current grey epaulets and white-on-grey 3-line nameplate design that we still wear today. Even with that being a photo in a completely valid, authorised uniform from 1992 or before, his claim that it was taken at SOS seems a bit dubious. While CAP members of that era in the grade of Captain or above could have taken the Air Force Squadron Officer School as CAP members via the Air Force Extension Course Institute, with tests being sent to Wing HQ for the examination, no CAP member who was not also a member of the active AF or Reserve or Air National Guard as a Captain or above could attend the "in-residence" version during the time period that that uniform was authorised . If by the comment in that photo, he intended to say that the photo was taken at a CAP Squadron Leadership School (which, while it is an excellent CAP training activity, is in no way the same thing as AF SOS, even by correspondence), which to me screams "poser".

skymaster

Quote from: Panache on February 20, 2014, 05:13:24 AM
What throws up a red flag for me is him posing in his AF blues with metal Lt. Col. grade insignia on his service coat and US lapels.  His comment was that they were switching between blue, maroon, and gray epaulets so he just "left them off" for the picture.

If anyone looks closely, the cut of the service coat that he is wearing is the new style Service dress uniform, with the "Hap Arnold" buttons, that the Air Force adopted in 1993. We must therefore assume that this particular service dress photo was taken no earlier than 1993. While CAP was authorised to wear metal grade insignia on the shoulder straps, of the service dress uniform, this was authorised on the AF-distinctive (and earlier AAF-distinctive) uniforms, for the period 1941 through 1992. If it were the "old style" AF service dress (similar to what the actors portraying AF officers in the "I Dream of Jeannie" wore on that television series), then the CAP devices would have been correct through 1992, but only on the old style service coat. And even then, the silver U.S. collar brass was NEVER authorised on the CAP uniform at the same time as metal grade insignia, and would not replace the "CAP" cutouts on the lapels until 1995. Even counting that short period of time in 1992 that CAP members wore the maroon CAP "circlet" on the shoulder straps of the service coat, it was still a period of almost 3 YEARS between CAP wearing metal grade insignia and authorisation to wear the U.S. collar brass, which to me still screams "poser".

AlphaSigOU

Methinks something is rotten in Denmark... and boy, does it stink!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 22, 2014, 06:30:02 PM
Methinks something is rotten in Denmark... and boy, does it stink!

Not in Denmark...in Texas, and it sure isn't Longhorn crap in the hot sun.

I wonder if his commander in the TX State Guard has been made aware of this?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NIN

Quote from: CyBorg on February 22, 2014, 06:57:51 PM

More accurately: "how many times?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JK657

Holy cow! This thing has taken off. As what happens so often, it started with the discovery of one lie and now a whole can has been opened. Read the comments on TAH... Even Tesla's thread didn't get this much attention!

NIN

Quote from: JK657 on February 22, 2014, 07:48:10 PM
Holy cow! This thing has taken off. As what happens so often, it started with the discovery of one lie and now a whole can has been opened. Read the comments on TAH... Even Tesla's thread didn't get this much attention!

The TAH threads that get great attention are usually the ones where the faker makes grandiose threats toward the accusers that wind up being completely off base.. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: NIN on February 22, 2014, 07:17:57 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on February 22, 2014, 06:57:51 PM

More accurately: "how many times?"

Point taken.  And if he is a Corporal in the TXSG, he may well be kissing those stripes bye-bye.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on February 22, 2014, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: JK657 on February 22, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

The TAH threads that get great attention are usually the ones where the faker makes grandiose threats toward the accusers that wind up being completely off base.. :)

And they were. The backtracking and threats were very evident, and not taken very seriously due to the serious grammatical errors made by this so-called PhD.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

flyboy53

So, where are all those NHQ legal beagles who press companies about manufacturing CAP insignia? Yeah, I get it cheaper to sue a corporation about producing than to pursue a faker.

Ned

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 23, 2014, 01:28:13 PM
So, where are all those NHQ legal beagles who press companies about manufacturing CAP insignia? Yeah, I get it cheaper to sue a corporation about producing than to pursue a faker.

Colonel,

Your comment is a little unfair.

1.  NHQ has a total of one "legal beagle" on staff, our General Counsel.

2.  We have never spent a significant amount of money sueing anyone about producing anything.  Because a letter usually works well in commercial applications.  Letters are inexpensive.

3.  Most importantly, there are no legal remedies available to CAP in most faker situations.  Because in most situations, there is a First Amendment right to lie about things, including CAP service.  Even for something like actual military service.  Most of the Stolen Valor act was found unconstitutional on that basis.

The most effective response to someone telling lies is for someone else to tell the truth.  Not litigation.  And this thread (and similar efforts at TAH) are pretty good examples of an effective response.

One of the hardest things for any lawyer to say is "you can get better results by NOT bringing a lawsuit or sending a nasty letter." 

Luis R. Ramos

QuoteFrom Ned:

Because in most situations, there is a First Amendment right to lie about things...

The other side of the coin is that you, and that Court, is saying that everyone has a right to deceive the public. This would not be a nice place if most of the people decided they have no responsibility to be honest and do the right thing towards others...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer