A Cadet in an Active-Shooter Incident

Started by Stonewall, February 05, 2013, 01:49:19 AM

bosshawk

Many years ago, I had a similar problem.  Bought and used an electric razor: problem solved.  Couldn't use a safety razor now if I wanted to: might lose too much blood.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RRLE

Quote from: NIN on February 07, 2013, 06:48:34 PMLesson learned: I need a trauma kit in my bathroom cabinet if I'm gonna be that clumsy with sharp objects.

I know I'm going to date myself with this. There was a better day when (Real) Men had such a "trauma kit" in the bathroom. It was designed for just such emergency care. It was easy to operate. All you did was remove it from its case, assuming you left it in its case. Then you wet it and applied it. It worked fairly well for over a century. It is fairly low tech.

It is a styptic pencil.

a2capt

A similar local story here:
Quote from: UT San DiegoCARLSBAD — The shipment of gunshot survival kits had arrived the night before, and Lt. Terry Stayer claimed the first pack for herself the next morning. She tucked the little vacuum-sealed baggie in the pocket of her ballistic vest, and then spent the next few hours distributing the rest to the roughly 75 other police officers in Haltom City, Texas.

By the end of the day, that tiny first-aid kit, developed by a retired cop who lives in Carlsbad, would be credited with helping to save an officer's life.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/06/carlsbad-officer-survival-solutions-halton-city/

cap235629

has anyone ever heard of a stypic pencil??????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on February 08, 2013, 07:51:09 AM
has anyone ever heard of a stypic pencil? ??? ??

Sure. Got one in the bathroom. It's basically alum and a binder. Put in on a shaving cut, and it stops it right up. Boxing trainers use similar stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styptic#Styptics
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: RRLE on February 08, 2013, 04:54:41 AM
It is a styptic pencil.

The last styptic pencil I had was probably 20 years ago. Seriously.

I occasionally nick myself. Like, maybe once every six months.  If I was really prone to cutting myself, I might get one.

But this, man, talk about an arterial gusher on my earlobe. Crikey.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Mine has got to be at least 15 years olde. Instead of wetting it under the faucet, I wet a Q-tip, and run it around on the flat end, and then apply to the cut. Gives a more precise application, and doesn't waste it washing it down the drain. Same basic technique used on boxers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Biggest thread hijack in CAP Talk history; from active shooter to septic pencils for shaving nicks.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on February 09, 2013, 12:55:13 PM
Biggest thread hijack in CAP Talk history; from active shooter to septic pencils for shaving nicks.

But are septic pencils authorized in AF blues? >:D

Luis R. Ramos

Stone and Flying:

Are you being sarcastic or is that a typo?

::)

From Styptic to Septic is a looong stretch!

:P

Septic means "infected" or similar.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

RRLE and SAR-

Where did you get yours? Whenever I have tried getting one, no one knows! I have tried Walgreens, Rite Aid, and similar. No dice!

I have been forced to put tiny pieces of toilet paper on the nicks. Works somewhat, part of the time. It is a time-waster as well.

I remember the styptic pencil worked but it had a side. It stung!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

cm42

Somewhere, something said that chap stick can work for sealing up nicks in a pinch.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 10, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
RRLE and SAR-

Where did you get yours? Whenever I have tried getting one, no one knows! I have tried Walgreens, Rite Aid, and similar. No dice!

I have been forced to put tiny pieces of toilet paper on the nicks. Works somewhat, part of the time. It is a time-waster as well.

I remember the styptic pencil worked but it had a side. It stung!

Flyer

Like I said, mine is ancient. I think I got it at the Exchange.. They last forever, especially if you only shave once a week.  :angel:

Look in the shaving gear section of the drug store. Try a grocery store that sells that stuff, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Pylon

Not to derail this thread even more, but I've had the same styptic pencil for probably 5 years or more and it's still got 95% of its original product.  One styptic pencil will probably last you half of your adult life.  Amazon it.  It's worth it, stinging or not.

Quote from: NIN on February 07, 2013, 08:05:05 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on February 07, 2013, 07:23:22 PM
Where did you get that IFAK?  8)
Came sailing out of the sky one day...
Gear adrift is a gift!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RRLE

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 10, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
RRLE and SAR-

Where did you get yours? Whenever I have tried getting one, no one knows!

Mine is at least 30 years old and is at least 3/4 of its original size. If you don't drop and break it, they seem to last forever. It also helps if you don't have to use it a lot.  :)

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

That Anonymous Guy

PHall