Main Menu

Safety topic ideas?

Started by whatevah, December 30, 2005, 01:37:58 AM

whatevah

What are some safety topics that are actually interesting to talk about?  I heard about a packet of info a few wings have made, but I haven't seen them.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PWK-GT

PM me or email me and I'll send you some dandy's.......
"Is it Friday yet"

MustangCadet

i posted one but it deleted it
C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

whatevah

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

smj58501

Interesting topics should not be the intent; pertinant and informative should be. Some safety info is flat out dull, but that does not take away from its importance. A safety officer should not strive to provide entertainment during a meeting, but rather to provide the membership vital information that will help save lives and preserve property.

That being said, there is no reason why you cannot present it in an interesting fashion. Not every topic will grab everyones attention... to strive to do so is unrealistic. But... One of the best things you can do up front in the presentation is make it clear why this is important to them, and reinforce that throughout the presentation. People tend to be interested in a topic if you can sell them on how it impacts them.

What I have found success with is tying the safety brief to pertinent issues impacting the squadron and CAP as a whole. Examples may include:

1. Look at upcoming exercises and review issues that have been identified as part of the preliminary ORM.
2. Teach the ORM process.
3. Review seasonal safety issues (winter driving/ flying, heat injuries, etc.)
4. Look at previous accidents (e.g CAP wide) and use the lessons learned from them to help prevent such an accident from occuring in your squadron
5. Bring in a guest speaker
6. Pick a topic and use a fun event to reinforce the lessons (a game or some other competetive event)

The possibilities are limited to the imagination (I know, bad cliche but true nonetheless). Not every topic will be interesting to everyone, but many can be if you are able to personalize them to the organization.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Brick

I am a safety officer in a senior flying squadron. I find that aviation safety magazine usually has some very good stuff for safety briefings on the flying side of the house. We are also mimicking active duty AF squadrons by having an emergency procedure of the month for the C-182. We focus on one emergency procedure per month. Hopefully over time, our pilots and aircrews will have spent enough time in the POH to know the airplane cold, and wont have to fumble through the checklist if an emergency situation should arise.

Capt. Brek Grover, CAP
Weber Minuteman Composite Squadron SE
Hill AFB, Utah

Major_Chuck

You might get some ideas from our website as well.

http://www.mer.cap.gov/safety

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 10, 2006, 04:29:49 AM

I love the motto. Safety:  It's not just the box we check.  It's the way we operate!

Great sentiment!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

G.E. Burns

Teachers have to grasp and hold the teachees' attention.  Some excel, some anethtisize, others fall in between.  You cannot force a bored person to listen.  But there is a way to grasp and hold attention. 

King Aviation has DVDs on Practical Risk Management Courses: for Pilots, for Weather, and for Takeoff and Landings.  It takes you from the planning to the end of a flight – pausing frequently to ask what would you do in this case.  No pilot would shun that challenge.  But it makes you think and it's not easy.  They keep score, and you return to the questions you missed till you get them right.  Full attention.  Excellent training. 

Each DVD costs $49.  They're worth it.  Your Wing may fund them, or you could spread the costs and bicycle the DVD around the Wing.  (You can't burn copies.)   

AOPA's Air Safety Foundation has a raft of Free (repeat, Free) Online Courses – named Mission Possible.  Like King's, with less Hollywood.  They use animation, video, interaction with the pilots.  They cover Mountain Flying, weather, navigating in special use air space.  Completion of a course earns points toward the Wings program.   For pilots in a hurry, they have 15 minute courses – but without Wings points. 

While these courses are designed for individuals, they are perfectly suited for training groups at meetings.   

Also, every pilot should subscribe to Callback, NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System (http:asrs.arc.nasa.gov/). 

I hope this may be helpful. 

George E. Burns
New York City Group

RiverAux

At one time Iowa Wing had a huge book of ready made safety meeting topics that you could download off their website.  Not all of the topics were specifically CAP-related, but there were enough to keep you going for a LONG time.

Major Carrales

Maybe some intrepid Safety Officer might make a weekly post here on a issue that will improve us all.  It would at least put the ball in play, that we score is up to us.

:)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: smj58501 on December 30, 2005, 08:48:31 PM
1. Look at upcoming exercises and review issues that have been identified as part of the preliminary ORM.
2. Teach the ORM process.
3. Review seasonal safety issues (winter driving/ flying, heat injuries, etc.)
4. Look at previous accidents (e.g CAP wide) and use the lessons learned from them to help prevent such an accident from occuring in your squadron
5. Bring in a guest speaker
6. Pick a topic and use a fun event to reinforce the lessons (a game or some other competetive event)
This is pretty good.

ORM is a must, reinforce that with a 45min-hour brief quarterly, do table tops/hands on - eg break into groups & do assessments for a hypothetical activity, same thing cadets'll have to do on encampmet staff.

Otherwise safety briefings tend to be stupid & mind numbing, don't do that. If you don't have something good to say, don't. Try the hands on approach, get blood moving.

Do also spend some time each quarter on weather realted injuries - I think you need to talk about recrognizing & treating heat injuries at least 10 months out of the year here, and with them doing PT, GT, & flightline it's a must anyway. Cover winter when it gets cold - I know it doesn't much down there, but it gets a bit nippy at night in the rain in December, even in Corpus - plus you guys have those freakin quail size mosquitos that carry all kinds of crap (we got em too). ...Point being talk about actually practical stuff, or make boring info entertaining so they'll keep thinking in terms of safety, otherwise don't waste their time.

Pilots/crew are another story. They should be doing sessions like a military flying unit does - which is deconstructing accident reports & talking thru scenerios from each point of view. That bit of almost accident investigation experience comes in handy on a crash site by the way.

Everybody else - don't walk into the big spinny thing in front of the plane & don't get me killed or I'm gonna kick you butt.  ;D

Al Sayre

I find that the Darwin Awards website is a good place to find topics that help lighten the mood, and get people thinking about safety before you dive into the heavy stuff.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

A.Member

In light of a couple events over the past few weeks, weather related safety topics would be a good choice - anything from driving in weather (or not driving, as it may be) to walking up the sidewalk on the way into the meeting.

As mentioned, keep it light/entertaining. 

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

davedove

It always helps to have examples of what has happened when a safety procedure was NOT followed.  It's all fine and dandy to talk about what might happen, but show that it has happened tends to drive the point home better.

I saw a poster that was displayed in several Army shops that gave a real good view of what can happen when you wer a ring around machinery.  It showed a man's hand with the ring finger torn off.  Sitting next to the hand was the finger with the wedding ring still on it.  Very graphic, but it drove home the point pretty effectively.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: davedove on December 21, 2006, 02:17:17 PM
It always helps to have examples of what has happened when a safety procedure was NOT followed.  It's all fine and dandy to talk about what might happen, but show that it has happened tends to drive the point home better.

I saw a poster that was displayed in several Army shops that gave a real good view of what can happen when you wer a ring around machinery.  It showed a man's hand with the ring finger torn off.  Sitting next to the hand was the finger with the wedding ring still on it.  Very graphic, but it drove home the point pretty effectively.

I've seen those Army posters, and a few other photos the Army has used to show injuries that rings have caused.  Makes me remember to take off mine before working outside the office environment.   :o

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on December 21, 2006, 03:00:37 PM

I've seen those Army posters, and a few other photos the Army has used to show injuries that rings have caused.  Makes me remember to take off mine before working outside the office environment.   :o
I've seen those too...makes me want to tak mine off even in the office environment!  :o
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

Quote from: A.Member on December 21, 2006, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: Pylon on December 21, 2006, 03:00:37 PM

I've seen those too...makes me want to tak mine off even in the office environment!  :o

I think the paper-pusher version of those posters should be made.  Perhaps cartoons of Dilbert after getting a tie caught in the shredder... what happens when you open too many drawers on the file cabinet and it becomes front heavy...  why you should always be careful when pouring coffee...  what happens when your co-worker who smokes wears too much flammable aqua de gio cologne.... you know, the good stuff!  ;)

I also bet they'd make great CAP safety briefings for the mission base and squadron administrative and support positions  ;) .  If anything, it'd make for a humorous safety session which might encourage people to not fall asleep during these important sessions!

CAP428

Quote from: CAP Sergeant on February 10, 2006, 04:29:49 AM

Hmmm, that always makes me smile.  Does nobody else think it is funny that we named one of our regions the "Middle East" Region??  I think it is.  It reminds me of Anchorman when Brick Tamblin says something like "It's 42 degrees in the uppermidwest and compare that to 38 degrees in the Middle East."

Anyway, onto the safety question.  I think learning safety "onsite" is more fun than in a classroom.  For example, you could take a meeting night and go out to a flight line and talk "hands on" about safety on the flight line.

Or perhaps go on a simulated SAR outside (we have a sort of riverbed right behind where we meet) and talk about safety during SAR.

In my opinion, anything done in a simulated environment is more interesting than in a classroom.....and you usually learn more as well.