The New CAPM 39-1 Now Available

Started by MisterCD, June 26, 2014, 05:25:56 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 27, 2014, 04:13:23 AMApparently we all need to move our grade insignias on the BDU caps..   The diagram shows them centered above the seam.

Page 1:
"Clarifies rank insignia for officers should be centered on the BDU and Blue Field Caps to match USAF standard. "

I rarely wear the Castro hat, but I went with the metal anyway.

Another typo - the Chaplain's insignia is still indicated as:
"6.2.10.4. Chaplains may wear embroidered on ultramarine blue material or metal insignia
centered ½ inch above the visor on the front of the Blue Field Cap."

(BDU verbiage is correct)

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 27, 2014, 04:13:23 AM
Oh, and no more white socks with BDUs/combat boots?  Who's gonna see them anyway?

All those staff NCOs!

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 27, 2014, 01:28:22 PM
They haven't made it optional, it's intended to be gone by 1 Jan 2017.  They're just giving us a fairly generous phase out period.

To be fair, the verbiage is literally "Optional for wear until that date."

It speaks volumes that it NHQ thinks it should take 3-1/2 years for the members to get the word and use a stitch ripper.
Seriously, we still have people showing up with wing patches on blues, sometimes the same people more then once.

Mine would be gone the next time I was near my CAP closet, except that removing it will probably leave a mark
because I always affix my patches with the iron-on backing to make them easier to sew.

Hopefully I have something else I can wear in its place, if only so I can have the entertainment of the
conversations from people challenging my patriotism base on whether I've got a backwards flag on my shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on June 27, 2014, 07:24:08 AM
I would like to note that at this year's PAWG wing conference, I saw a grand total of one person wearing the "Corporate Semi-Formal Dress." 

One.

Take that as you will.
Your point?  Because, I take that as I will as nothing....next!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 27, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
Quote from: DoubleSecret on June 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
So you have to be current to wear the CPR patch (see 10.7.23), but former emergency medical technicians can wear the EMT badge (see 10.4.7). 

*facepalm*

That's...yeah.

Why do we even allow medical badges on our field uniforms?  We have pages and pages of regulations stating that CAP is not a first response, primary care agency, but we encourage members to identify themselves as first responders by the badges we let them wear on the uniform.  I just don't get it.
Re-read those.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tribalelder

Stocking cap now legit +

Boots not req'd w BBDU or golf shirt ++

No cut outs on BDU or BBDU field jacket epaulets +++
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Panache on June 27, 2014, 04:54:18 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on June 27, 2014, 04:52:17 AM
Quote from: Panache on June 27, 2014, 04:47:52 AM
We will see.  I am conducting my own personal experiment.  Let's see what happens first:

a) Nobody says anything to challenge me.
b) Somebody challenges me, but drops it when I refuse the weigh in.
c) I get 2B'd.
d) I get challenged and I drag it out long enough until my CAP membership expires.

Either way, it's going to be interesting.

So play tit for tat and compromise your integrity to stick it to the man?

I view it more as standing up for what I believe is right.

Actually, it's not. I feel your pain, but two wrongs don't make a right. You've been doing the right thing; they have not. By doing what you know is wrong, you're not "standing up", but lowering yourself to the same level. I hope you reconsider your approach.

TexasCadet

Quote from: Pulsar on June 27, 2014, 01:06:07 PMWhy did the change the insignia requirements for a C/AB? Why are they now not allowed to wear the cap cutouts?[/cut]

Maybe it's because Airmen Basics in the Air Force don't wear any insignia. Just my $0.02.

As for me, I prefer the brown t-shirts - at least I get to wear them a while longer.   Apparently we all need to move our grade insignias on the BDU caps..   The diagram shows them centered above the seam.  Oh, and no more white socks with BDUs/combat boots?  Who's gonna see them anyway?     >:(
[/cut]

All I have is white socks for my BDUs, but now I have to spend more money (oh joy). What is the point of these seemingly arbitrary changes?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Oh, and no more white socks with BDUs/combat boots?  Who's gonna see them anyway?     >:(

No one if you tuck your trousers in your boots. The white socks could show for many of us who blouse them over the boots.

The really interesting part is that while they clarified what SMWOG Adult members without grade wear for insignia on blues and grey/whites (no-insignia CAP slides), they never say which flight cap they wear or which device goes on it - it only covers Officers and NCOs.

Not correct.

Quote from: New CAPM 39-1, Para. 1.4
Adults without Grade. Adult individuals without grade will wear the dress uniform for the grade structure they are pursuing: officer or non-commissioned officer (NCO). Unit commanders will monitor new individuals to ensure they comply with the requirements of this paragraph.

Those adults without grade seeking to be officers wear the officer flight cap and those seeking to be NCO the enlisted one. The cap device is the same for both.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 27, 2014, 03:00:44 PM
Actually, it's not. I feel your pain, but two wrongs don't make a right. You've been doing the right thing; they have not. By doing what you know is wrong, you're not "standing up", but lowering yourself to the same level. I hope you reconsider your approach.

Heck, want to have some real fun and maybe make a real difference?

Start filing formal complaints regarding the commanders' in question "dereliction of duty".  If things are
as bad as you say they are (likely), photos from any meetings or other random even would be enough
to substantiate the complaint - how could any IG ignore it?

The regs are clear, the responsibility is clear, and there's the photos. There's no "fat boy" program in
CAP so you're either "good or not".

Show a photo at 0900 of a person out of spec and another at 1130 at the same activity and the complaint
is sustainable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garp

Be surprised if the IG looked at it; they will probably punt right back to the chain of command. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: lordmonar on June 27, 2014, 02:52:31 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on June 27, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
So you have to be current to wear the CPR patch (see 10.7.23), but former emergency medical technicians can wear the EMT badge (see 10.4.7). 

*facepalm*

That's...yeah.

Why do we even allow medical badges on our field uniforms?  We have pages and pages of regulations stating that CAP is not a first response, primary care agency, but we encourage members to identify themselves as first responders by the badges we let them wear on the uniform.  I just don't get it.
Re-read those.

I did; what's your point?

I get the irony that exists between the two examples, but that's just a minor annoyance.  My beef is that NHQ goes out of its way to remind us that CAP is not a medical provider, so there's no organizational need to advertise those skills on our uniforms at all, current or not.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Storm Chaser

*facepalm*

That's because the CPR patch is akin the Emergency Services patch; you have to be current and qualified to wear it. And the EMT badge is akin the Ground Team badge; it's a permanent award that can continued to be worn once earned.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 27, 2014, 04:02:37 PM
That's because the CPR patch is akin the Emergency Services patch; you have to be current and qualified to wear it.

Agreed - it's just another permanently awarded badge.

For the CPR patch, you have to be super-hero excited about advertising something not required in CAP and that most people do as a matter of course.

"That Others May Zoom"

DoubleSecret

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 27, 2014, 04:02:37 PM

*facepalm*

That's because the CPR patch is akin the Emergency Services patch; you have to be current and qualified to wear it. And the EMT badge is akin the Ground Team badge; it's a permanent award that can continued to be worn once earned.

It's great until a situation arises, someone sees that badge on a long-uncertified member wearing the corporate field uniform, and expects EMT/paramedic response.  Potential PR nightmare for CAP, along these lines.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/charges-dropped-emt-called-911-pregnant-woman-died-article-1.1381913

Salty

As a former NREMT-B in the USAF there is no way in the world I'd wear an EMT badge without being current.  I wouldn't wear my AFSC medic badge on my blues either without being current.

In fact, when I was in the USAF we were actively DISCOURAGED from putting stars of life or any other identifying EMS marks on our personal vehicles.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Archer

Quote from: Salty on June 27, 2014, 04:55:36 PM
In fact, when I was in the USAF we were actively DISCOURAGED from putting stars of life or any other identifying EMS marks on our personal vehicles.

Why?

Salty

From what I remember there was an issue with not being covered under the Good Samaritan Law since we were trained medical personnel.  Not having identifying markers on our vehicles also stopped us from being obligated to stop and help at an accident scene.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

JoeTomasone

Quote from: gshayd on June 27, 2014, 07:15:25 AM

The really interesting part is that while they clarified what SMWOG Adult members without grade wear for insignia on blues and grey/whites (no-insignia CAP slides), they never say which flight cap they wear or which device goes on it - it only covers Officers and NCOs.

It said if you are SM with no grade yet choosing to go the officer route you wear the Officer Flight Cap in addition to wearing the Officer Service Coat with braid ....If you choose to go to the Darkside and be an NCO then its the flight cap with the blue braid and Enlisted Service Coat until you get your prior grade back.

Cite, please.  :)

Storm Chaser