Emergency Service patch

Started by FO Ford, August 23, 2009, 07:59:44 PM

FO Ford

Does anyone know if we have to wear the Emergency Service patch on the BDU, if you are Ground Team and wear the badge on the BDU, or is it optional?
FO John E. Ford, CAP
Squadron Activities Officer
Polk Composite Squadron, FLWG

Hawk200

There is really no "have to wear" on the BDU, other than name, CAP, rank, and flag. Everything else is pretty much optional.

The ES patch is kinda superfluous if you're wearing a GT badge. The eligibility to wear the patch is "Current and qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions as a general emergency services member with one additional specialty qualification." Ground team meets that criteria.

I have a couple sets of BDUs that only have the bare minimum.

Airrace

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2009, 08:14:52 PM
There is really no "have to wear" on the BDU, other than name, CAP, rank, and flag. Everything else is pretty much optional.

The ES patch is kinda superfluous if you're wearing a GT badge. The eligibility to wear the patch is "Current and qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions as a general emergency services member with one additional specialty qualification." Ground team meets that criteria.

I wear my emergency service patch on my flight suit.

I have a couple sets of BDUs that only have the bare minimum.

Hawk200

Quote from: Airrace on August 24, 2009, 12:30:52 AMI wear my emergency service patch on my flight suit.

Permissable, but not relevant to the original post.

DrDave

Where is this from?  Which regulation?

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Eclipse

[opinion]
The Sardog and aircraft ES patches are generally worn by newer members who want shiny things on their uniforms.
[/opinion]
I, most of my staff, and those I work with on a regular basis, shed the extra bling several years ago when the wing patches were made optional.  I don't even have a unit patch on most of my field uniforms, and I'm the "unit insignia guy".   I just like the cleaner look of tapes and specialty.

I'd say in my AOR its more unusual to see one these days than not.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Eclipse

Assuming the Commander's badge is ever approved, they will need to reconsider the SARDog's placement
anyway, and I'm hoping that its simply fades into the past...

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I don't think so.  It's a great way to get less people to wear it. 

DC

Quote from: DrDave on August 24, 2009, 09:19:58 PM

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
CAPR 35-6

CadetProgramGuy

a while ago when I used to be a regular visitor to the State EOC, I was approached and politly asked (by CAP members) to ditch the bling from my uniform.  There was a need to look "normal" to our hosts, as opposed to a walking x-mas tree.

Airrace

Quote from: DC on August 24, 2009, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: DrDave on August 24, 2009, 09:19:58 PM

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
CAPR 35-6

Here is the link in case you need to find more information.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/u_082203095100.pdf

Gunner C

I made a quick trip to the 39-1 . . . didn't see anything about the backwards flag.  it was in a an ICL dated 25 Jan 2008, which has since expired.  Name tape, CAP tape, and rank insignia are pretty much it.  Wearing Goofy is definitely optional.

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 25, 2009, 06:24:47 AM
a while ago when I used to be a regular visitor to the State EOC, I was approached and politly asked (by CAP members) to ditch the bling from my uniform.  There was a need to look "normal" to our hosts, as opposed to a walking x-mas tree.

Another good point.  I noticed the other day in a training film from the early 00's that the USAF had just as many patches, actually more, on their BDU's as we do - the major difference was they were subdued.

There's a few departments out there that are patch-happy, especially rescue squads and EMA's, but most generally have pretty "quiet" tactical uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on August 25, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

I made a quick trip to the 39-1 . . . didn't see anything about the backwards flag.  it was in a an ICL dated 25 Jan 2008, which has since expired.  Name tape, CAP tape, and rank insignia are pretty much it.  Wearing Goofy is definitely optional.

Which is where the membership got left holding the bag. If all those authorized uniform items had been written into a supplement to the manual, this wouldn't have been an issue.

The flag isn't "backwards", it's a right hand flag. It still faces forward when worn. It would have been wiser to use a left hand one, and wear it on the left. It would be nice if the National Board cleaned up some of the things that HWSRN brought in.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2009, 02:38:26 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 25, 2009, 06:24:47 AM

Another good point.  I noticed the other day in a training film from the early 00's that the USAF had just as many patches, actually more, on their BDU's as we do - the major difference was they were subdued.

There's a few departments out there that are patch-happy, especially rescue squads and EMA's, but most generally have pretty "quiet" tactical uniforms.

I think that this is a place we could clean up our uniforms a bit, and go with "semi subdued" rather than vivid. The items would be brighter than subdued, just not as bright as what we have now.

FO Ford

Thanks all for your help, especially Hawk, it cleared things up for me. I just bought new uniforms and was thinking to myself that there is realy no need for the ES patch when the Ground Team badge is on the BDU, and being the cheap scape that I am  ::), I  really didn't feel like paying the extra $ 1.85 per patch, and then another $3 per patch to get each one sewed on  :P. So once again thanks   ;D
FO John E. Ford, CAP
Squadron Activities Officer
Polk Composite Squadron, FLWG

Hawk200

Quote from: FO Ford on August 27, 2009, 02:07:33 AM
Thanks all for your help, especially Hawk, it cleared things up for me. I just bought new uniforms and was thinking to myself that there is realy no need for the ES patch when the Ground Team badge is on the BDU, and being the cheap scape that I am  ::), I  really didn't feel like paying the extra $ 1.85 per patch, and then another $3 per patch to get each one sewed on  :P. So once again thanks   ;D

If you want to save money, sew them on yourself. You know what stitching looks like, just duplicate it. I won't kid you, it will take time. However, if you take the time, you can save yourself a lot of money.

Back in tech school, I took a couple uniforms to the cleaners to have them done. It cost me a lot more than I expected, and I refused to pay anyone to do it again. I've gotten to the point that people swear I did it on a machine, and sometimes don't even believe me when I show them the back of shirt.

But, I must reiterate, you have to take your time. It may take an hour per tape, and about half that for a flag or sewn collar insignia. That could still save you from 5 to 10 bucks per uniform.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 27, 2009, 03:30:08 AM
Quote from: FO Ford on August 27, 2009, 02:07:33 AM

If you want to save money, sew them on yourself. You know what stitching looks like, just duplicate it. I won't kid you, it will take time. However, if you take the time, you can save yourself a lot of money.

Back in tech school, I took a couple uniforms to the cleaners to have them done. It cost me a lot more than I expected, and I refused to pay anyone to do it again. I've gotten to the point that people swear I did it on a machine, and sometimes don't even believe me when I show them the back of shirt.

But, I must reiterate, you have to take your time. It may take an hour per tape, and about half that for a flag or sewn collar insignia. That could still save you from 5 to 10 bucks per uniform.

I use a machine and have become good at it. Now I can do an entire BDU blouses' worth of patches in a few minutes. Doesn't seem worth it to pay someone to do it anymore.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Fifinella on August 27, 2009, 05:20:41 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2009, 09:34:59 PM
DIE DOG PATCH, DIE!   :-X
+1!
What they said! 

I understand the desire for an ES patch or badge since not everyone does ES.  A professional looking alternative  might find a home on more BDU's, while avoiding the "walking Christmas tree" mentioned earlier. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."