Chewing gum in uniform?

Started by HGjunkie, October 06, 2010, 08:55:55 PM

HGjunkie

Considering this is a thread for any questions...

Can you chew gum in uniform? I don't while at say, meetings, but I do if i'm at a bivouac or doing some sort of training. I heard it from my old Sq. but never bothered to look it up. Sounds more like an urban legend.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Not, While in formation, chewing gum is not allowed. In uniform, so long as you are not talking to someone of a higher rank/grade, I wouldn't think it a problem there. I would however suggest you use common sense while in uniform, don't chew it while the public is able to see you, just because sometimes it looks rather unprofessional. Also, don't chew it anywhere someone might see it as disrespectful. 

HGjunkie

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I don't find it a problem during say, a bivouac when you're out in the woods or doing something active, but seems to be a general no-no during more formal settings.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 06, 2010, 09:06:53 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I don't find it a problem during say, a bivouac when you're out in the woods or doing something active, but seems to be a general no-no during more formal settings.

I don't know if I would do it during active training either... just seems to be a bit of a choking potential.

a2capt

So, if two of you are of equal rank/grade then chewing gum is allowed during a conversation. Otherwise, there is always someone higher, involved, be it initiating or replying. ..and even when "out in the woods", in uniform you're probably on some related activity and ..

easier not to bother.

SarDragon

Chewing gum = sucking your thumb by proxy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: SarDragon on October 06, 2010, 10:45:40 PM

I never thought of it that way ... I'll be revising my classroom policy on gum-chewing.  (I teach 6th grade; I allow gum chewing as long as they don't pop it or leave it stuck under a desktop.  Now I'm reconsidering that.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 06, 2010, 08:59:50 PM
Not, While in formation, chewing gum is not allowed. In uniform, so long as you are not talking to someone of a higher rank/grade, I wouldn't think it a problem there. I would however suggest you use common sense while in uniform, don't chew it while the public is able to see you, just because sometimes it looks rather unprofessional. Also, don't chew it anywhere someone might see it as disrespectful.

You got a reg cite for that?

DakRadz

According to knowledgebase, the regs do not specifically address this issue. They do, however, require you to maintain a professional appearance in uniform.

I also think that any CC (and likely C/CC) could prohibit gum in uniform for those under their command. But it would have to be their own action, not a "follow the regs" reasoning.

Eclipse

There was a time when chewing gum was considered somewhat rude and boorish.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2010, 05:35:33 PM

In my universe (read anywhere I am standing) it is a gum free zone.  I HATE GUM!!!!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RVT

During WW2 it was the characteristic of US troops that made the biggest impression.  German, Italian and even Russian troops always seem to bring it up in interviews conducted 60 years later - that American troops were always chewing gum.

DakRadz

Quote from: cap235629 on October 10, 2010, 05:40:58 PM

In my universe (read anywhere I am standing) it is a gum free zone.  I HATE GUM!!!!

I agree with you both. Plus, I stopped almost completely after a good friend figured out she had arthritis of the jaw- it was either caused in part or just extremely aggravated by chewing gum. Jaw makes a loud pop frequently.

Stonewall

I think it would be silly to say "no gum chewing in uniform" when we (the military as a whole) allows people to smoke in uniform.

Chewing gum in formation is a no-go.  But unless your squadron leadership has a specific rule on chewing gum in uniform, then it's up to you.  Personally, I don't think a CAP weekly meeting is the venue to be chewing because you're in sort of a tight space.  But driving to/from a meeting, out on an FTX, launching rockets or even flying, I say go for it.

Heck, I never run without gum in my mouth.  During every PT test in the past 19 years I've chewed a piece of gum, especially during the run.
Serving since 1987.

Daniel

Quote from: SarDragon on October 06, 2010, 10:45:40 PM

I actually suck on my gum when I chew it :)

more to the point, you can chew gum without bother others or looking unprofessional. Actually most of the time when I'm chewing gun people don't know
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

cap235629

chewing a gun is horrible for your health..... just sayin...    :D  :D  :D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cap235629 on October 11, 2010, 01:27:16 PM
chewing a gun is horrible for your health..... just sayin...    :D  :D  :D