Do you want to switch to ABU's?

Started by HGjunkie, June 17, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

Do you want CAP to switch over to the ABU's?

Yes
47 (42.7%)
No
35 (31.8%)
Maybe so
5 (4.5%)
Don't care
21 (19.1%)
Undecided
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: June 27, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

HGjunkie

It's your choice CAPTalkers. What will be your decision?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

No, and a moot point.

By the time we get there they won't be wearing them

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

DC

I think CAP should keep with tradition and continue to wear a variant of whatever the Air Force is currently wearing.

However, I would not be surprised if the military adopts another standard field uniform sometime in the next few years to replace all of the ACU/ABU/MCCUU/NWU nonsense. In that case, it would be foolish for CAP to adopt a uniform that will be phased out immediately.

Al Sayre

Don't care, but lean towards no.  Simply another expense,,,
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

I voted yes, but given the likely switch to something else, don't see any reason to hurry. 

manfredvonrichthofen

The USAF already has uncountable things for us to have that makes our uniform different from theirs. What would you think that the ultramarine blue name tapes look like on the ABU? Besides their is a huge push to get rid of the digital patterns all across the military already. Why do it to our uniform when it will be gone soon anyways? I know the ABU doesn't look very good anyway. I just think it would be a bad idea any way you go about it.

JoeTomasone

I'd be happy to ditch the black combat boots, but if USAF is going multi-cam, I'd rather hold of until their dust settles.

SarDragon

Don't care. Not a whit. I wear the BBDUs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

raivo

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 17, 2010, 03:52:41 AMWhat would you think that the ultramarine blue name tapes look like on the ABU?

Not much worse than they look on the BDUs.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

DakRadz

CAP has at least 20,000 people who need the same uniform- there are over 20,000 cadets, and even if you subtract the cadets who wear SM CAP-Corporate, the eligible SM for AF-style balance it out. So 20,000 people need one uniform which looks the same- even if we don't stay aligned with Ma Blue (which would admittedly be ideal, but perhaps not practical...)- can't we come up with a uniform that is CAP?
We can recycle the vast stores of ABUs, BDUs, something AF (no ACUs IMO), but I'm sure we can force VanWrap to sell us decently priced uniforms, if we decide what those uniforms will be....

biomed441

Like stated by others, yeah wouldn't mind switching to ABU's. Whatever the AF wears I guess... but again pointed out by others; how long are the ABU's going to be around, and by the time we get around to switching, will the AF even be in ABU's?

Multicam is the future? Maybe it is, maybe it's not. Maybe DoD will decide to surprise us with pink tu-tu's and fairy wands.

SarDragon

Dak, don't forget, we're not buying 20 thousand uniforms of the same size. Just averaging it out, 20K/6 sizes comes out to about 3400 uniforms per size, for a first time issue. I'm sure there is a disproportionate usage among the sizes, which will really skew any economy of scale figures. That's why we can get the stuff we are currently wearing so cheaply - they make a lot of every size. If we tried for a CAP unique utility uniform, the costs would go up significantly.

More here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2010, 05:52:10 AM
Dak, don't forget, we're not buying 20 thousand uniforms of the same size. Just averaging it out, 20K/6 sizes comes out to about 3400 uniforms per size, for a first time issue. I'm sure there is a disproportionate usage among the sizes, which will really skew any economy of scale figures. That's why we can get the stuff we are currently wearing so cheaply - they make a lot of every size. If we tried for a CAP unique utility uniform, the costs would go up significantly.

More here.
Okay, so I actually read some of that. Good bit really. Well, how much are the BBDUs? Rather, how much more are they compared to BDUs, woodland camo? I would say the woodland run 25-30 new. What are some BBDU figures for comparison?

Fly Boy

Quote from: Captainbob441 on June 17, 2010, 05:44:20 AM
Maybe DoD will decide to surprise us with pink tu-tu's and fairy wands.

Like so? >:D

I voted "undecided" BTW. I would like to switch but I know it will require me to part with my hard earned cash. :-\

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

DakRadz

Quote from: Fly Boy on June 17, 2010, 12:48:22 PM
Quote from: Captainbob441 on June 17, 2010, 05:44:20 AM
Maybe DoD will decide to surprise us with pink tu-tu's and fairy wands.

Like so? >:D

Completely inappropriate to suggest.

Why in the world do you think the DoD would authorize these for the average sailor/Marine/airman/soldier?? This is obviously not a case of forward thinking, or even considering what you're really suggesting.
Absolutely ridiculous idea...

As everyone in the CAP should know, the pink tutu and fairy wand uniforms is only authorized for certified Good Idea Fairies. All CAP Generals receive this certification as part of their training- all CAP Generals are authorized the Good Idea Fairy status and uniform, PITFAW (read, pitfall- PInkTutuFAiryWand). This status is generally non-redeemable and permanently afflicting.

Special waivers may be granted for certain Colonels, while many Captains and Lieutenants are deep-dipped for this promotion through the implantation of "good" ideas. Majors and Lt Cols are usually the most immune, or at least stopped before damage can be done.

Fly Boy

Quote from: DakRadz on June 17, 2010, 12:40:29 PM
Okay, so I actually read some of that. Good bit really. Well, how much are the BBDUs? Rather, how much more are they compared to BDUs, woodland camo? I would say the woodland run 25-30 new. What are some BBDU figures for comparison?

For the BBDU On Vanguard, (Blouse and Pants) around $60 for both, assuming you're not super small or super large. Its about the same for the BDUs

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

DakRadz

Quote from: Fly Boy on June 17, 2010, 01:00:11 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on June 17, 2010, 12:40:29 PM

For the BBDU On Vanguard, (Blouse and Pants) around $60 for both, assuming you're not super small or super large. Its about the same for the BDUs

Hmmm... Do I smell a CAP-distinctive uniform? But then, if we drift from field uniforms of the USAF, then might we lose the dress versions as well? Now that wouldn't be any fun.

Fly Boy

Quote from: DakRadz on June 17, 2010, 01:08:11 PM
Hmmm... Do I smell a CAP-distinctive uniform? But then, if we drift from field uniforms of the USAF, then might we lose the dress versions as well? Now that wouldn't be any fun.
If so it would be with the Aviator Shirt. Looking at Vangaurd, the Aviator is priced signifigantly lower then the AF Blue. But at the Hock, It's the other way around. :o

I don't want to switch to any CAP distinctive uniform myself, (1) we are the USAF Aux, (2) I'm proud to wear the uniform that service members who fought for our country wore, and (3)I think they look good if the person wearing it actually cares.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169