Cadet Commader course

Started by currey, August 17, 2019, 09:14:48 PM

currey

Has anyone attended/hosted a Cadet Commander course? I am looking into having one and wanted some feedback/suggestions on topics or seminars to include.

Fester

Never seen one offered.  If you manage to have one, I'd like to see the curriculum once it is finished.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CadetFriesen

California Wing has (or had) a weekend long cadet commanders course. I have a copy of the original syllabus, unsure if it had been updated since we wrote it back in 2010.
1st Lt, USAF

Fester

Quote from: CadetFriesen on August 18, 2019, 09:21:16 PM
California Wing has (or had) a weekend long cadet commanders course. I have a copy of the original syllabus, unsure if it had been updated since we wrote it back in 2010.

Mind sharing it?  Send me a PM and I'll get you an email address.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

There was gonna be one in Gp 5 a couple of years ago and I was working on rewriting alot of the material as it was dated.

currey

If you don't mind sharing that. That would be great. Their website says it under costruction. I have emailed them asking but haven't received a reply yet. Anything you can share would be great.
Curreys@yahoo.com

PHall

Quote from: currey on August 19, 2019, 01:10:44 AM

If you don't mind sharing that. That would be great. Their website says it under costruction. I have emailed them asking but haven't received a reply yet. Anything you can share would be great.
Curreys@yahoo.com

All of the California Wing Cadet Programs manuals have been withdrawn and are no longer available.
They're being converted to pamphlets and will be rerelreased once they are checked and approved.
This could take awhile as we're still prepping for our upcoming UI and conducting things like encampment and such.

TheSkyHornet

Before swiping others' ideas, I'm curious as to what your intent of the course is.

It's best to know what outcome you want before you start planning to accomplish it.

So....? Care to share?

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 19, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
Before sniping others' ideas, I'm curious as to what your intent of the course is.

It's best to know what outcome you want before you start planning to accomplish it.

So....? Care to share?

+1 Also what the expectation is regarding when / how this can be done as a weeklong course, which presumably would be
as expensive as an encampment but for a very small group, and at what level this would be executed.

Something that purports to standardize training for C/CC's really should be a wing or higher initiative, otherwise it's just
one unit's opinion of what should be trained and required and that can cause as many problems as it solves.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2019, 01:41:06 PM
how this can be done as a weeklong course

QuoteCalifornia Wing has (or had) a weekend long cadet commanders course

Weekend, not week.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

CAWG has a well structured ILP(Integrated Leadership Program).  I've staffed a few and they are well worth a weekend. 

currey

My intent for the course is standardized training for Cadet Commanders across the state.
The goals would be for future Cadet Commanders to understand the job and the duties before taking on the responsibility.
The course focuses on meeting planning, choosing and working with your staff, and working with difficult people. As time goes on we will adapt PA philosophy and require an ALC before taking on key staff positions.

The whole point of "swiping" someone else's idea is to not reinvent the wheel. If Wings have a established course that has proven to work why fumble though the first few years.  Best practices only work if you share them.

We just hosted a FFA and a GSAR with less than 20 cadets each. By using the base for food and lodging cost stay at a  minimal.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: currey on August 20, 2019, 01:56:23 AM
My intent for the course is standardized training for Cadet Commanders across the state.

Have you reached out to your Wing Director of Cadet Programs yet? What guidance have they offered?

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 02:40:18 PM
http://cawgcadets.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/BCS-Workbook-Feb-2015.pdf

http://cawgcadets.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/BCS-Program-Manual-May2015.pdf

Uh, those are the links to the Basic Cadet School Program Manual and workbook. He's asking about the Cadet Commander Course which is an entirely different school.
And those links are not even to the current materials.