Why does CAP have Maules, even though they aren't listed as in our fleet?

Started by jfkspotting, August 02, 2017, 08:10:40 PM

jfkspotting

I noticed particularly from other cadets in other wings, the Maule towing planes are still out there, but when it came to NHQ's report and cencus, they weren't included in the fleet count...

Does that mean Cap Mauele's still fly, but for 3rd party's that tow our gliders?

SarDragon

Where do you get the idea they aren't in the inventory? The FAA says we have five, and WMIRS says the same thing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jfkspotting

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2017, 05:35:14 AM
Where do you get the idea they aren't in the inventory? The FAA says we have five, and WMIRS says the same thing.

My squadron was shown this powerpoint presentation at one of our meetings; take a look at page 10, Sar.

https://www.slideshare.net/csread61/civil-air-patrol-introduction

NIN

Quote from: jfkspotting on August 03, 2017, 04:39:47 PM

My squadron was shown this powerpoint presentation at one of our meetings; take a look at page 10, Sar.

So, rando wing briefing slide deck doesn't show a plane and you're able to conclude that they're not "listed as in our fleet?"

They don't show L-23s or SGS 2-33s, but yet we have them in our fleet.

That slide deck is easily 5-7 years old, by the way.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

My data are less than 36 hours old, direct from FAA and CAP sources. How about yours?

From the front page of your link - Presentation on the Civil Air Patrol. Given by Lt. Col. Rick Moseley to the Rotary Club of Centreville (VA) on Sept. 7, 2010.

BTW, my name isn't Sar.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Offutteer

Okay, now take a look at slide 9 and then compare it to slide 10.  Slide 9 says that there are 550 aircraft and separates out the gliders.  Slide 10 doesn't show any gliders, but shows 4 aircraft that we primarily use and the # in the fleet.  Add those numbers together and you get 519. So, there would be 31 unaccounted for aircraft.  That's where your Maules are.

Eclipse

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to reconcile that presentation's math with reality.

1500 units?  Not since the late 90's, and there technically 60k on the books that year, but
if you tried to locate about a 5000 of them you'd be hard pressed to find anything but a canceled check.

Not to mention VSAF like that was ever going to be a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Castle Bravo

We only have 5? I thought there'd be more, I saw one when I went on my glider flights.

SarDragon

Quote from: Castle Bravo on August 04, 2017, 07:38:17 PM
We only have 5? I thought there'd be more, I saw one when I went on my glider flights.
We may have had more in the past, but the current inventory is 5. There are 2 in NER, and 3 in SER.

And, without further ado, we're done here. Any disagreements, PM me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret