Main Menu

Specialty rating

Started by huey, June 14, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

huey

Just finished the online Specialty test for Technician rating, now how can I get an approval for that? 
Already assigned with that track a few months ago.

Eclipse

Quote from: huey on June 14, 2018, 08:44:03 PM
Just finished the online Specialty test for Technician rating, now how can I get an approval for that? 

Assuming you passed, the credit for the test shows up in your training tab immediately, however there is
a lot more to do then just the test, there is a pamphlet for each rating which details the service and knowledge requirements
for each rating and each level within a respective rating.

D/L the pamphlet, find the checklist, substantiate what you did and give it to your PDO who will then
review it and submit it to the CC for approval via eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

vorteks

Quote from: huey on June 14, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

Sounds like youve only just scratched the surface. Find the track study guide for your specialty and read the technication rating checklist.

huey

Specialty Track 217 - Safety, Master Rating Quiz, Passed.

This note on my LMS (Course/Quiz Name) was not affected on MyQual as well?!?!
Just learning, taking the quiz/ test/ exam...then nothing happened after that at all.....
Why, How?

Eclipse

Why are you taking the Master quiz for the tech rating.  I believe the fixed the
logic a while back and you can't get credit for a rating higher then you are due.

Look in the Training Tab of your personnel record to see if credit posted, though
even if it did, you took the wrong test.

"That Others May Zoom"

huey

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2018, 09:14:20 PM
Why are you taking the Master quiz for the tech rating.  I believe the fixed the
logic a while back and you can't get credit for a rating higher then you are due.

Look in the Training Tab of your personnel record to see if credit posted, though

I got these quiz Tech, Sr, Master on Safety track years ago, but rating level on Safety still "None"
Just passed the Finance track test for Tech yesterday.

Eclipse

OK - honestly, I have no idea what you're asking.

But the process works as we indicated - substantiate the checklist from the pamphlet, pass the
test, quiz, whatever, PDO submits all work and TIG through eServices.

If you don't have passed quizzes, tests, whatever showing in the Training tab in your personnel
file, yo either didn't pass, or something broke.

The LMS shows all sorts of stuff not related to PD, and who knows what else.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: huey on June 14, 2018, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2018, 09:14:20 PM

I got these quiz Tech, Sr, Master on Safety track years ago, but rating level on Safety still "None"
Just passed the Finance track test for Tech yesterday.

As noted above, you need to chose a specialty that you want to train in, download the corresponding pamphlet (200 or 40 series), and accomplish the items on the Technician checklist. Any online tests are merely supplementary to the knowledge gained from reading the study materials, and working with a mentor. They are in no way a sole criterion for completion of the rating.
[ETA] I have taken, and passed, on a whim, several of the online tests for various specialty tracks. Am I qualified to perform in any of those positions? Not a chance. It just means that I have been in CAP long enough to have gained a significant amount of basic knowledge in these areas. As a comparison, knowing the rules for chess does not automatically make someone a good chess player.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

huey

Thanks SarDragon and Eclipse, now it's all clear how it works!!  Lot of works need to be done before getting rating!

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on June 14, 2018, 09:38:44 PM

... and working with a mentor.

Seems to be one of the biggest problems CAP has, in my short lived experience here.

I think a big part of our retention issues would be solved, if each new face walking in the door actually had a friendly, interested, mentor who would help guide them step by step through at least the stuff needed for the first year. I had an absentee PDO, and no mentor. Had to search out all this stuff myself, until I finally got to know a few folks well enough, to where I could ask them questions without feeling dumb.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on June 15, 2018, 12:07:09 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 14, 2018, 09:38:44 PM

... and working with a mentor.

Seems to be one of the biggest problems CAP has, in my short lived experience here.

I think a big part of our retention issues would be solved, if each new face walking in the door actually had a friendly, interested, mentor who would help guide them step by step through at least the stuff needed for the first year. I had an absentee PDO, and no mentor. Had to search out all this stuff myself, until I finally got to know a few folks well enough, to where I could ask them questions without feeling dumb.

You have a mentor, aka your squadron commander. They're the one who approves all of your speciality rating stuff and they're the one who needs you to fill a slot in the unit.

Eclipse

Unit CC's are required to sign off that they have assigned a mentor to every new adult member.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: PHall on June 15, 2018, 12:58:52 AM

You have a mentor, aka your squadron commander.

Ummm. No, not online.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on June 15, 2018, 02:31:10 AM

Ummm. No, not online.

When you complete an online specialty track test it does show up on the Commanders Dashboard.
What they do with that information is up to them.

MacGruff

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2018, 01:11:33 AM
Unit CC's are required to sign off that they have assigned a mentor to every new adult member.

Um... Eclipse... that statement you made? Quoted above? I do not believe it's true. At least, I've never seen any evidence of that requirement...

Of course, I've not had the pleasure of being a squadron commander either.

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on June 15, 2018, 08:54:18 PM

Um... Eclipse... that statement you made? Quoted above? I do not believe it's true. At least, I've never seen any evidence of that requirement...

CAPF 12 (Member Application), backside:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/F012_Fillable_Mar_17_052D10F8D1B5D.pdf

CC must sign and certify a mentor has been assigned.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Wow!

I stand corrected.

Thanks,

etodd

Quote from: etodd on June 15, 2018, 02:31:10 AM

Ummm. No.

Doesn't seem to happen. Have never heard the CC ask if anyone would like to be a mentor when new folks come in, so he could assign them.

I was determined and figured out most everything on my own, but have full sympathy for those who get frustrated. I always give new folks my email and cell and tell them to ask away. Not listed as an "official mentor", but I try to help others since I know what its like.

(Edited to add I was told we have PDO, but he is absentee. Haven't seen him in 2 1/2 years. At last years Wing Conference, he received an award for being a great PDO.   SMH.    Yet another reason I don't go to award banquets.)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2018, 09:06:57 PM
Quote from: MacGruff on June 15, 2018, 08:54:18 PM

CAPF 12 (Member Application), backside:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/F012_Fillable_Mar_17_052D10F8D1B5D.pdf

CC must sign and certify a mentor has been assigned.

I haven't taken the course yet, but this post should be a mandatory slide in the UCC.

Brad

It's also required that all staff members have a rating in, or are on track to obtain a rating within 6 months, for the position they are staffing. Otherwise it's an Area of Concern on the commander's worksheet, aka the E1 tab, on the SUI. I've had to ding squadrons on that a couple of times.

QuoteVerify that the staffing has a rating or is enrolled to obtain a rating within 6 months of assignment if no then it should be an AOC in the E-1 Commander tab.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/Quality_Assurance_Checklist_SUI_201_B831E09C6ED63.pdf
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN