Main Menu

50 year membership

Started by flyguync, February 16, 2009, 09:54:21 PM

flyguync

Does anyone have a template or sample of the letter that is required to request the 50 year membership package? Ive been going back and forth for the last few years and the black hole in the CAP universe known as wing has yet to do anything. Any help would be helpful.

Pylon

Quote from: flyguync on February 16, 2009, 09:54:21 PM
Does anyone have a template or sample of the letter that is required to request the 50 year membership package? Ive been going back and forth for the last few years and the black hole in the CAP universe known as wing has yet to do anything. Any help would be helpful.

I would send a CAPR 10-1 style memorandum noting that you're requesting the 50-year recognition for a member (and his or her details), the qualifying dates of service and who they should contact with questions.

CAPR 10-1, Paragraph 6, d. sets regulatory suspense dates for correspondence.  The regs state that in no case will any official correspondence go unanswered for more than 2 weeks.  Send it up the chain of command and follow up.  When it gets to group, be sure to call after week 1 (and if need be again at week 2). 

If the responsible person at Group HQ says they forwarded it to wing, ask the details: to whose attention, on what date, by what class/form of mail.  Then begin the timeclock for Wing.  Call after week 1 and ask the Director of Personnel for a status update.  If no avail, call back at the end of the two weeks.  Remind them of their regulatory obligation.  If after two weeks you've received no sufficient response, talk to their boss (i/e: Wing Chief of Staff). 

It's unfortunate we have to be this way, but the truth is that there are many, many people in CAP simply occupying space in duty assignments; they do nothing more than keep breathing and keep their name on the PA-1.    And even when you're the upstanding, diligent type higher headquarters still regularly fails to keep up even the simplest pieces of their duties.  Despite about 6 follow-ups on my part (and several follow-ups from Group HQ), I had two NCSA applications that never made it out of Wing Headquarters last year; and a Hawk Mtn application that had to be submitted three times over several months only to finally get the necessary signature months later (after the app deadline).  Those cadets applying for NCSAs missed out on their activities because Wing staffers couldn't be bothered to do their jobs.   

So while I feel your pain, be sure to at least try and use the few tools the units are given (particularly the suspense dates).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP