New CPP Codified - Updated 52-10

Started by Spaceman3750, April 17, 2014, 05:19:04 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2014, 07:53:07 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 19, 2014, 07:48:55 PM
True...but if they are Co-Ed...then they got to have Co-Ed supervision.

Their ability to self-select removes them from relevance in this context.

Allow a CAP Unit CC the same choice and this conversation is over.

But we don't have that option.   But the Venture Example is still releveant....as they are still able to recruit and train enough people to do their operations.

So I go back to my original statement.

Other then "it's just hard"........why can't we (CAP) recruit and train enough people to accomplish our mission?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 19, 2014, 08:18:58 PM
But we don't have that option.   But the Venture Example is still releveant....as they are still able to recruit and train enough people to do their operations.

No - you don't know that.   You made an assumption that Venture crews = CAP in regards to this issue, and they don't

They are able to staff their operations with the option of not having co-ed crew.

Different, irrelevant scenarios.

We aren't discussing "best practice", we're discussing the practical realities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

...why can't we (CAP) recruit and train enough people to accomplish our mission?

Lack of leadership.

Lack of command imperative.

Too many distractions from our core mission.

Too many people "empowered" to make noise, but not "required" to do their CAP jobs.

The fact of the matter is we can't do it now, and haven't been effective at retention for a couple of decades.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2014, 07:53:07 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 19, 2014, 07:48:55 PM
True...but if they are Co-Ed...then they got to have Co-Ed supervision.

Their ability to self-select removes them from relevance in this context.

Allow a CAP Unit CC the same choice and this conversation is over.

So I go back to my original statement.

Other then "it's just hard"........why can't we (CAP) recruit and train enough people to accomplish our mission?

Scouting is a family activity. CAP is a military auxiliary.

I have female senior members in my unit that cannot or will not attend overnight activities.

Forcing units to have coed supervision on overnight activities does not make cadets safer.

This is dumb, it should be changed. I will be having a conversation with my Wing Commander to bring it to the Region Commander.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Panache

If NHQ really thought this was a great super-dooper idea, why did they sneak it into the regs without any chance of input from the membership?

a2capt

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Panache on April 20, 2014, 04:37:17 AM
If NHQ really thought this was a great super-dooper idea, why did they sneak it into the regs without any chance of input from the membership?

Didn't everyone scream about this in the draft too?

NCRblues

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 20, 2014, 04:57:26 AM

Yes, this was a major point of contention when the draft was posted. I know I personally discussed this at length in my comments, as well as my wing/CC and region vice.

Obviously to no avail....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Panache

I stand corrected.  I didn't remember seeing that in the draft.

PHall

Quote from: Panache on April 20, 2014, 05:40:35 AM

It was there and it was discussed on this board and several others.    And National does not need any kind of input at all from the "membership" when they write regs.
It's nice when they ask for it, but it's not required.

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on April 20, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

It was there and it was discussed on this board and several others.    And National does not need any kind of input at all from the "membership" when they write regs.

Panache

Why do you say in one post that they sneaked the reg in without input from the field and in another reference the draft being posted? That was the time for input.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 20, 2014, 03:26:56 PMIt was there and it was discussed on this board and several others.    And National does not need any kind of input at all from the "membership" when they write regs. It's nice when they ask for it, but it's not required.

100% correct, however in cases like these, which require both the letter of compliance as well as the spirit of compliance,
you need the buy-in of the membership to actually achieve your goals.

In other words, complying with the letter on this is simple, however I doubt that canceling overnight activities or discouraging female
cadets from joining is NHQ's goal, and that is absolutely going to be the unintended consequence of this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Day

In the draft for review, co-ed leadership was not a requirement. It was encouraged, much as it has been. The August 2013 draft for review, http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/5216_with_CPP_C95D11A509576.pdf,  mandated that overnight activities without gender-balanced leadership would indicate so on the parental permission form. Same with round two, which can be found here: http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/CAPR_5210_Round_2_coordination_1865CE9A135F4.pdf

That approach made sense. Likewise, the two-deep rule in the drafts provided for some exceptions for short-duration activities, with accompanying risk mitigation procedures (limited duration, parental notification, open meetings, etc).

In short, the draft rules encouraged a best practice while providing mitigation in circumstances where the resources did not support the best practice - a well thought-out and balanced approach. The changes and rushed implementation have created unnecessary obstacles to effective implementation.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

SunDog

Quote from: PHall on April 20, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

They better understand they need input - they better start figuring that out real soon.

Ed Bos

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

davidsinn

Quote from: Ed Bos on April 20, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Easy guys... same team...

No not really.  NHQ is run by lawyers now. Lawyers are only on their own team. One of the reasons I left.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Day

Quote from: Ed Bos on April 20, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Easy guys... same team...

Caring about the team is a primary motive for seeking a rationale and executable CPP.

I actually suspect most of the NHQ CP staff worked hard on this. Overall, it's a good document and after reviewing the drafts I was looking forward to implementation. I've even had a couple of parent briefs.

I'm just puzzled and hurt by what seems to be "end-game" changes that don't make sense, negatively impact the team, and seem to have been rushed into effect - without explanation.

All it really needs is a little consideration for the realities of CAP life along with mitigation steps when the ideal can't be met. We are talking about a sentence or two allowing for parental approval and a plan submitted up echelon. That's a far cry from asking for anything unreasonable.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Panache

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 20, 2014, 04:24:57 PM
Panache

Why do you say in one post that they sneaked the reg in without input from the field and in another reference the draft being posted? That was the time for input.

In one post I said they sneaked in the reg without input, but I was corrected, in which I acknowledged my error and stated I didn't see that in the draft.

But as Lt. Col. Tim Day pointed out a couple of posts up, maybe I was correct initially when I observed it was not in the draft.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Lt Col Tim Day on April 20, 2014, 06:51:19 PM
That approach made sense. Likewise, the two-deep rule in the drafts provided for some exceptions for short-duration activities, with accompanying risk mitigation procedures (limited duration, parental notification, open meetings, etc).

To add to this, the exceptions to the two deep rule in the drafts allowed solo leadership during the regular weekly meetings.  I asked for clarification on this since that language is missing in the published requlation, and the answer was that the two deep rule applies to the regular weekly meetings, too.

IMHO, that's gonna break a lot of CAP.  Go out and recruit more SMs doesn't help when one of the two scheduled leaders has to miss a cadet meeting on short notice due to work or other unforseen circumstances.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy