Advertising Encampment

Started by jimmydeanno, March 18, 2009, 03:52:16 PM

IceNine

Quote from: Ned on March 19, 2009, 07:35:50 PM
whaddya think?

Ned Lee

I like it a lot.  I will likely bring this up to my unit commander's at my next meeting.

Especially in the world in which we live where cadets would rather stay out of the sun and play XBOX.

Establishing the appropriate mentality as and new members walk through the door is essential.  Whether that is requiring uniforms, holding members accountable for unexcused absences, or developing the opt-out vs opt-in requirement.

You've got my vote
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RedFox24

Back in the stone age when I was a cadet, while it was never said it was mandatory, it sure was implied that is was necessary for a cadet to go to a Type A in the first two years of membership.  Of course there were the Type B, but it didn't count toward the Mitchell Award and they were almost "warm ups" for the Type A.  The emphasis was always on the Type A. 

When I went on to be a Squadron and Group Commander, I gave cadets the same message of necessity as was given to me.  But my motives were slanted because I knew if I got my cadets to encampment, they were more likely to stay a member and not drop out. 

As Eclipse points out we run the two encampments plus a flight encampment here in Illinois.  The success of these encampments is largely due IMO to the fact that they 1.  are held the same time each year   2.  are well advertised via the net, message boards and word of mouth in the squadrons  3.  Many of the seniors who work these activities are also in some position of authority at the local squadron so they are sold to the local cadet on a regular basis and 4.  there is a continuity of command on the senior level which allows for a smooth flow of execution of the encampments. 

The most important things is when a cadet returns to the unit after an encampment that the encampment experience meets and exceeds their excitations and they see an opportunity to advance in the encampment structure.  So when next year rolls around, they sell the encampment in their own unit for the encampment commander because they want to return and bring someone with them. 

Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

Slim

Quote from: Nathan on March 26, 2009, 05:24:02 PM
Quote from: swamprat86 on March 19, 2009, 08:02:05 PM
I would be concerned with the verbage.  It makes it sound as if it is mandatory to attend and if they can not financially do it at that time, it may create unnecessary stress.

Well, it is mandatory to attend if the cadet actually intends to progress in the program. And progression in the cadet program IS mandatory, therefore, encampment is mandatory.

Not necessarily.  A cadet can be in the program for four years, progressing at the minimum (one achievement every six months) rate, without attending an encampment.  It's not mandatory until Mitchell time, which I think is wrong, but that's outside of my lane.  If it was within my lane, an encampment (or RCLS) would be required for each phase. 

Slim