2006 NYW Encampment - Forum for Senior Staff

Started by MajBarbBurns, March 12, 2006, 09:36:19 PM

MajBarbBurns

This is a discussion forum for seniors interested in staff positions at the 2006 New York Wing Encampment.  Information is also available at the official website: www.nywgcadets.org/enc2006
Maj Barbara Burns
New York Wing Encampment

Pylon

Well, I'll kick off the senior discussion with some suggestions for those who will become TAC officers, since I served as one last summer at the 2005 NYWG encampment.

CAPTalk had a good discussion from last summer about what a TAC officer should bring to encampment, besides the basics, entitled "The TAC Officer's Closet" which you can read here:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=252.0

A lot of handy suggestions and ideas were tossed around from those who have served in that capacity before; I'd recommend it to anybody who is considering being a TAC officer.  (also please feel free to add your own questions or suggestions from experience to that discussion as well).

...and of course, the obligatory welcome:)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pylon

Okay... question!

What's the per diem rate for Senior Member staff, if they can only attend part-time (e.g.: on the weekends from their job)?

I might be interested in assisting at encampment, but wouldn't be able to take additional vacation this year.

dwb

$15/day, $75 to attend the entire encampment.

Pylon

Is the main position/duty for part-time seniors going to be Senior Support Staff (SSS)?  I can't think of anything else that could be accomplished by a part-timer.

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2006, 08:23:36 PMIs the main position/duty for part-time seniors going to be Senior Support Staff (SSS)?  I can't think of anything else that could be accomplished by a part-timer.

Probably, though it depends on the part-timer.  You have TAC officer experience, so you may be called on as a relief TAC.  If you have subject matter expertise in a specific area of the training curriculum, you could offer to teach a class or two while you're there.

I'd venture to say most of the part-time senior staff will be under the SSS banner, but that is not a necessary condition.

mdickinson

Will there be cadet orientation flights at encampment this year?  In the past there have often been seniors who attended for just a few days to fly as orientation pilots.

MajBarbBurns

It hasn't been determined yet.  But it is not out of the question.  It will depend on our finances as we get closer to the dates. 
Maj Barbara Burns
New York Wing Encampment

afgeo4

Just dropped off my application in the mail yesterday.  I'm asking for a SSS slot for 27Jul06 to 30Jul06.  I renewed my CAP driver's license, so I'm thinking I may end up driving a whole bunch...  I guess I could assist the LOG section since I did that last year.
GEORGE LURYE

captrncap

Can someone confirm the times for the workshop next weekend? What time is the earliest a Senior many arrive on Friday? What time is departure on Sunday? What should we pack/bring – i.e. bedding, etc? What is the UOD? THANK YOU.

afgeo4

I don't know about the times, but do bring bedding, insect repellant and the UOD is BDU from what I understand.
GEORGE LURYE

dwb

captrncap,

You can arrive between 7:00-9:00pm on Friday, June 9th.  Try to get there by 9:00, since we get up early on Saturday and don't want people travelling too late.  We're still working on the schedule, but you can assume the dismissal will be around 10:00am on Sunday.

As for uniforms, you can show up in civilian clothes on Friday night.  On Saturday, we will be in blues all day (short-sleeve blues, no tie).  Senior members can wear the short-sleeve aviator shirt and grey slacks as well (or that new distinctive CAP/USAF mashup uniform).  Sunday will very likely be civilian clothes as well.

We will have cots available to us, so bring a sleeping bag and/or blankets, appropriate civilian clothing and sleeping attire, toiletries, bug repellant, a flashlight, and reasonable outer wear in case of inclement weather.

Bring a NYWF 17c (Word | PDF) and $15 payment fee if you haven't already submitted those to Maj Falco.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.  Hope to see you there! (you too, George)

Cheers,

captrncap

captrncap

When will the seniors without assignments listed on the website find out what they will be doing for encampment?

dwb

Very soon.  If not by this weekend's workshop, you'll find out at the workshop.

I just got an E-mail this morning with the senior staff assignments, but I'm not sure if they're the official, ready for publication assignments.  If you PM me with your name, I can tell you what position you've been assigned.

(although hopefully, you'll hear it from the encampment commander soon)

dwb

Update: please bring both Blues/Greys and BDU uniforms to the Staff Skills Weekend.

ChapBrock

Greetings!  Thanks for the info. 

I'm only coming on Saturday -- Should I be bringing both uniforms? 

Looking for a final word...Blues or BDU's?

Thanks,
Chap Brock

dwb

Blues/Greys Saturday morning, BDUs Saturday afternoon/evening, that's the final word.

Collins

Anything new on the Encampment front lines?
---Collins---

dwb

Quote from: Collins on June 26, 2006, 05:01:29 PMAnything new on the Encampment front lines?

No, it's been a quiet week.  :)

We're working on the training schedule, Cadet OI (including stan/eval direction), and some of the exec staff work.  It all appears to be coming together nicely, but I guess we'll find out at the encampment!

captrncap

What is the reporting time for staff on 20 Jul?

dwb

After 7:00pm.  We will not be serving any meals on Thursday, so don't arrive too early.  Like the workshops, we want people to arrive in the evening, but preferably before dark.  There isn't much planned for Thursday besides signing in and a little welcoming brief.

captrncap

dwb

NUOD :)

Show up in civilian clothes, it's easier to travel that way.