Cadet Officer School

Started by Cap'n, February 13, 2014, 04:45:32 AM

Cap'n

Hi everyone!

I applied for COS this year, and was checking my status on eServices. Everything is good on that front, and it's currently showing the "alternate" status per usual. I went to check my supplement, since I wanted to review the answers and make sure I have a copy saved on my new laptop. When I pulled it up under my application, it produced a blank copy (just the one you fill out on the COS page) with the document title being my CAPID (when I had originally attached it, it was under my name). Is this the same for everyone else? I want to confirm my paperwork is all in to ensure I'm still a candidate for COS.

Also, did anyone else apply for COS 2014?

LSThiker

I would contact NHQ to ask.  However, it sounds like there has been a problem.

Cap'n

Thank you! I contacted the HelpDesk, and they're having me resubmit my answers.

CAPklass

Is cadet officer school worth it? Im thinking of applying next year.

MIKE

You'd need either COS or RCLS for C/Lt Col.
Mike Johnston

Noble Six

COS is the premier cadet leadership school CAP has to offer for its cadets.  If you can get in go.  If not NER has a great RCLS program in the winter.  I went a few years ago and flew all the way from SWR.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

PA Guy

Quote from: CAPklass on March 26, 2014, 07:26:51 PM
Is cadet officer school worth it? Im thinking of applying next year.

It very much depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

COS is very much an academic experience. Students will have papers or speeches due almost every day. There is also an extensive reading list you are expected to have completed on arrival. Active participation is also expected. Students will also hear from some of the best instructors the Air University has to offer plus the OTS Project X. COS in many ways is similar to college.

If you want D&C, formations, group PT and that sort of thing COS might not be the experience you want.

Yes, it is possible to flunk out of COS

HGjunkie

COS was one of the best experiences I could have had in CAP, along with NFA - specifically because of the curriculum and intensity of the material. You'll learn wide ranges of topics from planning the Gulf War to creating a presentation on a leader in American Airpower, with up and coming technologies and great leadership insights sprinkled in. I'd encourage every C/Officer in CAP to attend it, if not for the credit then just the experience of having some of the Air Force's best leaders and educators teaching you how to be a better leader, planner, strategist, etc.

Plus you get to play volleyball every day and be a part of a flight which will probably become one of your closest families - two people in mine from last year got into the AFA, others got into VMI, so you know you're working with some top-notch people.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Phil Hirons, Jr.

COS was one of the most memorable parts of my cadet experience. (KC-135 ride with watching refueling is tied). When I went it was not all classroom. Project X was a blast.

Almost 30 years later I'm returning to Maxwell AFB for the senior equivalent, National Staff College.

Cap'n

Well, I got into COS! Super excited for this summer. Is anyone else going on here?

SilentPhantom

First, congrats. Second, is COS classified as an NCSA, or just a CAP activity? I'll be an officer in the not-so-far-off future and from what I've heard, COS is a worthwhile endeavour.
C/2dLt

PHall

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 12:21:18 AM
First, congrats. Second, is COS classified as an NCSA, or just a CAP activity? I'll be an officer in the not-so-far-off future and from what I've heard, COS is a worthwhile endeavour.

It's an NCSA.

SilentPhantom

Quote from: PHall on May 11, 2014, 12:22:24 AM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 11, 2014, 12:21:18 AM

It's an NCSA.

Ok, thank you.
C/2dLt