Are encampments mandatory, as in you have to go to them?

Started by Schultheis, March 27, 2013, 10:00:09 PM

Schultheis

If in a situation where a cadet cannot pay for encampment or isn't willing to go, would they be in trouble?

GTCommando

To answer the question in the topic subject, no, encampments are not mandatory for cadets. Successful completion of an encampment is required for the Billy Mitchell Award (and subsequent promotion to C/2d Lt), but aside from that, there is no requirement for a cadet to attend an encampment.

If you're asking if a cadet would be in trouble for registering for an encampment and not showing up, the answer is no. The cadet's squadron commander would likely attempt to find out why the cadet couldn't make it, but there is no "punishment" for having to pull out. It happens. A possible exception may be if the cadet's encampment fee was paid through some form of encampment scholarship, but that's the exception to the rule.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Eclipse

At the point where the cadet has been a C/CMSgt for a protracted period, he will be eligible for termination for "failure to progress".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 27, 2013, 10:24:19 PM
At the point where the cadet has been a C/CMSgt for a protracted period, he will be eligible for termination for "failure to progress".
Whether or not that termination is enacted depends on the squadron.

coudano

That said, C/CMSgt is not the ideal grade at which to attend your first encampment...

Your cadet who doesn't *WANT* to go to encampment should probably do some consideration about what they want out of CAP.  Cadets *SHOULD* go to encampment, imho, as early as possible.  Before earning the WBA if at all possible...

**Edit:  go to the first one, and do it ASAP.  Once you've done that, if you don't catch the bug and never want to go to another one, then fine...   But go to that first one at least (!)

The cadet who can't pay, there is probably a way to make it happen, if they are willing and able to try.

Schultheis

But you don't have to sign up for encampment, correct?

Sapper168

No you do not. Remember though, most National Cadet Special Activities require you to have completed at least one encampment.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

What is your specific issue with attending an encampment?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on March 28, 2013, 03:32:56 AM
What is your specific issue with attending an encampment?
Yes...I would like to know that too....as Eclipse pointed out.....if you don't have a good reason to avoid going to encampment then I would look very hard at whether you should be in CAP at all.

I guess more details would be welcome.

Why don't you want to go.....and why are you feeling presured that you "Must sigh up" to go?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Schultheis

Well, it's a medical reason that won't allow me to do overnight activities, I'd rather not talk about it, pretty embarrassing for me..

PA Guy

Quote from: Schultheis on March 28, 2013, 08:46:33 AM
Well, it's a medical reason that won't allow me to do overnight activities, I'd rather not talk about it, pretty embarrassing for me..

OK, now I remember from a prev. thread.  In that thread you were given some sound advice and options on how to approach your problem and allow you to attend encampment.

As previously mentioned completeing encampment is a requirement for the Mitchell Award. Encampment completeion is also a requirement for most NCSAs. So encampment credit is important to progress in the cadet program and receive the max. benefits. The bottom line is, NO you do not have to go to encampment however by not going  you will not receive the full benefits of the cadet prog.

As previously mentioned your medical problem is NOT insurmountable.  Don't make this a bigger problem than it has to be.  Take the advice in the previous thread and charge on.

The Infamous Meerkat

You can't go in to this thing thinking "They're all gonna laugh at me!". It does you no good and is simply not true. In boot for the Marines we had people wet their beds, pee themselves, and.... worse....  :o These were 18 year old (mostly) young men who did combat training, got literally screamed at, and PT'd to death everyday to become "trained killers", and wet themselves without any medical condition at all. This kind of stuff happens at encampments to cadets that don't have medical problems to cause it, and I have yet to hear of a cadet who was a victim of jokes and ridicule because of it.

It actually helps you, because you know it happens, why it happens, and can prepare yourself to counteract and prevent the situation, whereas the other cadets will be taken by surprise. Encampment is supposed to put you out of your comfort zone, and this seems to be doing it already. If someone makes fun (which I would be surprised by) I'd just look them in the eye with a straight face and tell 'em "I wouldn't laugh... You're next."   >:D

Just go for it, years will go by after you missed your chance and you will regret it every time someone brings it up, and it gets brought up frequently in CAP.

Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Slim

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on March 28, 2013, 02:18:50 PM
It actually helps you, because you know it happens, why it happens, and can prepare yourself to counteract and prevent the situation, whereas the other cadets will be taken by surprise. Encampment is supposed to put you out of your comfort zone, and this seems to be doing it already. If someone makes fun (which I would be surprised by) I'd just look them in the eye with a straight face and tell 'em "I wouldn't laugh... You're next."   >:D

Just go for it, years will go by after you missed your chance and you will regret it every time someone brings it up, and it gets brought up frequently in CAP.

^ This.

In all my years staffing and commanding encampments, there's always been at least one of these situations every year.  When they happen, they're handled very quietly and discretely by the staff.  Just be very up front with it when/if you fill out the application; there is a section on medical issues that might affect your ability to complete the activity, or to fully participate.  Just fill it out completely and honestly, maybe include a note or letter for your parent explaining your condition, and what accommodations your encampment needs to make to help you succeed.  Most encampments have a health services officer on staff (usually someone with a medical background, but not always), they should be advised of all health/medical issues and can advise your TAC officer (a senior member) so he knows to look out for you.  Also, talk with your doctor and find out any precautions you can take (like not drinking X hours before bed, going right before, etc) to help eliminate your problem.

I've seen cadets in wheelchairs, on crutches, deaf, etc, complete a basic encampment; they may have been limited in what they could do, but all were able to complete the activity.

In all my years, I've never seen a cadet who didn't regret going to encampment.  Maybe not while they were there, but at the end of the week, or a week later, when they realize how much fun they had.

Slim