Main Menu

APJOC & CROs

Started by groundops01, March 18, 2013, 01:56:25 AM

groundops01

I want to be a Pararescueman, but I have been thinking more long term and I thought about going to be an officer instead of going enlisted. I know that if you complete APJOC, you can "skip" Indoc for Pararescue. Is this true for a Combat Rescue Officer too?

Stonewall

There is no such thing as skipping PJ indoc.  It's simply just not true.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Was the person who told you this smiling at the time? Because they told you a real whopper! ::)

Stonewall

In fact, I had a cadet who graduated PJOC, and two different APJOC's and still didn't successfully make it through PJ indoc.

Awesome cadet, one of my top 10 in 26 years, but just didn't make it.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

I can offer just some general advice.  I have not been to PJOC/APJOC and I am not in the Air Force.  I'm just speaking as someone with some military experience who was also a CAP cadet.

I think having a goal to get into the pararescue community is great.  If that's something you're passionate about, you should definitely explore all your options and work hard to achieve that.  If you experience set-backs, continue working harder and don't give it up.

As for getting a "pass" on the test, I spoke to someone I know who is a SNCO in the PJ community.  He says if you pass the PT test at APJOC it can count for your PAST test for enlistment in the Air Force, but only if it's within a short window of time (like maybe within 3 or maybe 6 months of APJOC). 

That having been said, as a general piece of advice:  Don't look for the easy way out or to get a free pass on things.   Instead of looking at APJOC as a way to maybe get a free pass on something, look at it as a way to better familiarize yourself with the field you want to get into.  Take in as much knowledge as you can.  Use it solely as an experience to learn and better yourself.

As Stonewall has alluded to, the physical standards can be incredibly difficult if you want to go this route (and many other routes).  So your best option is to simply work out more, work out thoroughly, work out properly, and focus on being in overall top physical condition.  You can always keep improving. You can always get faster, stronger, perfect your form, and keep getting better.

As for CRO versus PJ: explore both fully.  If you can, talk to people who have done each.  Find someone who is or was a PJ as well as someone who is or was a CRO and find out more about the differences with each route, what experiences they had, what types of options or opportunities the two different paths will provide to you, and make a fully informed decision.  Don't make a decision on which route to pursue without a good understanding of both options.  Don't let someone (i/e: a recruiter) pressure you into one option or the other (or tell you one is better) without you having learned about both options from independent sources.  What I mean by independent sources is someone without an interest in getting you to sign up (i/e: not a recruiter or officer selection officer).

That's the generalized advice I can offer you.  I'd wish you luck in pursuing this, but I don't believe luck has very much to do with your success: hard work will be one of the main deciding factors.  Do work.  Actively pursue your goals with a passion.  And if you have time, keep us posted!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Heart vs. PT

I've only had two cadets attempt to become PJs that I know of.  One made it, the other did not.  Both were graduates of PJOC and the other a graduate of APJOC x 2.

Cadet 1 (the older one):  A heavier dude who stands 6' 4" and at the time he graduated high school weighed 300 lbs.  He joined the Army National Guard and did not make it through Infantry school because he could not pass the Army PT test.  Yes, he failed to complete training and was discharged.  That was 1999.  He continued in CAP as a senior member and helped me out A LOT.

Failure didn't beat him.  He made up his mind that he would be a PJ.  It took him 4 years, a few letters, and the determination that only a PJ could find.  He spent at least 2 years preparing.  Remember, he was a BIG DUDE.  He attended college classes, worked IT support at the college, and spent his spare time working out, with A LOT of time in the water.  He joined a 24 hour fitness gym and worked out twice a day.  He dropped 100 lbs and replaced fat with practical muscle.  "Practical muscle", you ask?  He didn't lay on the bench and throw up weights, he did functional fitness.  Running, rucking, swimming, climbing, crawling...basically CrossFit before it was called CrossFit.

In 2003 he was approved to enlist in the Air Force and try for PJ.  He started basic training in January 2004 and then off to Indoc.  He got recycled in INDOC at least 3 times that I know of.  Broke his nose, received a concussion, and struggled with pull-ups at one point.  They told him as long as he didn't quit or receive a permanent injury, he could stay.

In September 2006 (yes, 2 years and 8 months after starting) me, and three of his former fellow cadets made the trek to Kirtland AFB to see him graduate and don his beret.

Cadet 2 (the younger one):  A natural athlete, nothing could stop him...physically.  He was one of my favorite cadets of all times and is still a close friend.  I spent a few nights hanging with him in DC over Christmas (in fact, both of these former cadets and I met up together in DC over Christmas).  This kid was AWESOME!  I knew his parents personally and I take credit for helping to raise him.  He may even agree with me on this, too.  Anyway, he attended the FIRST NESA NGSAR at the Miller School in Virginia back in 1996.  He attended about 6 encampments, 15 NCSA's, and earned the Eaker.  He was an EMT before he graduated high school. 

To make this long story short(er), he joined the Air Guard as a fire fighter and later joined an Air Guard PJ unit.  They sent him off to Indoc, and for a reason I don't fully know (I think I know the story), he "tapped out".  I know it haunts him today, but I love the guy and respect him for trying.  He's still living his full-time dream as a professional fire fighter/EMT type, and has recently taken up an interest in the Air Force TACP program.  I think he's matured and learned, and has a [darn] good shot at making it.  Either way, I'll support him 100%.

Just a couple of stories I thought I'd share to demonstrate the differences between people who both wanted to be PJs.
Serving since 1987.