Cadet Officer School

Started by DakRadz, March 10, 2012, 12:21:03 AM

DakRadz

I have a few questions about COS, so seemed like a thread was needed.

First and foremost- how many cadets are usually selected to attend as Primaries? Just looking for the general activity size.

crisptheyounger

Typically, it's around 120 cadets. At least, it was as of 2009 when I went.
Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

DakRadz

Thanks!

Anyone with more recent experience, or just others from different years who want to weigh in?

addo1

When I went, there were 110 CAP cadets and 10 JROTC.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Nathan

Even if there were only 20 slots, you should still apply.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Arkbird

I went last year in 2011.  There were 120 cadets (all CAP cadets) and 10 Flights.
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

Shotgun

I attended as a Senior Staff Member is 2010.

There are 110 CAP Cadets and 10 JROTC cadets.  2010 was also the first year for and "advanced" course of study where there were an additional 10 returning cadets called "Falcon Flight". Each flight is assigned a CAP Officer and USAF Reservist who conduct the flight's learning activities.

It is not your typical NCSA. As all of the attendees are Cadet Officers they are given a bit more independence. There are no TAC officers to ride herd on the flights. Cadets are responsible for their own schedule and expected to be on arrive time with completed assignments.

Cadets are responsible for their own meal and are proved a "per diem" which they can use any way the wish. Most take advantage of the local DFAC. However, Pizza Parties are not unheard of especially when cadets get together for study groups. Some visit the shoppette for breakfast items.

Accommodations consist of your own room complete with a kitchenette, Study area, bathroom, and queen sized bed.
There are no inspections, but you are expected to keep your room tidy and bed made.
DO NOT ALLOW OTHER CADETS INTO YOUR ROOM! This is grounds for being sent home.

UOD is Blues. I invested in a second set and was glad I did.

You'll play volleyball every day. Pay VERY close attention to the rules and don't forget your kneepads.

The cadets who are selected to attend were some of the most impressive youth I've had the honor to work with. I was very impressed with the caliber of each cadet and was constantly surprised at the level of intelligence, professionalism, and dedication to learning exhibited. Take advantage of the relationships you build at this event. I'm guessing there will be several USAF Academy appointees, ROTC scholarship winners, and successful business and community leaves in your flight.

Be prepared to study!  You'll get a reading list ahead of time. READ THE MATERIAL!  Don't procrastinate on your homework and be ready to participate in the discussions.

You'll meet active duty Generals, retired war veterans, and high level CAP personnel. Listen to what they say and take advantage of there knowledge.

It's a great experience and I'm sure you'll take much away from the experience.

addo1

Quote from: Man Of Action on May 03, 2012, 11:38:48 AM
I attended as a Senior Staff Member is 2010.

There are 110 CAP Cadets and 10 JROTC cadets.  2010 was also the first year for and "advanced" course of study where there were an additional 10 returning cadets called "Falcon Flight". Each flight is assigned a CAP Officer and USAF Reservist who conduct the flight's learning activities.

It is not your typical NCSA. As all of the attendees are Cadet Officers they are given a bit more independence. There are no TAC officers to ride herd on the flights. Cadets are responsible for their own schedule and expected to be on arrive time with completed assignments.

Cadets are responsible for their own meal and are proved a "per diem" which they can use any way the wish. Most take advantage of the local DFAC. However, Pizza Parties are not unheard of especially when cadets get together for study groups. Some visit the shoppette for breakfast items.

Accommodations consist of your own room complete with a kitchenette, Study area, bathroom, and queen sized bed.
There are no inspections, but you are expected to keep your room tidy and bed made.
DO NOT ALLOW OTHER CADETS INTO YOUR ROOM! This is grounds for being sent home.

UOD is Blues. I invested in a second set and was glad I did.

You'll play volleyball every day. Pay VERY close attention to the rules and don't forget your kneepads.

The cadets who are selected to attend were some of the most impressive youth I've had the honor to work with. I was very impressed with the caliber of each cadet and was constantly surprised at the level of intelligence, professionalism, and dedication to learning exhibited. Take advantage of the relationships you build at this event. I'm guessing there will be several USAF Academy appointees, ROTC scholarship winners, and successful business and community leaves in your flight.

Be prepared to study!  You'll get a reading list ahead of time. READ THE MATERIAL!  Don't procrastinate on your homework and be ready to participate in the discussions.

You'll meet active duty Generals, retired war veterans, and high level CAP personnel. Listen to what they say and take advantage of there knowledge.

It's a great experience and I'm sure you'll take much away from the experience.

Ditto.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

PA Guy

Just to add a couple of thoughts to the above.  Come prepared to write, you will have almost daily written assignments plus readings.  If you have not done the reading it will show very quickly in seminar.  Be at the right place, at the right time in the right uniform and be prepared. COS is a very academic environment with no drill, formations, inspections etc.  Get stupid re: conduct/attitude and you will be sent home, yet it happens every yr.  ::)

Nathan

I wonder if someone should, say, write an article on this...

*cough*
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Nathan on May 04, 2012, 03:40:32 AM
I wonder if someone should, say, write an article on this...

*cough*
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Jamie Hurley

This post might only be helping the thread veer further away from what it was originally intended for, but I like to give this advice whenever applicable.

I went to COS in 2004. I was a fresh C/2dLt. I had been in the program for about two and a half years, and I was eager to be a cadet officer, but didn't really know what I was doing, or what I was supposed to be doing. I hoped that Cadet Officer School would be jammed full of curriculum applicable to being a good cadet officer in CAP. I was sorely disappointed when I found out the curriculum wasn't really geared to CAP cadet officers, and while they had great speakers giving great lectures, I really didn't learn much about being a cadet officer from the curriculum.  These are just my opinions, and some people seem to get really mad at me when I say that, but it is the truth in my experience.

BUT, Cadet Officer School was a very valuable training experience for based on what I learned through interacting with some of the best young cadet officers throughout CAP. I learned to be able to communicate with them, share ideas and thoughts, direct discussion, plan schedules, and even organize and lead cadet officers with much more experience than I did. There's nothing worse than giving a class to junior cadets, but fearing that the senior cadets in the back think you are a moron; and COS forced me to be in situations that allowed me to never doubt my ideas again.

I also learned a good hard lesson in real time management; preparing for classes, lectures, and discussions, skimming over required readings, preparing writing assignments, along with preparing uniforms for the next day, and even more basics like needing to feed myself, do laundry, shave and shower, getting rest, and even doing some sight seeing. At that point I was a 17 year old individual who had never been overly sheltered or coddled growing up. Feeding myself, doing laundry, and that sort of thing were nothing new, but needing to do all that in a tight schedule to be fully prepared for the next day was something new. It was a taste of college life, and after my room mate was sent home after being late to three classes in three days, I fully realized what was expected of me as a cadet officer.

COS taught me to be punctual, prepared, vocal, and sure of myself in situations where I need to direct, organize, or lead cadets who were more experienced than myself. It was a vital life experience for me, and I learned as much at COS than I ever did at any other CAP activity.  I write this post to anyone who is about to attend COS; form your own opinions on the curriculum. Some enjoy, and others like myself found it very disappointing. Regardless on your thoughts on what they teach you in class, make sure to turn on your brain and learn from every minute you are outside of the classroom.   
National Drill Team Champion 2006 & 2008
Spaatz 1644

addo1

^ @James Hurley.

I've heard that from multiple people who went around your time frame. My experience helped me learn a lot about being a cadet officer - even going as a knowledgeable cadet already. Now, I was told that the curriculum was revamped a few years back. Confirmation anyone?
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Ned

The curriculum is revised each year to keep current with USAF leadership doctrine and as key instructors become (un)available.

But the essence of the student experrience - getting the most current leadeership training that the Air University has to offer using the same instructors who teach USAF officers - remains unchanged since I went through as a student over 30 years ago.  And yes, students are treated as officers 24/7 and expected to be on time, in uniform, and fully prepared for each class.

COS is a Very Good Thiing for our cadet officers.

Ned Lee
COS Student 1974
COS Faculty 2004 to date