Main Menu

Iowa Wing CAP

Started by Pylon, September 01, 2006, 06:04:47 PM

Skyray

I really like your "corn field" scenario.  If you have the assets, a single line abreast across the entire field is what I would recommend.  Two foot, or every row, track spacing would take a bunch of people.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RogueLeader

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 31, 2007, 02:32:11 PM
Col. Ralph Tomlinson is approaching the end of his command.  Even though he was not "one of Tony's boys" he has survived his entire tour. 

The North Central Region CC has announced that applications are being taken for the position. 

From what you guys know of Iowa how will this affect our progress, and what should the region CC consider when selecting our new leader.

I think you or Cyclone would do a good job of it.  Both of you are well versed in the way IAWG works with the NG, as well as has good operational skills.  You might want the Admin/personnel Capt from 043 as Chief of Staff, he's very good with making the system work.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

isuhawkeye

cyclone and I are both very involved in work, and LtCol Critelli has not had enough time to get his law practice in order for him to devote to the position.

with that said.....

we have a number of staff who meet the requirments. 

what advise would you have for them as they go to apply

ZigZag911

Continue to build cohesion within the wing.

Enhance your cadet program.

Strengthen the bonds forges with the Guard & state government.

Remember to treat every cadet and officer the way you'd want to be treated yourself.

Watch your six!!! (especially when dealing with region & national!)

Skyray

Doug Johnson - Miami

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 02, 2007, 03:18:41 PM

My question is this:

What are the requirements to be Wing CC?  Between CAP requirements and IAWG specific requirements?

I have a short list of those who I think would be awesome in the role, another list that would be OK, and another list of those IF they get the slot, I am looking elsewhere.

Skyray

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 02, 2007, 05:17:29 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 02, 2007, 03:18:41 PM

My question is this:

What are the requirements to be Wing CC?  Between CAP requirements and IAWG specific requirements?

I have a short list of those who I think would be awesome in the role, another list that would be OK, and another list of those IF they get the slot, I am looking elsewhere.

If Bowling sends Pineda up there to "straighten out the Wing" you had better duck and run.  Sad experience from Florida.
Doug Johnson - Miami

isuhawkeye

Level III complete, and preferably a major. 

Unless I am mistaken those are the only requirements.  The states have no say, and th membership has little say. 

It all depends upon how the region CC sets up the selection board

Skyray

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 02, 2007, 06:22:50 PM

Unless I am mistaken those are the only requirements.  The states have no say, and th membership has little say. 

There has been over the years discussion of a requirement of a tour as a Safety Officer.  When I was being groomed, Bill Tallent informally told me to take a wing staff job to learn what was going on.  I became the Wing Safety Officer because of the imminence of this requirement.  Whatever happened to it?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPR 5-4, SECTION B – WING COMMANDER SELECTION PROCESS
3. These suggested guidelines are designed to assist region commanders in carrying out this responsibility in a timely, judicious manner and to standardize the selection process. The final decision concerning selection still rests with the region commander concerned. A suggested timeline is shown in figure 1.
4. Minimum qualifications for consideration as wing commander are:
a. Hold at least the CAP grade of major.
b. Completed Level IV of the Senior Member Training Program.
c. Three years command and staff experience at any level within a wing.
d. Budget and asset acquisition knowledge gained within or outside CAP.
e. Five years supervisory experience gained within or outside CAP.
f. Five years total CAP membership with no less than three continuous years of service prior to appointment.
g. Prior to appointment as wing commander, individual must complete a successful fingerprint rescreening.

Note, some of the emphasis is mine (bold).  At the end of the day, the Region CC is still free to appoint whomever he/she wants, pending board approval of the selectee.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

The states do have a say! I personally knew two Officers who were appointed to command New Hampshire Wing in NER who were rejected by the State because while they were or had been members of the Wing both had residences just over the State line. (I believe the state may have threatened to withhold apropriations).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

Unless I am mistaken those are the only requirements.  The states have no say, and the membership has little say. 

If that is the case, I have identifed 9 individuals that fit the criteria.  The other 29 Major or higher are non participants (inactive)

Of these 9, I support 2 fully, would tolerate 3, and reconsider my membership over the final 4.

ZigZag911

Unfortunately the criteria for wing CC appointment are only 'guidelines'...ultimately it comes down to whomever the region CC wants....Gen Pineda, I understand, took a very active role in filling wing CC slots....what Gen Courter will do in this regard remains to be seen.

We need a system with some built in checks and balances to ensure an objective, impartial selection based on what is best for CAP & the wing concerned.

There ought to be some sort of screening board consisting of former wing & region CCs, and some retired USAF officers & senior NCOs, identifying individuals who would be considered "qualified & eligible". Only CAP officers on such a list could apply for wing CC openings or be appointed as wing CC.

The criteria need to be more stringent than the current guidelines, in terms of CAP professional development, tenure of membership, and depth of experience.

isuhawkeye

we've talked a little about the people, and the way those people are selected. 

I would challenge you with the fact that this command change is not about people, but it is about ideas. 

The Iowa program is a departure from the norm within CAP.  We have shaken certain aspects of CAP from top to bottom. 

The Iowa Wing has rethought recruiting, new member training, operational support to our state, and a mission tasking model. 

This command change is not simply a the support or rejection of individuals.  This command change is support or rejection of a concept. 

CAP is in a transition.  Across the country we have an identity crisis.  we have hashed out those different identities many times in this forum.  The North  Central Region Commander, and our acting National Commander have a choice to make.  Will CAP define itself as a functional cadet program with an active response centered ES program, or will we continue to be lost. 

The appointment of the Iowa wing CC will send a clear message as to the future of our organisation. 

This will be general courtiers first appointment.  I look forward to seeing her vision for the future of CAP.

Skyray

Hawkeye:
QuoteThis will be general courtiers first appointment.  I look forward to seeing her vision for the future of CAP.

I beg to differ.  It is not her appointment.  Interference with the Region Commander's prerogatives is what caused Bowling to get Bergman relieved as National Commander and demoted to Colonel at the 1998 Summer Boards.  I am not supposed to know that, because it was all done in secret at a conclave similar to the old Star Chamber.  Board members at the time will recall what went down, and it is none of your business how I know.

Certainly, concurrence by the National Commander is a strong political concern.  I would hope that General Courter will concur or object on the basis of what is good for CAP.  From what I have seen of her actions thus far, her personal advancement has little to do with her decision making process, unlike some high level leaders we have had in the immediate past.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Pylon

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Can one single thread continue on this site without gratuitous and repeat diversions of the thread about Iowa Wing into General Pineda and other related conspiracy theories?

The mod staff will allow another discussion thread to be started again because the topic of Iowa Wing and its future warrants serious and professionally-minded discussion.  If you feel you have something of professional value related to Iowa Wing, feel free to create such a discussion topic.   In the meantime, think about how you can keep it from getting locked again.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP