Main Menu

New CAP Photo ID

Started by Pylon, February 21, 2005, 06:41:48 PM

Pylon

As some of you may have heard, there are rumors floating about from higher headquarters that CAP is currently working on a new photo Identification Card for CAP Senior Members.

The information so far seems that SMs who are willing to renew for a 3-year period can get the membership card, which will look pretty similar to the current verticle-oriented USAF ID cards.  The differences would be, of course, CAP's name (not USAF's), a blue stripe across the bottom, and the lack of a smart chip.  There would also be a built hologram with the CAP seal.

The ID is supposed to look something like this sample (minus the chip, plus the blue stripe):

I, for one, think this is an excellent step in the right direction for CAP and I'm looking forward to hopefully be one of the first SMs to get one should they come out.  I won't mind renewing for three years at a time. Comments, thoughts?   
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

The new ID card is on the agenda for the National Board Meeting next month in Washington D.C.  Also are some new variations depending upon cost that include making the membership card a 'photo ID' of sorts. 

The major factor as I see it is more of a cost issue.  Currently the membership card costs National something like 40 cents a piece to produce.  A photo ID similiar to a current DoD ID card costs in the neighborhood of $2.50 a piece to produce.  Now multiply that number out by some 41,000 senior members.

The DoD style ID card may become an optional item with the member paying for the card to offset costs to National.

The step to move to a photo ID card is a very positive move and has been needed for some time.  Whatever configuration it ends up being we will just have to wait and see.

If it is approved at the NB expect to see something around October 1, 2005 hitting the streets.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

arajca

I think it interesting and long overdue.

A major question will be if the AF will accept it for access to facilities. Now it can take up to a hour to get through the gate due to having to register everytime you want to go to wing supply (in CO at least) or MCSS or to a class on base.

Major_Chuck

My understanding of the "ID" Card that they are presenting is that the AF has bit off on it and that AF Colonel Sohan ispresenting it to the board.

The sample card I saw in the agenda also featured the USAF symbol with the CAP command shield above it.  The CAP Seal will sit next to the picture with the words USAF Aux underneath it.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2005, 06:41:48 PMThe ID is supposed to look something like this sample (minus the chip, plus the blue stripe):

Blue stripe  ???
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on February 22, 2005, 11:11:25 PM
Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2005, 06:41:48 PMThe ID is supposed to look something like this sample (minus the chip, plus the blue stripe):

Blue stripe  ???

From the proposal I heard about, the ID will have a blue stripe across the bottom of the ID (which the RealMilitary doesn't have on theirs) as an additional way to distinguish us as civlians and not members of the Armed Forces.

I am eagerly anticipating this ID and hope that by next year I'll have one in my wallet.  I have long advocated a photo identification card over having simply a membership card, for a myriad of reasons most related to our operations.

We'll see how it goes over at the National Boards.

Yoda

If they plan to make the SM's pay to offset the costs of such a card, I'd like to see that made available to cadets also.  If cadets are willing to pay for the card, I think they should be allowed to have one.  They would make much more secure photo ID for getting on bases at the very least.

Hill CAP

Holden

from what I understand the card will only be available to SM's that opt to re-up their membership for three (3) years.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Pylon

Quote from: JAdkinson on February 23, 2005, 08:51:32 AM
Holden

from what I understand the card will only be available to SM's that opt to re-up their membership for three (3) years.

This is going to be an expensive membership renewel!  At least $150.   :P ::)

whatevah

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

The agenda for the NB meeting is up at National Publications site.  One item on it is the photo id card - with images of the two design finalists.

Among the information provided:
It will be available to all senior members when renewing.
There may be a surcharge for the photo card if renewing for one or two years.
The photo card costs 4 to 7 times as much as the current membership card and funding sources will have to be identified.
The current temporary card would be replaced by a postcard with the membership number and instructions how to upload a photo.
Seniors who do not need or want base access may be able to opt-out of the new card.
If renewing for three years, only one card will be given free. Replacements and promotions must be paid for.
Unit numbers will not be on the card, eliminating the need to send out new cards if a member transfers.
And, after implementation, a deadline would be set after which only the photo card would be accepted for base access.

Both finalists have been approved by the AF. There is 4 pages devoted to this topic in the agenda.

It may finally come to pass! 8)

Pylon

Very nice.

For everybody's enjoyment, here are the two proposed designs (which aren't much different from each other):

Seems like it'd be a confusing mess of who gets them and who doesn't at first, but I'm sure in a year or two it would work out and settle down to a very simple and clear pattern.

Greg

Question- who's going to take the pictures?

SarDragon

They will be submitted online via CAPWATCH. This brings up another Q - who's gonna verify that the picture is actually of the member in question?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2005, 12:54:44 AM
They will be submitted online via CAPWATCH. This brings up another Q - who's gonna verify that the picture is actually of the member in question?

That system is already in place.  When any member uploads their photo to CAPWATCH, it does not take effect or appear immediately.  Their unit commander must approve the photograph by logging into e-Services and clicking on pending approvals, to verify that  the photo is actually the member in question and the photo fits the guidelines and is appropriate for CAP use.

I don't see any reason to change that system.  The person most likely to recognize each individual would be the unit commander, certainly not an NHQ staffer.

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on February 24, 2005, 01:23:56 AM

That system is already in place.  When any member uploads their photo to CAPWATCH, it does not take effect or appear immediately.  Their unit commander must approve the photograph by logging into e-Services and clicking on pending approvals, to verify that  the photo is actually the member in question and the photo fits the guidelines and is appropriate for CAP use.

I don't see any reason to change that system.  The person most likely to recognize each individual would be the unit commander, certainly not an NHQ staffer.

I'm being tempted to upload a picture of Orlando Bloom and see if my Squadron Commander will approve it ;D.  On a more serious note- will it matter if SM's are in a uniform or not?

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on February 24, 2005, 01:42:51 AM
Quote from: Pylon on February 24, 2005, 01:23:56 AM

I'm being tempted to upload a picture of Orlando Bloom and see if my Squadron Commander will approve it ;D.  On a more serious note- will it matter if SM's are in a uniform or not?

I suppose NHQ should publish guidelines on the photos, specifying background, framing, and uniforms to address questions like that.   My opinion is that if we're going to be carrying IDs that resemble those of the Armed Forces and portray us as Auxiliarists of the US Air Force that we ought to be in uniform (excluding golf shirts and mess dress) for the photo.

Schmidty06

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 22, 2005, 05:24:07 AM
The major factor as I see it is more of a cost issue.  Currently the membership card costs National something like 40 cents a piece to produce.  A photo ID similiar to a current DoD ID card costs in the neighborhood of $2.50 a piece to produce.  Now multiply that number out by some 41,000 senior members.

Actually, I have an answer for this.  It all depends on whether or not they keep the smart chip on the card, if it has a hologram, and if it is or is not double sided.  My family is in the photo ID business, and I work with this stuff a lot.

Professional SWAGs for pricing per card:
Double-sided, no chip, no hologram: 67 cents
Double-sided, no chip, hologram: $2.67
Double-sided, chip, hologram: we don't deal with chips, so I'll pudge it at $5.67
Single-sided, no chip, no hologram: 50 cents
(The hologram and chip prices are low-end, not just lowest- but desperate bidder estimates)

Materials:
blank card: 14 cents a piece
printer ribbon: 40-50 cents per card
hologram: one (or more) big ol' several-thousand dollar printer, cost of designing the hologram, and the hologram ribbon and such, and also the design and placement of the hologram (I don't even want to think about dealing with that production hassle).

And for the rest of the obtuse combinations that you can think of, add the cost of the holograms and chips.  The current CAPID cards I'd estimate at 50 cents per card.  NHQ most likely has card with the text on the back and the design on the front printed for 30 to 40 cents a piece, and then they print your personal information over that.  I can prove this because you can scratch your personal information off of the card and the background will be unaffected (ask yourself if you REALLY want to test this out... use one of your expired cards). 

arajca

The NB agenda lists the various costs and investments that need to be made. The hologram is applied to the card as it is printing.

The current cost per card is $0.41.

The costs for the photo card ranges from $1.78 to $2.57.

SarDragon

Regarding holograms - if the new CAP cards are done the way my current DD Form 2 (Ret) and DD Form 1173 are done, the "holograms" are part of the laminating plastic sandwich. They require no special printing process as a part of the card making process, since the images are put in/on the plastic when it is made in bulk.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret