Main Menu

CAP's Brand Image

Started by FlyNavy, March 15, 2015, 11:55:03 PM

FlyNavy

We all know CAP is great organization, and that we do great things. However, its apparent at least in a large number of communities, that we aren't well known.

Our Squadron CC sent me this brochure recently, and Im truly excited to see what's inside.

The CAP BrandBook for those of you whom haven't taken a peek yet, is an extraordinary document that details not only who we are, but how we can enhance our "Brand Image" so that others outside our sphere of influence know who we are.

For instance, most companies, organizations, and products on the market today associate themselves with a series of colors, symbols, and even hashtags#. When you see these references in your daily life, you know immediately what those colors and symbols belong to.

CAP in theory should be homogenous across all units, but unfortunantly due to it being a volunteer part time organization, finds itself with a lack of clear cut guidance in many units.

The CAP Brandbook in my opinion seeks to establish a Brand Image for CAP, and make us recognizable to the public. If the public and local governments know we exist, and know what our mission and capabilities are, then we are more likely to be utilized. Utilization brings increased recognition and visibility; these two items increase membership and funding.

The bottom line? Read the CAP Brand Book and start implementing it throughout all of our Wings. Small changes are easy to make, and can benefit us greatly in the long run.

CAP Brand Book: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_MasterPlan_RD10__Revised_3A7B79D355C5C.pdf

What do all of you think?

Pilot, Oklahoma Wing
Qualifications: MP, MO, MS, AOBD, MSA, MRO, MSO, TMP, UDF, WS

SeanM

As someone who's still a bit of a newbie to CAP, I feel like we are a "best kept secret" kind of thing.  Nobody seems to know who we are or what we do, at least in my state (Delaware).  That might be different for other wings, but out here, that's the way it seems to be.

Without brand awareness (both with social media and with plain, old-fashioned word of mouth), IMHO, we will never grow.  But the PDF certainly speaks to some of the issues we face, like lack of budget for increasing our branding program, and a lack of a cohesive program to drive the branding process.

I think the paper makes a good start at addressing the issue, but it's going to take everyone doing their part to make it work.  And, while the paper addresses brand awareness, it fails to address the second part of the program, which is retention.  Once a new member joins, you have to keep interest up and keep our mission relevant to keep him or her coming back.  That's just as important.

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

THRAWN

Quote from: SeanM on March 16, 2015, 12:58:18 PM
As someone who's still a bit of a newbie to CAP, I feel like we are a "best kept secret" kind of thing.  Nobody seems to know who we are or what we do, at least in my state (Delaware).  That might be different for other wings, but out here, that's the way it seems to be.

Without brand awareness (both with social media and with plain, old-fashioned word of mouth), IMHO, we will never grow.  But the PDF certainly speaks to some of the issues we face, like lack of budget for increasing our branding program, and a lack of a cohesive program to drive the branding process.

I think the paper makes a good start at addressing the issue, but it's going to take everyone doing their part to make it work.  And, while the paper addresses brand awareness, it fails to address the second part of the program, which is retention.  Once a new member joins, you have to keep interest up and keep our mission relevant to keep him or her coming back.  That's just as important.

Sean

Then you're talking to the wrong people. DE Wing has a long history of service to the state through its interaction with DelDOT and a strong relationship with the 166th at ILG. During the last 5 years the wing has interacted with schools, churches, the GA community and the EM community during some of the most active weather in history.....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SeanM

Agreed, we do a lot with DelDOT, government agencies, etc...   However, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  I was referring more to the common person that you meet on the street, the people that we want to recruit.  How many of them know who CAP is, or what our mission entails?  My experience has been very darned few.  We're not trying to recruit the agencies we work with, we're trying to recruit people to fill our ranks and be more "aware" of us.

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

NIN

Quote from: SeanM on March 16, 2015, 12:58:18 PM

All of the armed services have embraced "Brand awareness" and "branding campaigns" that speak to making sure that the myriad of users out in the field who might be inclined to produce materials locally for some reason (say printed materials for advertising, recruiting and public awareness, not administrative publications or regs/manuals) are doing so with a high degree of commonality to the national message and repeatability. (Sound familiar?)

The AF speaks to trademark and licensing (http://www.trademark.af.mil/) because they have to control the toy market whenever Michael Bay releases a new movie. (honestly, the AF breaks it out differently than the other services do)

The Army talks about its brand as it pertains to PA interfaces far afield, as well as social media and common elements of the "army brand": http://www.army.mil/create/ and things like Logos (http://www.army.mil/create/designer/logos.html), Typography (http://www.army.mil/create/designer/typography.html) and color use (http://www.army.mil/create/designer/colors.html) and an overall branding guide (http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/rv5_downloads/create/branding_toolkit.pdf)

The Marines are wicked serious about their brand (as you would expect): http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/134/Docs/CCM%20Docs/MCRC/MC%20Brand%20Guide/USMC_brand_guide2009.pdf and http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/divpa/Units/MarineCorpsTrademarkLicensingProgram/FAQ.aspx

The Navy seems like "Meh, throw a fouled anchor out there, let it rip. Oh yeah, Seal Team Six!"

But your point about the "best kept secret" has rankled me since 1981, BTW.  We seem to wear that like a badge of honor. That is NOT a point of pride, folks, and is an example of why we've fallen on our faces from a PA & awareness standpoint for 30+ years.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Salty

"USAF's best kept secret" was one of the first responses I received when I asked what CAP was when I was being recruited as a cadet in 1989.  It's mind boggling to me that even in 2015 it's still an issue.  Considering we've been in a wartime state since at least 2001 (you could probably go even further back to 1990) and with all the notable natural disasters that have occurred, it seems like CAP would've received some kind of bump in social awareness by default.  I remember being part of color guard details that participated in yellow ribbon events during the first Gulf War and people were amazed that an organization like CAP existed.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

FW

Quote from: Salty on March 16, 2015, 03:31:05 PM
"USAF's best kept secret" was one of the first responses I received when I asked what CAP was when I was being recruited as a cadet in 1989.  It's mind boggling to me that even in 2015 it's still an issue.  Considering we've been in a wartime state since at least 2001 (you could probably go even further back to 1990) and with all the notable natural disasters that have occurred, it seems like CAP would've received some kind of bump in social awareness by default.  I remember being part of color details that participated in yellow ribbon events during the first Gulf War and people were amazed that an organization like CAP existed.

After the events of 2001, our membership roles swelled to over 67,000.  Membership has declined to about 58,000 today; about a 14% decrease.  We continue to recruit cadets at about the same level as in past years.  Senior membership stays consistent as well.  Funding has also been consistent. In other words; same old same old...

What gave us that "bump" in membership? Why did things return to "normal"? Why haven't we developed a committed contributor base? Why are we still talking about "Branding"?  From what I can fathom, the membership has done all it can.  It's time for the Board of Governors to step in and use their combined "clout" to bring in some much needed help. 

The14th

CAP is staffed with a lot of older, "out if touch" with current social media types who likely wouldn't have a clue how to properly utilize it. The fact that like 90% of all CAP websites are outdated, shoddy messes should tell you something.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: The14th on March 16, 2015, 05:10:47 PM
CAP is staffed with a lot of older, "out if touch" with current social media types who likely wouldn't have a clue how to properly utilize it. The fact that like 90% of all CAP websites are outdated, shoddy messes should tell you something.

Webdevelopers don't join/have time/want to work for free?

JeffDG

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 16, 2015, 05:42:58 PM

Well, there's also the fact that NHQ is actively hostile to field-developed applications.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on March 16, 2015, 05:43:41 PM

Well, there's also the fact that NHQ is actively hostile to field-developed applications.

Even so, we simply don't have the numbers for everyone to "have their own", and while NHQ has their own websites, and applications, for some reason no one thinks a "cookie cutter" type could/should be set up for all.

LTC Don

I sure don't know, and I don't think anyone else can actually quantify it, but our state has 9 million people in it and we can't seem to break the 2000 member threshold.  Nationally, with over 350 >million< people, we can't seem to break the 60,000 member threshold, and as someone mentioned, we topped out at 67,000 members post 9-11.

What should be the ratio of membership to population?  I don't know, but as it stands now, it seems awfully 'out of balance' somehow.

With regards to relevance and more importantly, retention, I think the mission set and Kool-Aid machine needs a major overhaul because I see a whole lot of thrashing of the gears and wheels, and no movement.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Capt Thompson

Interestingly, Public Law 557 required "recruiting and training of 100,000 Civil Air Patrol Cadets in Aeronautical Ground School Subjects."

The 1950 report to Congress states active membership for December of that year was 161,214 Seniors, and 28,310 Cadets, for a total of 189,532 members.

During the 60's numbers fell significantly, but still remained much higher than they are now, around 80k combined Seniors/Cadets.

At that time, Civil Air Patrol PSA's flooded the airwaves, recorded by celebrities like Jerry Lewis and Max Baer (Jethro from Beverly Hillbillies). Lewis was the official Recruiter-at-large for CAP and helped our "Brand Image" quite a bit.

Since joining in the 90's, CAP has always been word of mouth. Sure, we have a website and social media, but who's telling people to go to them? Our Instagram is filled with pics of Seniors from an awards ceremony, instead of high speed shots of Cadets doing something cool. We're greatly losing on the social media front.

All it would really take, is a few well done ads on TV, and a good Social Media campaign.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

The14th

It doesn't take a web developer to create a decent looking site in today's day and age.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: The14th on March 16, 2015, 07:52:36 PM

It doesn't take a web developer to create a decent looking site in today's day and age.

Yea...it doesn't. But you know those sites you call outdated? That's because "someone" whether capable or not, was making it, and then they probably left CAP at some point, or no one bothers to update content.

The14th

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 16, 2015, 08:08:55 PM
Quote from: The14th on March 16, 2015, 07:52:36 PM

Yea...it doesn't. But you know those sites you call outdated? That's because "someone" whether capable or not, was making it, and then they probably left CAP at some point, or no one bothers to update content.

Which is a big issue with the brand. And is something somebody should consider fixing, but nobody seems to care that online imagine is a huge part of today's world and allowing out of date sites and members to create them on a whim is not a good thing.

AirAux

We have a delimma.  WE are part of a bigger brand, the USAF.  With that said, Momma don't want us.  Back when we had higher numbers, we used to meet on Air Force bases and have our encampment on Air Force bases and use Air Force Buses adn Aircraft to go from point to point.  We used to be welcome by the Air Force.  Now, due to various reasons, some good, some bogus, we are shunned.  No field trips to the tower.  No parties at the NCO club.  No activities on the Base to speak of at all (in most places, there are a few exceptions).  We are almost out of a job, here is very little search activity left, no ELT's searches to speak of.  Our use as part of CD is gone, repalced by FEMA, etc.  We do not do radiological monitoring anymore.  WE have very little use to the Air Force anymore.  In most places, any seniors flying are more of the GOB club than anything else.  Try to bring a new member in and maybe, just maybe, they will have their Check ride in a year or their observer rating in a year.  It is a very expensive way to go.  With the state militias issuing uniforms and seemingly training with chain saws for natural disasters it would seem they have a lot in competition with us and maybe doing a better job.  Are we Air search and rescue??   Are we Cadet program?  Are we Emergency services?  Are we Aerospace education?  I don't think we know and therefore we have a branding problem.  Are we recruiting pilots?  Are we recruiting woodsmen for search?  Are we recruiting cadets?  Are we recruiting areospace engineers or teachers?  We are in trouble and until we clarify who we are and what we want to do we are floating on a sea of despair.   As usual, JMHO..   

THRAWN

Quote from: AirAux on March 17, 2015, 03:16:35 PM
We have a delimma.  WE are part of a bigger brand, the USAF.  With that said, Momma don't want us.  Back when we had higher numbers, we used to meet on Air Force bases and have our encampment on Air Force bases and use Air Force Buses adn Aircraft to go from point to point.  We used to be welcome by the Air Force.  Now, due to various reasons, some good, some bogus, we are shunned.  No field trips to the tower.  No parties at the NCO club.  No activities on the Base to speak of at all (in most places, there are a few exceptions).  We are almost out of a job, here is very little search activity left, no ELT's searches to speak of.  Our use as part of CD is gone, repalced by FEMA, etc.  We do not do radiological monitoring anymore.  WE have very little use to the Air Force anymore.  In most places, any seniors flying are more of the GOB club than anything else.  Try to bring a new member in and maybe, just maybe, they will have their Check ride in a year or their observer rating in a year.  It is a very expensive way to go.  With the state militias issuing uniforms and seemingly training with chain saws for natural disasters it would seem they have a lot in competition with us and maybe doing a better job.  Are we Air search and rescue??   Are we Cadet program?  Are we Emergency services?  Are we Aerospace education?  I don't think we know and therefore we have a branding problem.  Are we recruiting pilots?  Are we recruiting woodsmen for search?  Are we recruiting cadets?  Are we recruiting areospace engineers or teachers?  We are in trouble and until we clarify who we are and what we want to do we are floating on a sea of despair.   As usual, JMHO..   

You hit on a couple of good points. CAP doesn't have a branding issue, it has an identity issue. It wants to be all things to all people, and ends up doing them "half fast". CAP needs to figure out what role it wants to play and be the best in that role. Right now, the organization is still stuck on bombing U-boats instead of selling its current capabilities.

As an organization, there is no concentrated effort to recruit as you described. Sure, some units here and there do it, but when is the last time that a CAP guy went to a WINGS event and tried to recruit? Or make a presentation at a local or state EMO/EMA conference? Make a presentation to a school that didn't already have a CAP presence? If you want pilots, targeet them. If you want ES types, target them. If you want Cadets....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on March 17, 2015, 03:51:38 PM
Right now, the organization is still stuck on bombing unsubstantiated claims about U-boats instead of selling its current capabilities.

FW

Quote from: THRAWN on March 17, 2015, 03:51:38 PM
CAP doesn't have a branding issue, it has an identity issue. It wants to be all things to all people, and ends up doing them "half fast". CAP needs to figure out what role it wants to play and be the best in that role. Right now, the organization is still stuck on bombing U-boats instead of selling its current capabilities.

As an organization, there is no concentrated effort to recruit as you described. Sure, some units here and there do it, but when is the last time that a CAP guy went to a WINGS event and tried to recruit? Or make a presentation at a local or state EMO/EMA conference? Make a presentation to a school that didn't already have a CAP presence? If you want pilots, targeet them. If you want ES types, target them. If you want Cadets....

We do have a branding issue.  It may be partially due as you describe, however it is more complex than that.  Proper branding means widespread identification with the brand.  Active members identify.  Potentials don't.  Proper branding means better identity, dedicated members, and a contributor base which helps us to grow.  It becomes a positive cycle.... Branding begets identity which begets positive results; not just recruitment of members.