Updated CAPR 35-5 released today (11 Aug 14)

Started by Salty, August 11, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

JeffDG

Doesn't impact me, but I can't say I'm happy about taking away the bump to Captain as a Squadron/CC + 1 year.  That was one of the advanced promotions that was very much a well deserved shortcut for a thankless job.

LSThiker

Or use SOS for Level IV and ACSC for level V.  Then take AWC, which some people have been saying that the USAF has been limiting CAP participation, as a leisure.  That way, if rumors are true, you do not screw yourself.  Once you use ACSC for level IV, NHQ won't let you use it again for Level v. 

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on August 11, 2014, 06:15:45 PM
Or use SOS for Level IV and ACSC for level V.  Then take AWC, which some people have been saying that the USAF has been limiting CAP participation, as a leisure.  That way, if rumors are true, you do not screw yourself.  Once you use ACSC for level IV, NHQ won't let you use it again for Level v.

Understood.  I had my plan figured out to skip SOS entirely...as I said, not a big deal, but a wrinkle.)

Heck, you can't enroll in SOS right now anyway.
QuoteNOTE: To enroll send an email to ProDev@capnhq.gov requesting enrollment information for the SOS DL course.  You will be contacted by CAP NHQ staff and provided with enrollment instructions. Your request will be held until we are informed Air University has corrected their system problems.
http://capmembers.com/cap_university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/

See correction below.  Send e-mail to prodev@capnhq.gov and they can get you enrolled.

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on August 11, 2014, 06:19:18 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on August 11, 2014, 06:15:45 PM

Understood.  I had my plan figured out to skip SOS entirely...as I said, not a big deal, but a wrinkle.)

Heck, you can't enroll in SOS right now anyway.
QuoteNOTE: To enroll send an email to ProDev@capnhq.gov requesting enrollment information for the SOS DL course.  You will be contacted by CAP NHQ staff and provided with enrollment instructions. Your request will be held until we are informed Air University has corrected their system problems.
http://capmembers.com/cap_university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/

Yes and no.  You can contact NHQ and do the paperwork, but you may have to wait.  A few people have enrolled into ACSC since at least Dec.  they had to wait a few months before they were officially in the program, but they are in it now.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: THRAWN on August 11, 2014, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 11, 2014, 05:07:55 PM
Guess I'm going to be a Captain for awhile as RSC is not in the cards in the next few years for me.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the changes, I'm just glad I got captain done.

Why wait for RSC? Sure it's a great course, but if you can't get to it for a few years, look at SOS as an alternative.

I don't have a bachelor's degree.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 11, 2014, 06:27:35 PM

Guess I'm going to be a Captain for awhile as RSC is not in the cards in the next few years for me.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the changes, I'm just glad I got captain done.

Why wait for RSC? Sure it's a great course, but if you can't get to it for a few years, look at SOS as an alternative.

Welcome to my world. 124 out of 124 credits, need 1 course, owe too much in loans, school will not release grades etc etc.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LSThiker

So just for clarification, the manning authorization is only for promotion and not overall numbers.  As NCOs are appointed at the rank they were in the military, if a retired CMSgt joins a squadron, but has no desire to be at Wing level as a senior advisor, that won't affect the wing authorization correct?

Never mind, saw the citation in the reg

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 11, 2014, 06:35:53 PM
Welcome to my world. 124 out of 124 credits, need 1 course, owe too much in loans, school will not release grades etc etc.

Not much CAP can do about the USAF requirements for SOS and above.

JeffDG

Just to correct, the above.

NHQ can get you registered for SOS and the others...just got a quick e-mail back from them in regards to this.  Send an e-mail to the suggested address and they can help you get registered if you like.

THRAWN

Doh. Keep forgetting that they are actually enforcing that rule now. I think I was one of the last to finish ACSC without it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MICT1362

I agree with what they are trying to do.  I like the new timetable. However, I think that the grandfather clause should cover both TIG and PD LVL not just TIG. This would allow people to complete the promotions they are on and not have a multi year set back.

vento

Quote from: MICT1362 on August 11, 2014, 10:23:20 PM
I agree with what they are trying to do.  I like the new timetable. However, I think that the grandfather clause should cover both TIG and PD LVL not just TIG. This would allow people to complete the promotions they are on and not have a multi year set back.

+1

MacGruff

Quote from: MICT1362 on August 11, 2014, 10:23:20 PM

I'm one of the people who are caught in the "hole" here. I've met all the previous requirements except Time-in-Grade for my next promotion. I meet that requirement in six weeks. I am very active in the squadron and since I am currently a 2nd Lt. there would not be a problem with getting the promotion to 1st Lt.  Except....  Now there is!

You see, the last time Squadron Leadership School was offered in my area was about three years ago.

So, now the new PD requirement means that I am in limbo for the promotion for an indeterminate amount of time. I had recently discussed this with our group commander as we have several people who do not have that training in our squadron, and even offered to help organize it and assist in making it happen. Unfortunately, that group commander decided to leave shortly after we spoke and the new group commander is probably still trying to figure out what hit him!

It's not that big of a deal to me to wait, but it seems rather abrupt given that this regulation came out today, but is backdated to June and does not grandfather people except for the Time in Grade requirement.

I guess I'm disappointed in the leadership here.

LSThiker

That would a good time to offer your services to organize an SLS.  If he does not agree, then there is always the long distance option.

Panache

Quote from: THRAWN on August 11, 2014, 06:46:36 PM

Doh. Keep forgetting that they are actually enforcing that rule now. I think I was one of the last to finish ACSC without it.

Does this mean that without a Bachelor's degree, you're effectively locked at Major / Level IV now?

Eclipse

I'm not affected by this, so take my comments in that light.  I've always thought
that having Level V hanging out on it's own, disconnected from grade was weird.
It's essentially a ribbon for NSC, so requiring it for Lt Col makes sense, however considering
how few spots there are for the single NSC run each year, and that the school's staff
can be subjectively selective, that's a good way to keep the silver oak club closed.

This has zero affect on the organization whatsoever for more then four years, and while
it will theoretically suppress the number of oaks in the room, that won't be won't be
visible for over a decade, meanwhile you'll still have the same people doing the
same jobs with no authority connected to grade whatsoever.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to be an NCO in the context of this
reg, promotion opportunities will be nearly nonexistent, or if they are plentiful,
we'll have Chief coffee bringer helping Lt Col Coffee bringer back at the unit in a few years.
There's also still the elephant in the room of no real NCO duties in the CAP paradigm.

If you're not already a Captain when you are appointed as a Wing or Region Finance Officer,
you shouldn't be getting appointed as a Wing or Region Finance Officer.

How is it that HSOs, which have no role or duty special from anyone else, and are
basically barred from using their skills in a CAP context, exempt from PD?  That makes zero
sense and just perpetuates the uninformed promotions, same goes for Legal.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Two days away from finishing SLS and Level II and they change the rules.  Great.

I really could have used the extra money from the Captain promotion!  :'(

Eclipse

Quote from: Panache on August 12, 2014, 01:48:22 AM
Does this mean that without a Bachelor's degree, you're effectively locked at Major / Level IV now?

No.  The "intended" way to promote is via RSC.  The correspondence schools are / were a "nice to have"
that few members completed regardless of the academic requirements.

If being a major is important enough, members will have to make choices as to where to spend their CAP
time.  Perhaps one year going to RSC and forgoing NESA or a flight academy.

National also needs to ramp up the RSC's and offer more of them so they aren't such a "quest".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Also, it's too late coming now, but the lesson for many here is "don't delay your PD".

I know more then a few members who have been long eligible for promotions but kept putting it
off, and now they are stuck.  TIG is one thing, but having the oaks in your hand and then being
told you need another full level to achieve it is another.

I suppose anything can be back-dated if yo have the right pen, but it would have been nice
to have >some< grace period for people with everything completed and just not submitted,
or even some verbiage that "work completed but not submitted before 1 June 2014 will still
be accepted", etc.

Are you screwed on this if your Major has been sitting in your CC's To-Do bin since April?

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2014, 02:09:51 AM

Are you screwed on this if your Major has been sitting in your CC's To-Do bin since April?

This is literally my posisition. I have been waiting for the approve button to be clicked and now... I'm not sure, but I have worked hard to achieve this.

Does this sudden change really make a difference for CAP? Nope...

And why now?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC