Main Menu

cadet patron status

Started by SABRE17, December 03, 2010, 11:10:55 PM

SABRE17

here's my predicament.

im 17 years old, a senior in high school (18 in may)

ill be attending college in the fall of 2011 in New Hampshire
currently live in MA

when i visited the college ill be going to last month i found out that there is a CAP unit that meets on campus and has an aircraft at the airport across the street from the college campus.

I obviously want to stay in cap, but i want to know what to do about switching units, in the summer id live back in MA but would spend the academic year in NH

one of my FO's suggested patron status <- not quite sure what that means...

i thought that i could transfer to the NH unit and keep perusing grade promotions etc while im there, and come to MA meetings in the summer, but what if i want to take the PT test at my MA unit during the summer to promote?

so i guess my question is is this the right plan of action and can i still take the PT tests at my old unit even if im technically in a different unit on my ID card/national or can i just switch back and forth? <- paperwork heavy???

jimmydeanno

Transfers are easy to do, literally taking seconds.  Just talk to the squadron commander of the unit you'd like to transfer to and explain the situation.  It should be no issue as long as you don't play the "I can't get what I want here, so I'm transferring to this other unit" game.

I assume you are talking about the "Greater Nashua Composite Squadron."  The folks there are pretty nice.

Don't transfer to patron status.  You can't really do anything in it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SABRE17

yea, i was skeptical about patron status, didn't make sense to me, thanks for the advice and + 10 points for guessing the unit, i intentionally didnt give names to see if any one would get it :)

but that brings up another question, will i have to switch back and forth between NH and MA every June and august? or can i just stay officially in NH and go to MA meetings yet still do PT (testing is online of course)

also. is the ACUT transferable, if i get a patriot call sign can i take that to abernaki? or will i need to get re ACUTed for NH?
(working on getting ACUT taught at my  unit)

SARDOC

There is no such thing as a cadet patron Status...even if you were allowed to become a regular patron member you can not promote wear the uniform etc...

If your goal is to continue participating in the cadet program is to seek advice from your cadet Programs officer and your squadron commander to see what your options are.  They may need to coordinate testing and training in order to meet CAP as well as your personal objectives.

You would not be the first cadet to participate with another unit while away at school.  Good Luck

DakRadz

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 03, 2010, 11:26:09 PM
but that brings up another question, will i have to switch back and forth between NH and MA every June and august? or can i just stay officially in NH and go to MA meetings yet still do PT (testing is online of course)
As it was explained to me, your own assigned squadron must fill in the blanks to allow you to promote. You could get the Sqd/CCs to communicate with each other. Then CC Hometown tells CC College that C/Sabre has just passed PT with flying colors and all is right with the world.

Simply put: It's really up to the commanders, but I do not believe it is actually against regs.

Eclipse

Your commander of record must approve promotions and other related items.

The best thing to do here is discuss this with the commanders and see if they are willing to let you split your year and what that will
mean from a practical standpoint.  CAP is about more than perusing grades, you should be a physical presence somewhere to progress.

I don't know why someone would suggest you go to patron if you intend to be active, Patron Status is basically a financial supporter and you can't participate in any meaningful way.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

I command a squadron on MIWG, and have a cadet attending Penn State.  When she went out there, she contacted the squadron commander there about attending meetings, testing, character development, etc.  The commander there contacted me, we agreed that she could participate there without transferring her membership.  When she tests, attends an activity, etc, the commander there emails me and I record it in SIMS and eServices.  I'm guessing she hasn't done much out there yet, as I've not received any emails, and she tested here when she was home for Thanksgiving.

It's possible, with a little communication between your commander, and the commander in NHWG, that a similar arrangement can be made.

Slim