Main Menu

Holiday Safety Message

Started by Stonewall, December 03, 2008, 05:23:26 PM

Stonewall

Just a little something I sent out to the employees for where I work and thought I'd share here.  It's general safety info for the holiday season.

-----------------------------

Since coming on board as the new security director, I have found myself using different resources to accomplish my job than I am used to from previous jobs.  As a law enforcement officer, we had computers at our disposal that allowed us to gather information about people based on a license plate.  However, in the private sector, I don't have that luxury.  On several occasions our security department has been called to investigate a suspicious car on the property.  More often than not, we can easily identify the owner by looking through a window and seeing personal information in plain view.  Names, addresses, bank account information and much more; free for anyone to see.  Fortunately, we are using this information to simply contact a member or employee, but if we use it, you can bet the bad guys do.

As we jump into the holiday season, I wanted to pass on the following safety tips that may seem like common sense, but often need to be reviewed for our own good, especially when heading to stores and malls during the holiday season. 

BEFORE HEADING OUT

• Organize yourself.  Know exactly which credit cards you have with you, how much cash you plan to carry and make sure your cell phone is charged and turned on.
  • Have a plan.  Know which stores you plan to visit and tell someone where you're going and how long you expect to be gone.

• Remove anything of value from your car.  If you're going to a local mall, you won't need your GPS attached to your windshield. 

• Shop during the day.  It gets darker earlier this time of year, so plan to be finished while it's still light outside.

IN PARKING AREAS

• Make a mental note of where you parked your vehicle.

• Never park in an isolated area.

• Park in a well-lit area as close as possible to mall entrances.

• Store your packages in the trunk of your car.

• Know your vehicle's license plate number.

• When leaving your vehicle, make sure all doors are locked and windows closed.

• Have your keys ready when returning to your vehicle.

• Only leave your ignition key with a valet parking attendant.

• When walking to or from your vehicle, avoid dark areas where criminals might hide.

• you have car trouble, remain in your car and use a cell phone to call for assistance, or return to the mall and notify security.

AS YOU SHOP

• Walk confidently and be alert.

• Don't burden yourself with too many bags or packages.

• Don't display large sums of cash.

• Never leave your credit card on a store counter.

• Carry your handbag or purse close to your body with the clasp or flap toward you.

• Never leave your purse on a store counter or dressing room floor.

• Shop with friends whenever possible.

• Report suspicious people or situations to mall security.

Two notes about the Jacksonville area:

St. Johns Town Center is a beautiful place to shop and eat.  After checking with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, they have reported it to be a very low crime area as far as shopping centers go in the area, with Regency Square Mall being at the opposite end of the spectrum.  If you wish to stay warm and shop inside, the Avenues Mall is the best option.  But still follow the guide above.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office conducted a security assessment of all movie theaters in the area and concluded that Cinemark Tinseltown on Southside Blvd to be the best theater as far as safety and security.

Just a few things to keep in mind as you shop and spend time with your family and friends.  If you have any questions about safety and security please don't hesitate to stop by the security office or call me at 285-1111.

From your security department, have a safe and happy holiday season.

And then  I did my electronic signature thingy....
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I think that's a pretty darned good message there Kirt.

You didn't sign it with the moving bug did you???    >:D

JAFO78

May I add also for men, move your wallet from your rear pocket to a front pocket so you can't be pic- pocketed. I always move mine even when I go to Wal-Mart.
If I am wearing may cargo shorts I keep mine in lower front pocket. My wallet is not fat and filled with too much stuff.

A friend back in MN just carries his DL & 1CC. No check book. If he needs his check book, then he says he don't need to buy it.

8)
JAFO

Stonewall

Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 04, 2008, 06:00:41 PM
May I add also for men, move your wallet from your rear pocket to a front pocket so you can't be pic- pocketed.

In my original message, I actually had a bullet with this advice.  But since I carry mine in my back pocket, I didn't want to be seen as a hypocrite.  I can't stand carrying it anywhere else.  In fact, I having things in my pockets period.  A wallet is it.

But in my wallet, you will not see ID, credit cards, or anything else identifying me in any way, shape or form.  Everything is turned inward so if I pull my wallet, you can't even see which state my DL is from.

When I used to work a surveillance detection workshop for DIA spouses in DC, we would impress upon them this "safety tip" after a day of discreet surveillance where we had everything from their home address to their kids names, all based from a lack of situational awareness and displaying their entire life via their wallets.
Serving since 1987.