broadcasting warnings from CAP planes

Started by RiverAux, November 17, 2006, 12:05:34 AM

RiverAux

CAP News Online posted this link http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/10325644/detail.html to a story about a CAP blane broadcasting tsunami warnings in Hawaii. 

Anyone ever done this before?  Anyone know how they did this?  Mounting speakers on the struts?  Bullhorns?  How could you effectively do this given the limitations on how low CAP planes can fly? 

shorning

Speakers on the struts.  One facing forward, one facing backward (IIRC).

Eclipse

No one is going to hear a word you are saying from 1000' AGL, which is the
minimum altitude over urban / populated areas.

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

As I understand it, this system is designed for the more rural areas of Hawaii.  The more populated areas have other warning options.  This is just one options that State Civil Defense has.

RiverAux

Even in rural areas CAP planes have to stay up pretty darn high in the air according to 60-1. 

shorning

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 12:52:03 AM
Even in rural areas CAP planes have to stay up pretty darn high in the air according to 60-1. 

Well, unlike wild speculation, I've stuck to what I actually know about the program.  I haven't said a thing about how the perform  the mission. You asked about the set up and I provided what information I had.  You are welcome to keeping "guessing" how it works all you want.  I probably could find out how it really works, but it doesn't sound like you or Mr. Williams need it.

RiverAux

I don't think commenting about how well speakers can be heard from the altitudes CAP is restricted too is all that out of line....

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Chris Jacobs

The glider I fly is really quiet.   ;D

But more seriously.  I think if you had a good bullhorn attached you could get the message out.  The police choppers that i have seen broadcasting were a little lower than 1000 feet but they are also considerably louder than a small CAP plane.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

RiverAux

Don't get me wrong, if this actually works well given our limitations I'm all for trying to talk the states into buying a loudspeaker set up for every plane in the fleet..... It would be a great additional capability.  Consider flying over NO or southern Mississippi after Katrina broadcasting to people about where they could get help...if it works....

Chris Jacobs

Local officials could use us for more things than just Emergency services.  Local agencies could use it for broadcasting a multitude of information.  I can't really think of any right now but i bet this group will come up with some ideas.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

RiverAux

From Honolulu Advertiser:
Quote"The Civil Air Patrol was out there and told surfers, 'You ought to come in,' and they ignored the word," said Honolulu acting Civil Defense chief Bill Balfour. "I don't understand people sometimes. I don't know what goes through their minds."

mawr

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on November 17, 2006, 03:13:23 AM
Local officials could use us for more things than just Emergency services.  Local agencies could use it for broadcasting a multitude of information.  I can't really think of any right now but i bet this group will come up with some ideas.

I can see it now......CAP announcing the daily lotto numbers.  ;D
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

Becks

Quote from: RiverAux on November 17, 2006, 04:42:20 AM
From Honolulu Advertiser:
Quote"The Civil Air Patrol was out there and told surfers, 'You ought to come in,' and they ignored the word," said Honolulu acting Civil Defense chief Bill Balfour. "I don't understand people sometimes. I don't know what goes through their minds."

"Dude...theres like...a plane yelling at us!"  "Woah....thats radical man! This Tsunami is making some great waves!"

BBATW

JohnKachenmeister

You guys are right, that's why I'd like to know how its done.  What kind of speakers?  How are they mounted?  Can they eaily be installed and moved from plane-to-plane?  Do you broadcast a recorded message, or use a guy with a microphone?

This could be something that local communities could use to warn folks of evacuations, advise of radio frequencies to tune in for emergency instructions, etc.
Another former CAP officer

Chris Jacobs

Another great application would be to warn people of wild fires.  I know where i live if they need to warn people the police officer drives around doing it.  If you could relive him to go do other things i bet that would be a good help.  And think about it, most states out west have at least one wild fire every year that we could use this capability.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

lordmonar

It can be used to communicat with ground team when comm is out, used to pass instrucitons to victums in all sorts of situaitons.

Not a bad idea.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Lancer

It took a bit of digging, but I found a company that sells this type of equipment.

http://www.bergsupply.com/LSS/loudspeakers.htm

I'm sure a mounting bracket could be made to easily adapt this to our aircraft.

bosshawk

Folks: may I suggest, respectfully, that you contact Hawaii Wing and get the answers to your questions.  Steve Horning has told you all that he apparently knows.  There is a new guy in our Sq who transferred from Hawaii and he has mentioned this capability.  I am sure that Hawaii would be happy to supply you with all of the poop on this capability that you can absorb.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Chris Jacobs

I am interested in comming up with as many uses for this as possible.

I like the idea of using it to get information to SAR finds.  I know that if i was a person on the ground lost and saw an air plane over head i would love to hear from them.  if the airplane came over and confirmed that they saw me my spirits would be lifted.  Also you could direct the person to do certain actions to help make rescue safer.  such as telling them to go to a big clearing only a few hundred yards away or something like that.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron