Survival Tips (Ya' never know when ya' might need them)

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 17, 2008, 07:20:30 PM

Rob Sherlin

One of the first things you need to think of before you ever start a fire is what exactly you are planning on burning. As you may know White Birch Bark and other dry hard woods are great for starting a fire. Other plants though, like the Cashew Plants or Anacardium occidentale give off toxic gases when set ablaze. There have been numerous reports of throat irritation, naseau, vomiting, unusual fatigue, blindness and even death. Never under any circumstances burn cashew plants or any type of plant from the Anacardium family which is the same family that has poison ivy and poison oak in it!
    Cashew plants aren't all bad though, not only do they make a tasty treat when processed correctly, but their seeds can be ground up into a powder and used for snake bites! The nature oils in the nuts can also be used to heal cracked heels.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

jimmydeanno

^ Thanks for the tip!  If I might add to that...please don't take the bark off White Birch trees unless you are in a survival situation, it kills them rather easily because it opens the tree up for infection.

But anyway, I think this topic is great because it sets an expectation of informing yourself about the dangers of the environment you are in.  For example, I really don't need to worry about burning cashew plants because they don't grown anywhere near me.  However, poison ivy / oak / sumac - you betcha'!

I was reading an article this morning about a group of teenagers that had to be rescued because they failed to properly prepare themselves for a hike they were doing.  They didn't bring water, started late in the day, only brought 1 flashlight, wore t-shirts, etc.

Here's the article: Teens may pay price for hiking unprepared

Thanks for starting this Rob!

EDIT:  Thought I might add a tip! Often times people find themselves without a whistle when they need one.  This problem can be easily remidied by picking up an acorn shell.  Using your thumbs to create a "V" over the opening of the shell then blowing can be used to make a whistle that is often times louder than many whistles.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Don't eat yellow snow  ;D

Be sure to make sure water is sanitary before drinking it. Having a filter is the best way the purifier tabs are disgusting.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NCO forever on November 17, 2008, 08:02:42 PM
Don't eat yellow snow  ;D

Be sure to make sure water is sanitary before drinking it. Having a filter is the best way the purifier tabs are disgusting.

Anyone ever played around with the UV purifiers that are out there?

notaNCO forever

I have never used one but I have met some people that use them and like them.

Rob Sherlin

If you're planning on being in the woods, forest, etc. overnight, it's a good idea to have a shovel or something to dig a hole with. Use the hole to discard of human waste (also you should make sure you're far enough away from water sources as urine and such will seep). Make sure to bury the waste (even maybe put a rock over the spot). Predatory animals have a tendency to be attracted to such things when left out in the open and not taken care of. The last thing you want is to wake up to a bear or mountain lion in your face, and realize while you were tracking down "whatever", something was tracking you.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

flyerthom

Plan for your environment. What works in upstate NY won't always work in Southern Nevada. Dress for the crash - not for being cool.
TC

JAFO78

When starting a fire be careful and don't do it like they did out in CA, start a bonfire and start a major brush fire that took out million dollar homes.   :o

If it is too windy DON'T DO IT.   ::)
JAFO

SarDragon

Quote from: Rob Goodman on November 20, 2008, 03:06:01 AM
When starting a fire be careful and don't do it like they did out in CA, start a bonfire and start a major brush fire that took out million dollar homes.   :o

If it is too windy DON'T DO IT.   ::)

According to the last news item I heard, it wasn't a case of the wind. They "put it out", failed to ensure that it was out, and left the area. The smoldering ashes flared up, and off it went.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

heliodoc

^^^

Being in the wildland fire "bizness" for twenty years

Let's just say its a coupled event....  fire failed to be put out during a Santa Ana wind driven event

60+ mph winds and whatever ignitables that are smoldering get a chance to be driven into some woodpiles,  house eaves, through open vented areas, and preheating...then its off to the races

Rob Sherlin

CORN CHIPS!!!!.....If you're trying to start a fire and having a hard time in a damp area, try packing a few corn chips in your gear and use them as a kindling starter. Because of the fat and oils in the chips, they burn for quite a bit longer, giving you a better chance of lighting damp kindling.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 07, 2009, 05:30:34 PM
CORN CHIPS!!!!.....If you're trying to start a fire and having a hard time in a damp area, try packing a few corn chips in your gear and use them as a kindling starter. Because of the fat and oils in the chips, they burn for quite a bit longer, giving you a better chance of lighting damp kindling.

I can't remember if that was Les Stroud (Survivorman) of Bear Gryls (Man vs Wild)

Pylon

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 07, 2009, 05:30:34 PM

Makes you reconsider the health of eating them, however....   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rob Sherlin

QuoteI can't remember if that was Les Stroud (Survivorman) of Bear Gryls (Man vs Wild)

It was the ex UK Commando guy, but not everyone has seen that, and it's good advise, so I thought I'd post it.

ol'fido

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 07, 2009, 07:02:18 PM
QuoteI can't remember if that was Les Stroud (Survivorman) of Bear Gryls (Man vs Wild)

It was the ex UK Commando guy, but not everyone has seen that, and it's good advise, so I thought I'd post it.

Actually, it was Les Stroud in the Utah Canyon lands.

If you go out in areas with lots of poison ivy,oak, or sumac, take a non-drowsy Benadryl or other anti-histimine before you go. Also, upon returning from the woods, take a shower using Dawn dish wahing liquid first before you use your regular soap and shampoo. If you are hypertensive, consult your doctor before you take any anti-histimine.  Also, be careful of the smoke of any wood that might have one of the poisonous plants on it. You can get it from this too.

The biggest problem I see with cadets and some seniors in firemaking is not putting it out but in getting it going. Three big logs and a can of Coleman may get you some flame but not a fire. Take some time to gather tinder, kkindling, and finally, fuel wood. Keep your fire small to be warm all over. Big fires singe your eyebrows and freeze your rear echelon. And finally, remember, you cook over the coals not the flame.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Flying Pig

Carry a couple of 9 volt batteries and some steel wool.  Rub the posts of the battery on the steel wool and watch the lava flow.  But keep in mind it ruins the batteries pretty quick.  So dont pull them out of your flashlight and expect them to work later.

gistek

I've been really successful using dryer lint from a load of towels and cottons. Lint from blended fabrics doesn't work as well.

You can really improve the amount of warmth from even a small fire by selecting a site where you are between the fire and something solid, like a rock wall or a fallen log.

Rob Sherlin

I get confused from the two guys since I watch both when I can. Lot's of helpfull advise, with exception of jumping on the back of an Aligator in the Louisiana swamps, severing it's spine, using the meat for food, the fat for insect repellant, and skin for rope........Yeah! Like I'm going to go jump on an 8ft. American Aligator!
  The advise for the poison oak, ivy, was great because you can pretty much find it everywhere! I prefer to just stay away from it, but you never know. What does the Benadryl do?

gistek

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Benadryl blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in the body

Taking it ahead of time can reduce the severity of an allergic reaction.

SarDragon

But don't forget the Benadryl mantra regarding its most significant side effect - "Take a Benadryl, take a nap." Gotta be real careful when using it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret