Main Menu

Safety Currency lapsed

Started by Rowan, August 01, 2011, 03:09:16 PM

Rowan

I forgot to do one of the elective safety briefings and so my safety currency lapsed the end of July.  Is this why I can't log into e-services?  If so, what do I do?

davedove

Mine lapsed at the end of July too, but I was able to log into eservices and take one of the safety presentations this morning.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

arajca

It appears eServices is down. You should be able to log in and take one of the online safety briefings, if nothing else.

Eclipse

Or will be fixed the next time someone properly enters a briefing.

If you do it online, I suggest "Cold Weather Safety"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2011, 03:28:51 PM

We don't have cold weather in San Diego.   ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on August 01, 2011, 05:14:12 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2011, 03:28:51 PM

We don't have cold weather in San Diego.   ;D

What he said!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dad2-4

My currency lapses on October 31 (12 days away) but there are no new briefings posted as a few minutes ago (12:24 am DST Wednesday).
Any idea on when new briefings get posted?

Short Field

^^^ There are currently 12 safety briefings on-line!  You only need to take one every other month to stay current - and that presumes you don't attend any meetings and pick up a in-person safety briefing.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 19, 2011, 05:25:55 AM
My currency lapses on October 31 (12 days away) but there are no new briefings posted as a few minutes ago (12:24 am DST Wednesday).
Any idea on when new briefings get posted?

Call your safety officer and get a phone brief...

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Dad2-4

Quote from: lordmonar on October 19, 2011, 06:47:56 AM
Can't you just re-do one?
I don't know. Never tried that, but I will. Can I?

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 19, 2011, 06:37:47 AM
HUGE long distance call.

Quote from: Short Field on October 19, 2011, 06:17:30 AM
^^^ There are currently 12 safety briefings on-line!  You only need to take one every other month to stay current - and that presumes you don't attend any meetings and pick up a in-person safety briefing.   
I've done all of them to date.

AirDX

You can redo any/all of them.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 19, 2011, 11:08:22 AM
HUGE long distance call.

Who pays long distance anymore?

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2011, 12:57:44 PM

That's exactly what I thought...I don't even pay long distance on my landline anymore.  I know weird...someone still has a landline.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I have a landline. Cell coverage at my house is spotty and my alarm system needs the connection. Still I have unlimited long distance.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2011, 01:12:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2011, 12:57:44 PM

That's exactly what I thought...I don't even pay long distance on my landline anymore.  I know weird...someone still has a landline.

I can't get my betrothed to give ours up, many because of 911, but also "because"...

But no one should be paying for domestic long distance anymore, whether it's cell, Skype, Voice, Vonage, whatever.  That's just like when you see
people complaining because their kids text too much and they get a huge bill every month.  I don't see how that's even possible two months in a row.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

I am pretty sure his call would not be domestic.

SARDOC

Quote from: ß τ ε on October 19, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
I am pretty sure his call would not be domestic.

Skype or Vonage work across the world.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 19, 2011, 11:08:22 AM
HUGE long distance call.

I'm going to go a different way then berating you for not having long distance or whatever...

I'm assuming that because you're abroad you're not participating right now - if not, why are you worried about safety? With the exception of Intro to CAP Safety, which you have already done, IIRC there's no requirement to be safety current if you're not doing anything - just that you must be safety current to show up at a CAP activity. Now, commanders being humans all interpret things differently, but personally I don't see why you have to do safety at all right now.

Eclipse

He's going to pop up on every safety report as non-current, which opens the unit up to the questions of "why"?

Someone abroad isn't likely to be contributing much to, or getting much back from CAP, so then the next question is why they are still considered active.
A 5-minute set of slides and a 5-minute test ends the discussion, why not just do it and move on?

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

or if they are inactive shift them to Patron member status until they return and get current.

SarDragon

Quote from: AirDX on October 19, 2011, 11:30:38 AM

There is used to be a time limit on how soon you can retake one. I screwed up and did a bunch all in one night, before I realized the limitation.

Well, I just looked again, and everything I've already passed is available again, including the latest one in August, so they might have changed the system.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2011, 03:13:42 PM
He's going to pop up on every safety report as non-current, which opens the unit up to the questions of "why"?
It would take an exceptionally anal person to not accept the answer of "because he is not attending any meetings or activities". 

The only case where higher headquarters should have an issue is if individuals who are not safety current are being allowed to attend meetings and other CAP activities.  I have seen some people (not in my unit or activities I am directing) who manage to be very active and are carried in the a 000 unit with no safety currency or intro to CAP safety.   
Wilson #2640

disamuel

I've been traveling for business and been unable to get an in-person briefing. To keep up to date I take an online AOPA safety class and send the course completion certificate to my commander, who then updates eServices. You can find the courses here:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

After the course when you are ready to print your certificate it will ask you for your pilot certificate #. You can enter your CAP ID as the number is only used on the printed certificate.

If National wants us to use the on-line CAP safety classes, then they really should put out at least one new one every other month.

SARDOC

Quote from: Short Field on October 20, 2011, 06:44:36 AM
It would take an exceptionally anal person to not accept the answer of "because he is not attending any meetings or activities". 

Unfortunately these are the very people I deal with.  I've had to move some people to patron status to get them off my books to appease them.  It's real easy to bring them back to active senior member status when they are ready.

Major Lord

I have a Senior Member, active duty USAF Capt. who is .......someplace sandy........but getting e-mail nasty-grams from the Sq. Can the SQ CD-S downgrade her membership because she is off making America safe for democracy?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

peter rabbit

Quote from: Major Lord on October 20, 2011, 07:48:23 PM
I have a Senior Member, active duty USAF Capt. who is .......someplace sandy........but getting e-mail nasty-grams from the Sq. Can the SQ CD-S downgrade her membership because she is off making America safe for democracy?

Major Lord
Check with Susie Parker at NHQ - there is a program in place for deployed members where their dues are paid or waived by NHQ. I don't know if it places them in a special membership category or not, but transferring them to Patron status puts everything 'on hold' and they can re-activate when they return.

disamuel

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2011, 01:26:00 AM
Quote from: AirDX on October 19, 2011, 11:30:38 AM

There is used to be a time limit on how soon you can retake one. I screwed up and did a bunch all in one night, before I realized the limitation.

Well, I just looked again, and everything I've already passed is available again, including the latest one in August, so they might have changed the system.

I can confirm this. I took "Downed Power Lines" a year ago, and I re-took it today, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the tip, it is a big help.

Short Field

Quote from: SARDOC on October 20, 2011, 07:27:51 PM
Quote from: Short Field on October 20, 2011, 06:44:36 AM

Unfortunately these are the very people I deal with.  I've had to move some people to patron status to get them off my books to appease them.  It's real easy to bring them back to active senior member status when they are ready.
Well....you just need to put your Cadet Safety Officer in charge of it!  Between the Squadron Cadet Safety Officer, the Wing Cadet Safety Officer, and the Region Cadet Safety Officer, they should be able to find a solution.
Wilson #2640

shywon

I wonder what would happen if the unit safety officer did not update anyone in the squadron one month. Would all members (including commander and safety officers) be locked out of eservices? Something to ponder...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: shywon on November 06, 2011, 09:50:15 AM
I wonder what would happen if the unit safety officer did not update anyone in the squadron one month. Would all members (including commander and safety officers) be locked out of eservices? Something to ponder...

Yes, but you just do an online one to get back in. It's simple enough to update in eServices that I don't know why you wouldn't do it.

a2capt

Quote from: shywon on November 06, 2011, 09:50:15 AMI wonder what would happen if the unit safety officer did not update anyone in the squadron one month. Would all members (including commander and safety officers) be locked out of eservices? Something to ponder...
You're not actually locked out, just that you can't do much else but say "Yes" to the Safety review option. 

..and with it nagging you starting 15 days prior to the end date, I have pushed to have our monthly briefing at the beginning of the month rather than near the end so that cadets using eServices for testing do not have to get hassled by it. That is, of course, if they don't miss the meeting and have to use an online course anyway.