Main Menu

MRE's - Where to buy?

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 17, 2012, 09:08:45 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2012, 03:48:39 AM
Different strokes for different folks. They affect each person differently. I've never had any issues with them, other than some flavor/taste dislikes. Drinking more water helps the exit problem.

Ditto - never had any issues, prefer some over others, as to the "over water drop" issue, in most cases where I'm eating them, I'm not in a hurry to "release the demons", anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

You can buy all the MRE's you want from an Air Force dining facility as long as you have an MSA and identify all the people in your activity and the number of meals you will be providing to your happy campers. It is significantly less costly. On the lawful issue, had I known how evil it is for civilians to have Government issued MRE's, I guess I would have had to arrest all those Red Cross and Salvation Army people handing them out after hurricane Katrina. Those Red Cross people always seemed suspicious to me! Personally, if I never eat another MRE again as long as I live, I will be a happy panda. (Except the pound cake, and possibly the peanut butter)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

AngelWings

Quote from: Major Lord on July 18, 2012, 04:04:38 AM
You can buy all the MRE's you want from an Air Force dining facility as long as you have an MSA and identify all the people in your activity and the number of meals you will be providing to your happy campers. It is significantly less costly. On the lawful issue, had I known how evil it is for civilians to have Government issued MRE's, I guess I would have had to arrest all those Red Cross and Salvation Army people handing them out after hurricane Katrina. Those Red Cross people always seemed suspicious to me! Personally, if I never eat another MRE again as long as I live, I will be a happy panda. (Except the pound cake, and possibly the peanut butter)

Major Lord
K-rations is more like it  ;)

krnlpanick

All you need is TacBac - Shelf life of 10 years, each can contains 18 servings...

2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

cap235629

SOPAKCO gives CAP units special pricing of $59.00 per case (with heaters) plus shipping.  PM me for the details
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

caphornbuckle

Government Accountability Office Report on MRE sales on e-bay.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06410r.pdf

QuoteAs a result of unauthorized sales to civilians, DOD began requiring that "U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful," be printed on each case of MREs (see fig. 1).1 Furthermore, although no statutes or regulations specifically prohibit the sale of military MREs, DSCP's customer eligibility policy states that DOD regulations permit the sale of MREs to a limited number of organizations, including, among others, U.S. military organizations and federally funded activities.2 Consequently, servicemembers, federal civilian personnel, and contractors selling stolen MREs could face criminal charges related to theft of military property.3
Quote3 For laws applicable to military personnel, see U.C.M.J. Art. 108 (sale, loss, damage, destruction, or wrongful disposition of military property); Art. 121 (larceny and wrongful appropriation); and Art. 134 (stolen property: knowingly receiving, buying, or concealing). For laws applicable to civilian personnel and contractors, see 18 U.S.C. § 641 (taking public money, property, or records).

Edited to add foot note
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

SarDragon

Of particular note:

"As a result of unauthorized sales to civilians, DOD began requiring that "U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful," be printed on each case of MREs (see fig. 1). Furthermore, although no statutes or regulations specifically prohibit the sale of military MREs, DSCP's customer eligibility policy states that DOD regulations permit the sale of MREs to a limited number of organizations, including, among others, U.S. military organizations and federally funded activities. Consequently, servicemembers, federal civilian personnel, and contractors selling stolen MREs could face criminal charges related to theft of military property." [footnote numbers redacted to improve readability]

So, if a civilian vendor obtains MREs legally, he may sell them, despite any markings to the contrary.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Yep.

It is on the order of most "hold harmless" letters....makes the lawyers feel better....but have little or no legal standing.

The effort was to stop unit supply NCO's taking a pallets worth of MRE down to the local surplus store to make some extra cash....not stopping the surplus store from ordering them from the contractor and selling them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirDX

Gotta be at the right place at the right time - we just picked up four pallets of MREs dated 7/2012 from our local FEMA warehouse.  They'll take good care of our field and emergency needs for a year or two. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

im_not_a_sir

why are they always so expensive? ???

im_not_a_sir

Quote from: krnlpanick on July 18, 2012, 04:19:15 AM
All you need is TacBac - Shelf life of 10 years, each can contains 18 servings...

this would be good, but it doesn't serve a full meal, is there some else to go with it 8)

Eclipse

Quote from: im_not_a_sir on August 22, 2012, 04:49:07 PM
why are they always so expensive?

Define "expensive".

You can't eat a meal anywhere but in your home for less then $5 (even at home you'll probably come close to that).

An MRE is specially prepared food to be made simple and easy to eat in the field, with a shelf-life of 1-3 years (in normal use).
They also generally include a way to heat themselves.

You should not be paying more then about $8 each for an MRE.  If you are, you're paying for the convenience of having it handy, or
not shopping very well.

"That Others May Zoom"

devone529

OK, all this talk of USED MRE's, where can i get NEW MRE's?
"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." — Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: devone529 on October 26, 2012, 11:35:33 AM

Online. [lmgtfy]MRE[/lmgtfy]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: devone529 on October 26, 2012, 11:35:33 AM

Enlist, you'll get all you can stand. >:D

Nikos

Meyers Custom Supply

I have bought from him for a few years now.  All of the MREs are new from the mfg.

SARDOC

[lmgtfy]Meals ready to eat[/lmgtfy]

devone529

www.thereadystore.com ITS THE BEST rather cheap, and who would say no to a BBQ BEEF SAMWICH
"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." — Winston Churchill

Garibaldi

Quote from: devone529 on October 28, 2012, 02:10:31 AM
www.thereadystore.com ITS THE BEST rather cheap, and who would say no to a BBQ BEEF SAMWICH

It's SAMMICH! And only Heck Yeah!!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

devone529

Stupid question, but AlaskaRocks, do you live in Alaska, and if so, they have a Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program or ar you a senior?