The President's Volunteer Service Award

Started by Capt Rivera, January 16, 2008, 03:59:09 PM

Capt Rivera

http://www.presidentialserviceawards.org/

To me it seems like this award provides national recognition for things CAP members might be doing. Writing the presidents volunteer service award on a resume vs commanders commendation might help. (That is if your commanders actually bother to nominate you, "to much paper work") Both would probably be better of course.

My point is, this award has things some of a CAP awards don't. IE, if you get Gold, expect to be in the news paper, thats really not the case for most CAP awards. and again, people recognize it even if they don't know what it is, It had good advertising during the state of the union.

So my question is why isn't CAPNHQ a leadership Organization?
Leadership Organizations List:
http://www.presidentialserviceawards.org/tg/pvsainfo/dspBrandedList.cfm

Why aren't more/any squadrons/wings/regions Certifying Organizations?

other positives/negatives??? etc? 

By the way i used commanders commendation as an example, not saying they are equal or should be given for the same things, its just the 1st CAP award that came to mind.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Pylon

Quote from: riveraj on January 16, 2008, 03:59:09 PM
http://www.presidentialserviceawards.org/

To me it seems like this award provides national recognition for things CAP members might be doing. Writing the presidents volunteer service award on a resume vs commanders commendation might help. (That is if your commanders actually bother to nominate you, "to much paper work") Both would probably be better of course.

My point is, this award has things some of a CAP awards don't. IE, if you get Gold, expect to be in the news paper, thats really not the case for most CAP awards. and again, people recognize it even if they don't know what it is, It had good advertising during the state of the union.

So my question is why isn't CAPNHQ a leadership Organization?
Leadership Organizations List:
http://www.presidentialserviceawards.org/tg/pvsainfo/dspBrandedList.cfm

Why aren't more/any squadrons/wings/regions Certifying Organizations?

other positives/negatives??? etc? 

By the way i used commanders commendation as an example, not saying they are equal or should be given for the same things, its just the 1st CAP award that came to mind.

I signed our Group HQ up as a certifying organization a few years back when I was Group CP, but didn't get the time to do it.  It theoretically involves a lot of hour tracking, which can be intensive when you're talking about dozens of members in a unit.  Yes, as a certifying org., you could ignore the hour tracking portion of the program since you're the checkpoint for that piece, and guesstimate hours of service using meeting & activity attendance - but again, a lot of work nonetheless.

A great award for your committed volunteers?  Sure.  It would look nice on the wall.   :)

I agree that Civil Air Patrol NHQ should be a leadership org, though.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

I listed my SQD as an Org.  When I saw NHQ was not listed, I figured no one there wanted to be bothered, so I took initiative.  What is sad is you can just order the pins, and Commendation letters in like 3 minutes, and "guesstimate hours".  I think they cost $3.00 per package.  I got Cadets and Officers all four types of awards.  It is something that should have been ongoing at NHQ since the program came out.

There are other places CAP is not listed, that truly represents what our volunteers do.  Why after 7 years CAP still is not listed in the Call to Volunteer Service from the White House website is mind blowing?!?!

I think those that should be doing this type of work at NHQ are really lacking!  It took me 5 minutes to register.  It would have taken NHQ 5 minutes to register.  Man............

That now brings me to the Combined Federal Campaign.  Why is CAP still not listed as an organization in it's publications??  They list Boy Scouts, and other less well-known org's....why not CAP?
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 16, 2008, 05:38:40 PMThat now brings me to the Combined Federal Campaign.  Why is CAP still not listed as an organization in it's publications??  They list Boy Scouts, and other less well-known org's....why not CAP?

I'm guessing because CAP, until recently, has not had (or had very invisible to me) Development staff.  The CFC is a great opportunity to gain some needed bucks, but the paperwork is fairly involved.  I prepared the CFC paperwork for the 501(c)(3) I work for in 2006, and I think it took me a few full work days to get all the documentation, letters, signatures, and collateral material together to send the pile (yes, a pile) of papers to qualify us. 

That's not an excuse for CAP not being on the CFC list.  CAP (well, now the CAP Foundation) really needs to be on there.   But hopefully now that CAP has development professionals working at the national level, we'll see some of these things fall into place.  Almost makes you wonder, though, if someone ought to suggest it to NHQ nonetheless... in case they "didn't think of it".  I'll add "Become a Leadership Org for the Presidential Service Awards, and become a part of the CFC for 2008" to my Vision 2008 list.   ;)

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on January 16, 2008, 06:20:02 PM
Almost makes you wonder, though, if someone ought to suggest it to NHQ nonetheless... in case they "didn't think of it".

I think you just did!  It would be a huge monetary benefit.  I know for 2 months the CFC posters and pamphlets are platered all over the FED Govt.  If we even got $15,000 it is well worth any effort on NHQ's part. 

I feel for you.....setting up the CFC initially is much paper-work involved!  However, NHQ lives on an AFB, they can "borrow" apps and pre-filled forms from the CAP-USAF side and change what needs to be changed.  They would most likely be able to get it all done in 1 day.  I would bet you did yours by yourself, and had to track down everything the apps asked for.  NHQ can walk over to any finance section on base and probably get them to help them out even. 

I tottally expect to see CAP in the CFC 2008. 

Anyway back to the PVSA........

Good way to reward our SQD Members, both Cadet and Senior  OFFICER

What's up monkeys?

Pylon

So what's the best way to estimate hours for volunteers who have been in for 5, 10 or 15 years?

How do you count encampments?  24 hours/day if they stay there?  12-14 hours/day for the time they're awake?

How do you estimate time worked from home for commanders, finance officers, etc?

Anybody have ideas or methods they've used?

mikeylikey

^ I counted half of an Officers time at the SQD, half of their time on Missions and all of their time in CAP specific schools.

As far as Cadet went, I counted all of their time at Encampments, CLS ETC. (but only one week's worth for the entire year, so if they did ENC and CLS and HAWK, they only got 1 weeks worth).    Half of their time at the SQD and 1/3 of their time on Missions.

And I always subtracted 8 hours off of each day that a Cadet or Officer was at an overnight activity, whether ENC or CLS or CLC or SLS.  Sleeping....right!

It all depends on how "quickly" you want your members to be awarded. 

In closing, I only did a member for 1 year at a time.  Those with 10-25 years, well....no program until a few years ago, so sorry!  They can continue to build up their time.  Plus I think the program only allows you to go back 12 months before you signed up to count hours?
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Mine wing is doing this at the wing level and covering the cost of the awards, which is nice, though I haven't heard anything on this in a bit, and the list is somewhat of a moving target.

What I would like to see is CAP adopt a specific calendar for accumulating awards, just so everyone is on the same page.

As to the lifetime awards?  Well, they clearly say they are for past service and cumulative, so why not just submit them?

"That Others May Zoom"

Bear Walling

Can you wear the PVSA lapel pin on your uniform? I signed up and counted all my volunteer fire department responses sine 2003, and I am eligible for the Gold. It would be kinda cool to wear on the uniform.

RiverAux

Pylon

Quote from: mfd_324 on January 20, 2008, 12:11:24 AM
Can you wear the PVSA lapel pin on your uniform? I signed up and counted all my volunteer fire department responses sine 2003, and I am eligible for the Gold. It would be kinda cool to wear on the uniform.

Since one appropriate lapel pin is allowed with the blazer combination, it would be fitting to wear the PVSA pin if/when you wear the blazer uniform.  Other uniforms, CAPM 39-1 prohibits it.

ElectricPenguin

I came across this award while signing up for the blood center nearby, this looks awsome. I just need to find if there are some regs for this in CAP...

SarDragon

Did you realize that this thread is almost four years olde? Did you read the whole thing?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SarDragon on November 03, 2011, 12:09:54 AM
Did you realize that this thread is almost four years olde? Did you read the whole thing?

I found it while looking on yahoo. Thanks for pointing it out, explains why I never saw it before.

SAR-EMT1

And as far as I know NHQ is STILL not signed up !  :(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 04, 2011, 02:14:26 AM
And as far as I know NHQ is STILL not signed up !  :(

Well this sucks!!! I have to  Want to do all this volunteer time anyways. I would hate to ask someone in my squadron to sign up as an organization, seeing as people here do enough. :o But the good thing is, if all of CAP does it, then it has less meaning. Airshows give a TON of time.  ;D

----
Just noticed, the way things are worded on the website, it looks like the volunteers don't directly pay for the pins? Might be why CAP isn't more involved?

Eclipse

NHQ is a sponsoring agency, as are most wings, a lot of groups, and many units (it took me 5 minutes to sign up my group).

The person receiving the award is the person who pays for it any pins, etc.  The sponsoring group can certainly pay for the
awards, but regardless they are not "free".  My wing was very excited about this, until they realized it was going to cost
over $5000 the first round to "award" everyone at all levels they would be "eligible", and in the end, what's the point?
Self-certified, self-funded awards don't get most people too excited.

Unless you have a hole in your wall the size of a certificate, and $5 in your pocket not better spent on a Slurpee and a Burrito,
I'd suggest not bothering.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2011, 12:50:22 AMUnless you have a hole in your wall the size of a certificate, and $5 in your pocket not better spent on a Slurpee and a Burrito,

Sure, but if you have some squadron funds left over and dedicated members you need to award this makes for one cool banquet agenda item.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 06, 2011, 02:26:50 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2011, 12:50:22 AMUnless you have a hole in your wall the size of a certificate, and $5 in your pocket not better spent on a Slurpee and a Burrito,

Sure, but if you have some squadron funds left over and dedicated members you need to award this makes for one cool banquet agenda item.

CAP already has awards for people who do good work and put in extra effort, your impact and reaction will be much better
handing someone an Achievement or Comm Comm than a PVSA "participation pin".  If you're gonna drop $5 a person for a "thank you"
buy a bag of american flag pins and stick them to a Starbuck's gift certificate.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Would five dollars at Starshmucks be enough to actually purchase anything?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 09, 2011, 07:03:09 PM

Um, yes.  How about a full breakfast?

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on November 09, 2011, 07:08:01 PM

Many will think I'm twisted but I find their little sausage biscuits quite tasty and affordable.
:)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: john_Bowers on November 09, 2011, 07:09:57 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 09, 2011, 07:08:01 PM

Many will think I'm twisted but I find their little sausage biscuits quite tasty and affordable.
:)

I guess Central Illinois is just cursed then. The shops in this area do not serve breakfast.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Eclipse

Their sandwiches are pretty good, but I really like the oatmeal which is a nice occasional change, especially on the road.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret