Main Menu

1st CAP Meeting

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, May 05, 2009, 05:11:27 AM

C/MSgt Lunsford

Thanks. Don't want to act like a butt the first few days on CAP Talk.  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

Just a suggestion...

Since you are very new in the program, try to learn as much as you can and keep an open mind when people try to correct or explain/teach you something. A single meeting and technically not even a member yet is not enough experience to start debating with people who have probably been in CAP longer than you have been alive. I'm not trying to jump down your throat or anything, but just try to keep an open mind when you are being corrected about CAP information- until you have sufficient experience and factual references (such as actual regulations, etc) to debate otherwise.

All this being said, you seem very eager to join CAP and I applaud you for that. Keep up the motivation, get involved, and be a sharp Cadet. Welcome to CAP! :)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

C/MSgt Lunsford

Thanks DBlair. I know. I am a natural born debater, and I need to control that especially when you guys know what you are talking about. Sorry, I sorta got out of control.  :(

Wright Brothers #13915

LtCol Hooligan

Don't worry, encampment will fix the debating with you real quick  ;D.  Just giving you grief- in all seriousness, there is so much in CAP that it is important to just take the first several months to learn all you can.  Listen and learn.

Now, here is some help that I give to my new cadets.  Curt and Joe have really stepped things up at NHQ:

Cadet Super Form-http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/index.cfm/announcing_the_cadet_super_chart_17

New Cadet Help- http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on May 06, 2009, 02:19:54 PM
Don't worry, encampment will fix the debating with you real quick  ;D.  Just giving you grief- in all seriousness, there is so much in CAP that it is important to just take the first several months to learn all you can.  Listen and learn.

Now, here is some help that I give to my new cadets.  Curt and Joe have really stepped things up at NHQ:

Cadet Super Form-http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/index.cfm/announcing_the_cadet_super_chart_17

New Cadet Help- http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/

Thanks. That Super Chart really clears things up for me  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Well. Today was my second meeting. I gave my application to my Commanding Officer and now I am a proud member of CAP. Yay. Thanks guys for the advice and so forth before I joined, I really impressed my CO with the information I have researched and learned before hand. Thank.  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

IceNine

Sorry to burst the bubble BUT...

Congratulations on handing in your application, you are now an official applicant for membership.

The real fun comes when your application gets accepted by NHQ and you get listed as a member. You'll get a nifty membership card, eventually some books, and if you ask nicely you may get a brand new set of blues.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

C/MSgt Lunsford

Oh boy. Ok. Well I should have it by next week. (ID and Portfolio w/textbook)

Wright Brothers #13915

Spike

Don't listen to IceNine.  Welcome to CAP!  You should have a great time at your Squadron.  It is one of the Best Units in CAP.  Your Squadron Commander has worked very hard for a very long time to create an excellent unit, with great programs and a superior corps of Cadets and Senior Members (Officers).

Keep coming back to CAPTALK to let us know how you are progressing, and what you learn in the program. 

------------------------------------------------------------

(It is great to see such enthusiasm from a new member, lets not squash it here trying to be "smart, coy and cynical) 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

IceNine

Quote from: Spike on May 13, 2009, 03:24:52 AM

Keep coming back to CAPTALK to let us know how you are progressing, and what you learn in the program. 

------------------------------------------------------------

(It is great to see such enthusiasm from a new member, lets not squash it here trying to be "smart, coy and cynical)

Enthusiasm unfortunately is not conducive to realistic expectations.  Unrealistic expectations cause hurt feelings and sour milk, or something like that
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spike

Quote from: IceNine on May 13, 2009, 03:35:22 AM
Enthusiasm unfortunately is not conducive to realistic expectations.  Unrealistic expectations cause hurt feelings and sour milk, or something like that

True, but surely we can make the argument that this Cadet will have no issues with NHQ as the SQD Commander vouches for him meeting the criteria to join.  Unless Mom or Dad's check bounces, or the Social Security Number brings up multiple warrants for his arrest in some unknown database somewhere he should be treated as though he were a member.

Lets also remember he can print a temporary Card from E-Services as soon as he shows up on the "books", until his real card arrives. 

We all could be so lucky to get a Cadet so excited about CAP he or she Joins CAPTALK before they even attend a meeting.  CAPTALK is a great place to learn the good, bad and (unfortunately) ugly about our organizations.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Yup. I finally got to do some drills. Really exciting. We played something called "Knockout". That was exciting too. I was the first one out, but all is good. :)

Wright Brothers #13915

USADOD

Spike beat me to it :clap:
Quote from: IceNine on May 13, 2009, 03:11:24 AM
Sorry to burst the bubble BUT...

Congratulations on handing in your application, you are now an official applicant for membership.

The real fun comes when your application gets accepted by NHQ and you get listed as a member. You'll get a nifty membership card, eventually some books, and if you ask nicely you may get a brand new set of blues.

unfortunately, this is true. You are a official candidate, not a official CAP member yet. While im sure as noted their should be no problem clearing your application at NHQ, but their are reason for delays and denials(never seen one) and assumption is never a good thing. Hence, Early welcoming and as a hint once mailed it usually takes four(4) days before your posted in the NHQ system. Once your in the system you will be able to log into eService at http://www.capnhq.gov where you will be able to print a temporary membership card for proof of membership until your Hard membership card is received by mail.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

BTCS1*

Fun game, many names for it though. Played it at my squadron earlier, I love standing behind cadets then calling about face. The expressions on the cadets face is priceless, even better if they get supprised and knock into another cadet! :P
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

C/MSgt Lunsford

Hey all, I finally got my CAP ID today. Along with my Blues, and other important stuff.  :D

All I have to do is Wait for the Snail Mail to deliver my boots from Spike. (Thanks again Spike) .

Wright Brothers #13915

MIKE

Mike Johnston

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ah. Sorry about that again. I guess I will keep posting updates in this thread.  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

BTCS1*

Congratulations! You are now a member!
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

C/MSgt Lunsford

Had PT today.  :(

32 in - Sit & Reach
16 - Push Ups (I know I am horrible)
10.3 sec - Shuttle Run
40 - Sit and Reach

Thanks for everyones support, I am just waiting for the good 'ol Blues.  :D

Wright Brothers #13915