Rifle bearer for Color Guard- HELP!

Started by stargazer, February 15, 2005, 08:24:19 PM

stargazer

My squadrons Color Guard has fallen apart over the past year. At last weeks meeting we were told that we needed to get a Color Guard together for a performance for Gen. Paul Tibbits Bday (pilot of the Enola Gay). So we threw one together... problem is, I got stuck with the rifle. I'm pretty good with the rifle, but I don't have the strength to carry it for long periods of time. I've been trying to build up the strength in my arms so I can carry the rifle, but my arms are killing me. It hurts like everything to pick up the rifle. Does anyone have some suggestions for me?
Maggie Minton, C/Capt
Mitchell 52002
Earhart 13112

MIKE

Quote from: stargazer on February 15, 2005, 08:24:19 PM
I got stuck with the rifle. I'm pretty good with the rifle, but I don't have the strength to carry it for long periods of time. I've been trying to build up the strength in my arms so I can carry the rifle, but my arms are killing me. It hurts like everything to pick up the rifle. Does anyone have some suggestions for me?

You could try "Physical Drills" with the rifle you will be carrying for the proformance(s)... Get permission to sign the rifle out and be responsible for it between meeetings... Obviously this may not be possible if you are training with deactivated firearms, but might be OK if you are using facsimile rifles.

Physical Drills are similar to calisthenics and stretching routines but you do them with the rifle... In time this should help you get used to the weight.   Again... This takes time and effort on your part... If this is a one time emergency CG event it probably isn't worth it given the time constraints.

IMO, as a cadet officer you should be training cadet airmen for this function and instructing them in these physical drills rather than participating in the color guard yourself... But given personnel and time issues such emergency measures must be taken.
Mike Johnston

Schmidty06

Go to the gym and pump iron.  Isometric exercises might help.

stargazer

Quote from: MIKE on February 15, 2005, 09:52:05 PM
IMO, as a cadet officer you should be training cadet airmen for this function and instructing them in these physical drills rather than participating in the color guard yourself... But given personnel and time issues such emergency measures must be taken.
We are trying to get some airmen interested in Color Guard so we can start competing again... but until then, I guess we'll just have to make do with who we have. Thanks for the suggestions :)
Maggie Minton, C/Capt
Mitchell 52002
Earhart 13112

The Admiral

If it isn't too late to respond, ask your commander to do the performance at shoulder arms.  I have noticed this helps a lot.  Also, instead of holding the rifle at a 45 degree angle to the ground, my colorguard holds the rifles at "left eye, right thigh."  It looks much more professional and easier on your arms.

Hope it helped!

-C/SSgt Thorderson
Cross into the Blue!

A1Steaksauce

How did you get on a color guard if your an officer?

C/SMSgt Kale Auger
NER-VT-009

MIKE

Quote from: Auger on March 07, 2006, 11:43:06 PM
How did you get on a color guard if your an officer?

Other than the NCGC ROE, Officers on color guard is not prohited... But it is certainly not preferred per AFMAN 36-2203.
Mike Johnston

Chris Jacobs

I used to have to work on holding my hand gun up for long periods of time when i was shooting competitively a few years ago.  The trick that i used was to get 5 pound free weights and hold them out like a pistol.  Every night i would try to hold it out longer than the night before.  Before long i could hold my pistol up with no problem for long periods of time completely steady and my scores shot up (no pun intendend).  You could do the same thing with your rifle.  Replace your rifle with heavier weights and try to hold it longer every night.  You will be amazed at what just a week will do for you.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron