SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BFreemanMA

Outstanding! I have to be sure to see that. I always thought the Connies were a remarkable aircraft. They just don't make them like that anymore (for better or worse!).
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Flying Pig

I just walked through Columbine III yesterday at Wright-Patterson.

PHall

The original AF 1 is the only presidental aircraft that is not in a museum.

JacobAnn

Quote from: PHall on May 09, 2015, 02:34:41 AM
The original AF 1 is the only presidental aircraft that is not in a museum.

And it should be in my opinion.  People should be able to view history.

SarDragon

According to the article, the plan is to restore it, then fly it around, like they do with Fifi.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

I'm wondering why it isn't in a museum.  I believe the one that's at The AF museum had more use.  It was also used by MacAurther.  That museum is Pretty jam packed.  There's definitely not any more room for a Constellation.    But it is interesting that the first one is sitting in the desert. Raw deal!

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 10, 2015, 01:57:04 PM
I'm wondering why it isn't in a museum.  I believe the one that's at The AF museum had more use.  It was also used by MacAurther.  That museum is Pretty jam packed.  There's definitely not any more room for a Constellation.    But it is interesting that the first one is sitting in the desert. Raw deal!

As with all museum discussions, it's all about money. When organizers can come up with adequate sources, good things happen. If not, things just corrode away. Kinda like the line from "The Right Stuff", "no bucks, no Buck Rogers."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

The national Air Force museum chose columbine III over columbine I to display.  Just wonder why?

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2015, 12:18:00 PM
The national Air Force museum chose columbine III over columbine I to display.  Just wonder why?

Because Ike had it for about 6 years?

SarDragon

The plane we are discussing is Columbine II.

Columbine I was not a presidential aircraft. It  was one assigned to him as a 5 star Army General, and currently resides at the museum in Pima, Arizona.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Probably more in need of restoration, therefore a money pit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

chief2