Specialty track training programs

Started by Hawk200, December 10, 2009, 08:27:11 PM

Would a training program for each specialty track be useful?

Yes
No

Hawk200

Thought I'd pose it as a poll, "Yes" and "No" are pretty simple answers.

We've got the online Officer Course, most of the ICS stuff is online, and we've got Online quizzes for a couple of specialty tracks.

How about a training course online for each specialty track?

Maybe consolidate the CAP University into a standalone website (such as www.capuniversity.com, as an example), require a login, have a training course for each and every specialty track out there. Use the training pamphlets as a guideline/outline for each course so the established criteria is used. Add additional stuff that a member should know for their track.

Not sure how to limit someone taking everything under the sun, but that's a question for later.

Eclipse

I said yes, for at least the baseline knowledge, though its really all there in the pamphlets.

I don't know why you would want to limit access if people want to spend their time learning.  I would even open it up to cadets.

The online instruction could replace the "none" level of rating and serve as a prereq.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

I would use these courses to provide information on the Knowledge portions of the tracks, and not to say "Take course, earn rating". As for limiting access, make it so the member has to be enrolled in a track to take the courses for that track, and limit them to the rating they are working on. Sure, you'll still have the member that wants to learn it all and whose commander will sign them up for every track, but they'll be a very small minority. Besides, what's wrong with taking training like that even if you're not in the particular position?

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2009, 08:34:04 PMI don't know why you would want to limit access if people want to spend their time learning.  I would even open it up to cadets.

Good point. The login isn't for the purpose of restricting people, but to track completion. I guess if cadets wanted to take it, there's really no reason for them not to do so.

Quote from: arajca on December 10, 2009, 08:48:07 PM
I would use these courses to provide information on the Knowledge portions of the tracks, and not to say "Take course, earn rating". As for limiting access, make it so the member has to be enrolled in a track to take the courses for that track, and limit them to the rating they are working on. Sure, you'll still have the member that wants to learn it all and whose commander will sign them up for every track, but they'll be a very small minority. Besides, what's wrong with taking training like that even if you're not in the particular position?

The only reason I can think of limiting is to have someone focus on their assigned track, and not just taking courses willy nilly. Do the one relating to your job first, work from there. It could easily be set up to allow access based on assignments, to include assistant positions.

WheelsUp

In my short time with CAP, I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of training issues - from orientation through specialty ratings and higher levels - need to be consolidated on one Website (I like the "capuniversity.com" idea).

I feel as if I've been bouncing all over trying to find the materials I need for my specialty track (Scanner, in my case), and I find a lot of CAP's current on-line training to not be terribly intuitive or 'user-friendly.'

I also like the idea of a management system set up that directs the user to go to the next course for his/her chosen specialty track, in that it would keep that person pointed in the right direction and not going "willy-nilly."

We might be on to something here. (Not that the higher-ups will necessarily take notice...)
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

Hawk200

Quote from: WheelsUp on December 11, 2009, 04:12:07 AMI feel as if I've been bouncing all over trying to find the materials I need for my specialty track (Scanner, in my case), and I find a lot of CAP's current on-line training to not be terribly intuitive or 'user-friendly.'

Actually, scanner is not a specialty track, it's an Emergency Services qualification. Specialty tracks are things like Personnel, Supply, Cadet Programs, Operations, Safety. There is an Emergency Services track which holding a Scanner qual would help with.

Major Carrales

An expanded "curriculum" run at meetings prior to SARex and other training is the way to go.  You know, our meetings are for more than just the needed squadron business...effective deployment is possible only if the creed "proficiency over currency" is applied.

If there was a training process that allowed for 1) "training for the training" in a structured setting guided by a curriculum, 2) continued refresher/best practices sessions and classes and 3) other pedagogical practices. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DogCollar

Maybe Chappie would have some more insight into this, but the Chaplains NEW specialty track training is suppose to be on-line.  At least that was the idea back in January when the Professional Development rules for Chaplains changed.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

WheelsUp

Hawk: I stand corrected in my terminology (yes, I'm still a newbie). That said, I still advocate for a "one-stop-shop" that caters to all specialty tracks and other training needs.

I know that just like the Army, I'll get used to CAP's unique structures and programs. But the relatively mild frustrations I've had are echoed by my fellow newbies as well.
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

Hawk200

Quote from: WheelsUp on December 11, 2009, 07:35:42 PM
Hawk: I stand corrected in my terminology (yes, I'm still a newbie). That said, I still advocate for a "one-stop-shop" that caters to all specialty tracks and other training needs.

Nothing to worry about, you'd probably be surprised how many people think scanner, ground team, and mission staff actually are specialty tracks. It's the kind of thing that occurs where your fellow squadron members who have been around for awhile have not sat down and explained the program. Too many long timers get the idea of "everybody knows where to find stuff", and it's a bad concept.

Quote from: WheelsUp on December 11, 2009, 07:35:42 PM
I know that just like the Army, I'll get used to CAP's unique structures and programs. But the relatively mild frustrations I've had are echoed by my fellow newbies as well.

I've been in three components of the military, and CAP's programs are definitely unique. No real mentorship is setup for the organization as a whole. Some units have them, but it varies widely. the local unit has people take the ECI-13 as a class, but there are other things that are lacking. There's nothing like basic training or boot camp that covers things like the military does.

Our programs have a long way to go. But I think we can improve our programs and make our program something great.

High Speed Low Drag

I agree, I agree, I agree.    When I first came back to CAP, eServices, GOCAP, etc intimidated me.  A one-stop-shop would be great for all training needs.

Also, it seems like you have to consult 33 different things to complete one training task.  I think it is a great idea.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Hawk200

At the time of this post, 35 people voted yes, 1 voted no. Wonder who said no, and what they're reasons were.