Squadron Legal Officer Duties?

Started by PhoenixRisen, May 26, 2009, 09:57:49 PM

PhoenixRisen

I've got a Cadet who's father is interested in joining.  He is an attorney, and I'm aware that if you posess the proper qualifications (which he does), you would be eligible for advancement to Captain.  What I'm having trouble locating are the duties and responsibilities of a squadron legal officer.  I've never met, nor heard of one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eclipse

I've got one, and the short answer is there isn't much they can do.

The one thing mine has helped with is securing music rights for videos, beyond that he usually says that he has to defer to Wing or NHQ.  The fact that a unit or group CC can't sign a contract pretty much negates how effective or necessary a unit legal officer can be.

Mine is also active in ES, and came to the position before I took command.  Based on my experience I would probably not appoint one today. 

About the lowest level an JAG can have much to do is the wing, which doesn't preclude him from participating at your son's unit as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

caplegalnc

Read CAPR 111-1.  It will give some guidance and information.  There is an interim update out and a new CAPR111-1 on the way.  The client of the CAP Legal Officer is the Corporation.  The Legal Officer is a great asset to have when things go south, or better yet, to advise to prevent problems.
Chief Justice
NC-019

Eclipse

Also, depending on your wing, you may not have the option of assigning one.

There was a move a few years to have all Legal officers assigned to the Wing level, mine was allowed to stay as "TDY", but many had to move.

Depends how he wing interpreted the memos.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Roger.  Thank you for the information, gentlemen.  I'll check into those ASAP.

capchiro

By all means, recruit him.  Approval must come from Wing, but with the proper credentials, it should be no problem.   His client will be National, but that's not all bad.  You can still use him for advice and he can often prevent a Commander from getting in trouble by doing something foolish or misinterpreting the Reg's.  He can do more than one job, such as ES or Comm or whatever.  There is a really good and strong CAP legal network that he will enjoy.  He can turn to that for advice at anytime.  I have found the CAP legal officer organization very open and friendly.  There is a CAP legal college open this coming year and they are looking for attendees.   Location Dallas.  If you invite his input on a regular basis, you will be surprised at what a resource he can be.  If you would like, contact me or have him contact me off the board.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

capchiro

As an addendum, my wife, the Wing Legal Officer, just reminded me that there is always a lot of work to do and having squadron legal officers allows her to have other attorneys with other experiences to help in different areas.  By the way, the only person that can sign a contract for CAP is a corporate officer and the only corporate officer in the Wing is the Wing Commander.  At the recent CI, the Air Force was strongly encouraging recruiting more attorneys.  I guess they want us to stay legal. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Quote from: capchiro on May 27, 2009, 02:47:23 AMAt the recent CI, the Air Force was strongly encouraging recruiting more attorneys.  I guess they want us to stay legal.

Nah, its to make it easier to find them when we start rounding them up!    >:D

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: capchiro on May 27, 2009, 02:37:34 AM
He can do more than one job, such as ES or Comm or whatever.   

And that's another thing he said.  He'd be more than happy to take on another role in the squadron - so it looks like it'll work out perfectly.

ZigZag911

My experience has been that most officers coming into CAP from
a profession are happy to cntribute their expertise (medical, legal, chaplain) -- but generally have some other additional reason for joining -- an offsping who is a cadet, an interest in ES, aviation, and so forth

BTCS1*

I'm not gonna say any names but... if you are talking about a cadet from BTCS' dad then I know the cadet and his dad very well(since 3rd grade) and he is also an EMT, he's  also just a great guy. LOL. He likes ES also if this is who I'm thinking of.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 27, 2009, 03:37:51 AM
My experience has been that most officers coming into CAP from
a profession are happy to cntribute their expertise (medical, legal, chaplain) -- but generally have some other additional reason for joining -- an offsping who is a cadet, an interest in ES, aviation, and so forth

That's his main reason for wanting to join - but he's also heavily interested in helping us out in any way possible because we're a new squadron.  That's why he says he'd take on other duties, as well.

BTCS1*

Just curious, which squadron?(i can't see sigs on my phone)

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 27, 2009, 06:06:10 AM
Just curious, which squadron?(i can't see sigs on my phone)

Are you referring to me?

CA-803

Escondido Cadet Squadron 714, South Coast Group 7, California Wing  (Socal)

BTCS1*

Woah, that's weird, I have the same situation going on in NYC, I thought you may be from NYCG because of the similarities, and your username is a squadron in my group. Kinda funny.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 27, 2009, 06:27:20 AM
Woah, that's weird, I have the same situation going on in NYC, I thought you may be from NYCG because of the similarities, and your username is a squadron in my group. Kinda funny.

Oh, ah, nope.  Never lived in any city (let alone state) than San Diego.

(With "Phoenix" in my name, confusing, eh?)

SoCalCAPOfficer

I am the Squadron Commander of Hemet Ryan Sq 59.  I came into CAP as a Squadron Legal Officer.  The initial appointment to Captain was a nice perk.  However, I went ahead and went back and completed everything I needed to advance to Major under the normal promotion route,  SLS, CLC, ECI 13 as well as UCC.

While there are times certain legal advice may be needed at the Squadron level, those times are few and far between.  In order to get the most out of the CAP experience,  I believe that a Legal Officer should take other staff positions.  Many of us have been Squadron and Group Commanders.

I would highly recommend recruiting this gentleman as a Squadron Legal Officer and see what other interests he might have.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

DBlair

While we are on this topic, I had a quick question.

If a lawyer was a member of the bar in a state different than where the unit is located, could he still serve as the Legal Officer or does he need to be a member of the bar in that state?

Considering that he isn't actually 'practicing' law in the traditional manner in the unit's state, but rather just in an 'advising' capacity as a unit Legal Officer, would it be allowed?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Ned

^^ I don't know the CAP answer, but I will point out that giving legal advice is indeed practicing law, which normally requires a law license in the state in which it occurs.

Ned Lee
Former Legal Officer

Eclipse

...and the appointments and associated grade are based on being able to practice law, my assumption would be that just like an EMT, no license, no appointment.

As a commander I would not submit anyone at my level for the job without a license.

"That Others May Zoom"