Specialty Track Electronic Worksheets

Started by JC004, September 29, 2015, 07:44:38 PM

JC004

Does anyone have a set of electronic worksheets for specialty track progress tracking? 

Since there's no standard for electronic personnel files, I've experimented with it. 

I'm thinking about doing Google Drive spreadsheets that can be copied into the respective SM's electronic personnel record and tracked online - updated by the CC, Deputy, PDO, and member. 

There's definitely advantages to having a checklist that the MEMBER and the Professional Development staff can view at any time, update, and use to keep the member moving in their track(s).

We also have cadets who could use the sheets for Communications, IT, and ES.

Making them involves taking them from each track's pamphlet, and putting it in an easy-to-edit format.  I've done a few of them already, but they're a lot of work.

Example of one of my experimental sheets, which I made for one of our SMs as a trial:

TheSkyHornet

I'm just starting to plan on this idea, but haven't gotten a whole lot of work into it yet.

CC has been very adamant about using eServices reports to track all that. Personally, I'm not a fan. I like tracking things so I know exactly the step-by-step process people are completing things, whether they're general tasks or qualifications.

The issue is that it becomes one more thing to keep track of. Anyone want to be my assistant? The pay kinda sucks but the benefits are great!  ;D

JC004

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 29, 2015, 07:58:37 PM
I'm just starting to plan on this idea, but haven't gotten a whole lot of work into it yet.

CC has been very adamant about using eServices reports to track all that. Personally, I'm not a fan. I like tracking things so I know exactly the step-by-step process people are completing things, whether they're general tasks or qualifications.

The issue is that it becomes one more thing to keep track of. Anyone want to be my assistant? The pay kinda sucks but the benefits are great!  ;D

But eServices won't track progress in the track's tasks, which is highly annoying.

Quote from: JeffDG on September 29, 2015, 08:01:12 PM
A bit outdated, but I really like the format of this:

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/best-practices-exchange/?specialty_track_helper&show=entry&blogID=262

I remember those.  Way out of date now, but the format can be useful.  I discovered that most likely, a standard layout would be best.  They vary depending on the pamphlet. 

jdh

I just use a PDF of each form that is saved on my tablet. When its time to update something I just open the PDF and sign and date the entry and save the file again. But this seems like a much better idea and I will try it out.

Jaison009

I'm not very far into it but I have been working to do this in Excel. I am building a spreadsheet for each Specialty and there will be seperate tabs for Tech, Senior, Master with the duty requirements similar to what you have.

Quote from: JC004 on September 29, 2015, 07:44:38 PM
Does anyone have a set of electronic worksheets for specialty track progress tracking? 

Since there's no standard for electronic personnel files, I've experimented with it. 

I'm thinking about doing Google Drive spreadsheets that can be copied into the respective SM's electronic personnel record and tracked online - updated by the CC, Deputy, PDO, and member. 

There's definitely advantages to having a checklist that the MEMBER and the Professional Development staff can view at any time, update, and use to keep the member moving in their track(s).

We also have cadets who could use the sheets for Communications, IT, and ES.

Making them involves taking them from each track's pamphlet, and putting it in an easy-to-edit format.  I've done a few of them already, but they're a lot of work.

Example of one of my experimental sheets, which I made for one of our SMs as a trial:

JC004

I would love to use PDF for compatibility and standardization, but when most people don't have Professional, that doesn't help them.  It also doesn't make it easily accessible by the unit's PD staff, so they can see how to help the member, or update the personnel file.

My thought was that I could make a Drive folder accessible and people could add it to their Drive from there. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: JC004 on September 29, 2015, 08:05:06 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 29, 2015, 07:58:37 PM

But eServices won't track progress in the track's tasks, which is highly annoying.

Which is why I don't like using eServices as my tracking tool.

I'd like to pull up someone's file and see the criteria to reach the next grade or qual, and know when they completed each task and who signed them off.

I'm thinking of putting it on Google Drive and having each cadet be able to track their own file as a checklist rather than tracking what has already been completed on eServices. It's nice to know what else you need, not just the progress you have made so far.

I know this was a topic about specialty tracks, but it's definitely adaptable to other qualifying areas.

JeffDG

Quote from: JC004 on September 29, 2015, 08:30:02 PM
I would love to use PDF for compatibility and standardization, but when most people don't have Professional, that doesn't help them.  It also doesn't make it easily accessible by the unit's PD staff, so they can see how to help the member, or update the personnel file.

My thought was that I could make a Drive folder accessible and people could add it to their Drive from there.

The best way to do that with drive is create a Spreadsheet in drive, and make it "Read-Only" to everyone.  They can open it, and when they hit the "Make a Copy" option, it copies your template to their My Drive

arajca

I created the Excel spread sheet there. Initially, I did for my own use, but I had a number of folks asking for something similar. I haven't kept up with all the specialty track changes as there was a period I tried, but it seemed like there was something new every day, so I gave up. Besides, I had enough CAP hats on at the time.

If I recall, the password was CAP, if any one wants to have at updating the spread sheets.

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can make the new checklists into a fillable form. I may take a crack at a couple...

Added:
I spent about 10 minutes extracting the checklists and converting them to a fillable form that you can with the data for the LG track.

JC004

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 29, 2015, 08:37:56 PM
I know this was a topic about specialty tracks, but it's definitely adaptable to other qualifying areas.

I'm making experimental files for myself and one other person for now, so I am interested in all personnel record items.  Since I have a lot of Participation Letters, certificates, qualifications, renewals on things, awards, etc., my file is good as an experiment.  That way, I can take into account different issues that might pop up (like how to name the files, what to do about large certificates, etc).  I've been giving thought to things like how to add things to the file that lack paperwork (an -of the Year Award started that, for me).

I'm also doing mission participation tracking.  I made myself a sheet for all my missions I have data for and have been playing with it.

Quote from: arajca on September 29, 2015, 09:05:58 PM
I created the Excel spread sheet there. Initially, I did for my own use, but I had a number of folks asking for something similar. I haven't kept up with all the specialty track changes as there was a period I tried, but it seemed like there was something new every day, so I gave up. Besides, I had enough CAP hats on at the time.

If I recall, the password was CAP, if any one wants to have at updating the spread sheets.

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can make the new checklists into a fillable form. I may take a crack at a couple...

Added:
I spent about 10 minutes extracting the checklists and converting them to a fillable form that you can with the data for the LG track.

That password works.  I didn't bother with making fillable PDF sheets because we'd probably have to download, update an item, re-upload, delete duplicates....then do it again next week.

arajca

Quote from: JC004 on September 29, 2015, 09:25:39 PM
That password works.  I didn't bother with making fillable PDF sheets because we'd probably have to download, update an item, re-upload, delete duplicates....then do it again next week.
Usually, you just Save it and Reader says file already exists and asks to over write it.

JC004