Squadron Officer School Distance Learning

Started by CAP277, March 05, 2014, 09:03:53 PM

CAP277

I was hoping someone could share some current information about SOS, all the topics that came up in search are dated and I'm aware the program recently has gone through a revamp. Can anyone share any tips, suggestions, study guides to assist with SOS ? How long will it take to hammer through the new version? Thanks!

MSG Mac

Look on the Air University web site which lists all the sub courses for SOS and the requirements.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BuckeyeDEJ

I completed SOS a couple of years ago, before they revamped. My understanding is that they were adding more about sexual assault awareness and harrassment issues to the first unit.

Remember: You CANNOT take the tests with local CAP testing officers. You have to go to base testing offices to take the exams, and there, they're administered on computers, so you get real-time scores.

I highly recommend SOS for every CAP s'member. Really, they should have to take it much earlier in their career, like before they make captain, definitely before they ever get tapped for a squadron commander gig.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

GroundHawg

Just sent in my proof of diploma for enrollment, I'm excited and a little nervous at the same time, I'm sure I will be fine, but still it is making me skittish.

rugger1869

FWIW, I just am finishing block D now and will be done in a few weeks.

1. There's a lot of material to cover and I wasn't real crazy how it was presented. I'm not a big fan of BlackBoard for these kinds of courses, however, YMMV

2. That being said, there is quite a bit of video and additional readings to do. What they have added in the last month, which they didn't have for the longest, is checks on learning. This is a decent way to measure your progress.

3. Since I am concurrently enrolled in the NWC, I didn't spend much time actually studying. If you're familiar with ANY military classwork on leadership, personnel management, and EEO/SH you should be fine.

4. This is a great class if you're relatively new to the military and leadership... It's created for folks that are about to take command in the USAF. The only things that really tripped me up were AF-specific G8/G1 functions that are covered in the course that I seemed to have missed. Still passed the test, though. :D

BL: It's too easy. Seriously. Good stuff in there, but it wasn't really what I expected. It is very basic IMHO, but I've been in/around the military for years. For those SM w/ little/no experience with the military it will be an excellent primer of the USAF, strategic and operational levels of war, personnel management, leadership, and the profession of arms.